Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Tesla withdrew from the party agreement with the NTSB because it requires that we not release information about Autopilot to the public, a requirement which we believe fundamentally affects public safety negatively,” the company said in an emailed statement. “We believe in transparency, so an agreement that prevents public release of information for over a year is unacceptable.”

Tesla Withdraws From NTSB Crash Probe Over Autopilot Data Flap

Tesla is doing the right thing. The timely release of safety information can help prevent fatal accidents. Now when people drive around, they are likely to notice and report compressed attenuators. Also Tesla's quick disclosure serves as a reminder to all Tesla owners: for your own safety, keep your eyes on the road.

NTSB requires them to not disclose for one year, that's absolutely not logical. Do they know how many people get killed and injured in car accidents every year? If the information is helpful to prevent accidents, why wait for a year?

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
tenor.gif

Tesla releases new Waze-like crowdsourced traffic data with latest navigation update

Anyone have any insight on how doable it would be for Tesla to allow vendors to advertise their locations in the navigation maps? For instance, Starbucks could pay Tesla to have their stores display on the screen. Of course, this users could opt-out of this.

I have always wondered why Tesla wasn't already selling the ability to have companies location populate in maps. Maybe its not Elon's mission and I respect that but it could be a huge money making opportunity for $TSLA. Especially when the M3 is ramped and lots of Tesla on roads.

I have always wondered why Tesla wasn't already selling the ability to have companies location populate in maps. Maybe its not Elon's mission and I respect that but it could be a huge money making opportunity for $TSLA. Especially when the M3 is ramped and lots of Tesla on roads.

yuck. i would personally hate this and it would be a poor move for tesla to do as it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of who their customer is.

this is like paying for hulu and still seeing ads. worst of both worlds.

Tesla Was Kicked Off Fatal Crash Probe by NTSB
The title, reflecting updated contents, changed to Tesla Was Kicked Off Fatal Crash Probe by NTSB

Quote:

The National Transportation Safety Board told Tesla Inc. on Wednesday that the carmaker was being removed from the investigation of a fatal accident, prior to the company announcing it had withdrawn from it, according to a person familiar with the discussion.

NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt relayed the decision in a call to Tesla’s Elon Musk that was described as tense by the person because the chief executive officer was unhappy with the safety board’s action. NTSB is expected to make a formal announcement in a release later Thursday, said the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
This story will not go away as fast as previous incidents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hobbes
They ran out of spots to park the Model 3s and are parking them in the aisles now.

Prepare for a shift in argument from the shorts of "Tesla can't make Model 3s" to "Tesla can't deliver all the Model 3s they make."

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

Your assembly line's writing checks that your parking lot can't cash.

That's right Wall.... Street....
I am dangerous.

Or, if you prefer Bruce Campbell:
Who wants some!?!

Really though, do we ever see people parking the cars?

Something for longs to enjoy. Look at those newly built model 3s being delivered on loads and loads of trucks:

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

Tesla needs to expand their fremont delivery center into a "factory outlet" store. Once it can handle the higher capacity, then they can discount the delivery charge to incentivize buyers to take factory delivery to save on the time and cost of loading the cars up to be trucked/trained somewhere else.

Reactions: hobbes
Tesla needs to expand their fremont delivery center into a "factory outlet" store. Once it can handle the higher capacity, then they can discount the delivery charge to incentivize buyers to take factory delivery to save on the time and cost of loading the cars up to be trucked/trained somewhere else.

By law, automakers can't discount delivery charge.

Tesla Was Kicked Off Fatal Crash Probe by NTSB
The title, reflecting updated contents, changed to Tesla Was Kicked Off Fatal Crash Probe by NTSB

Quote:

The National Transportation Safety Board told Tesla Inc. on Wednesday that the carmaker was being removed from the investigation of a fatal accident, prior to the company announcing it had withdrawn from it, according to a person familiar with the discussion.

NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt relayed the decision in a call to Tesla’s Elon Musk that was described as tense by the person because the chief executive officer was unhappy with the safety board’s action. NTSB is expected to make a formal announcement in a release later Thursday, said the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
This story will not go away as fast as previous incidents.

NTSB is wrong. Media can spin as much as they want.

The attenuator that was not set properly after an accident is an urgent public safety issue. There are likely dozens if not hundreds of this kind of situations in the nation. Withholding this information for a year is totally wrong.

The fact that the driver didn't hold the steering wheel after repeated warnings is also important. Tesla did the right thing to keep transparency and disclose these safety related info ASAP.

If Elon agrees to NTSB that going forward Tesla will not disclose info for a year, he would not be the Elon Musk that I respect.

The attenuator that was not set properly after an accident is an urgent public safety issue. There are likely dozens if not hundreds of this kind of situations in the nation. Withholding this information for a year is totally wrong.

The fact that the driver didn't hold the steering wheel after repeated warnings is also important. Tesla did the right thing to keep transparency and disclose these safety related info ASAP.

If Elon agrees to NTSB that going forward Tesla will not disclose info for a year, he would not be the Elon Musk that I respect.

Don't forget too that the lane marking was worn away (possibly causing AP to follow the wrong side of the split)

• Informative
Reactions: tizio and jelloslug

Agree. Even if I weren't a Tesla/Elon fan, I believe they are on the right moral side of the issue, which is the side that attempts to mitigate safety issues as soon as possible.

To get an idea for the intellectual laziness of shorts these days, have a look at this Tesla will collapse video. This guy (one John Thompson of Vilas Capital Management) keeps droning the same nuggets of stupidity shared by his brethren everywhere. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

The shorts are definitely feeling bold right now, which is usually a bullish indicator. As of yesterday Fidelity's securities lending rate on Tesla shares has climbed to 2.75% - the highest it's been since the Solar City buyout. In effect, the shorts are running out of shares to short. This happened before in July/Aug 2016 and April/May 2013. Both times TSLA made a big upward move in the 12 months that followed, gaining in excess of 50%. Full disclosure I'm long TSLA.

• Informative
Reactions: sub and EinSV
Status
Not open for further replies.