Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it is worth. I have a lower overhead ($120M) for Q1, but I have it growing somewhat over the next quarters (as more equipment gets put into service). I also have a lower marginal additional profit contribution per car ($8k), but I have this number growing over the next quarters (reflecting volume discounts from suppliers and increased production efficiencies). While slightly more sophisticated, the end result is the same : gross margins should easily be double digit positive when we hit 5k/week.
My margin worksheet is a crude mock-up based on info that I got from luvb2b's Q1 thread, thank you guys for such in-depth analysis. I just did that exercise for myself to get some ballpark understanding of that thread, and not going to pretend that my calculations is anywhere near as accurate, sophisticated, or original as what you guys did in that thread :D

My margin worksheet is a crude mock-up based on info that I got from luvb2b's Q1 thread, thank you guys for such in-depth analysis. I just did that exercise for myself to get some ballpark understanding of that thread, and not going to pretend that my calculations is anywhere near as accurate, sophisticated, or original as what you guys did in that thread :D

Interactive versions of that same table:

Tableau Public

Tableau Public

The significance of this study is to be able to negate FUD re: health effects of BEVs.

Some patients with cardiac rhythm problems have implanted devices to monitor and control heart rate. These devices are susceptible to interference from electromagnetic field variation (EMI). Changing electric current or voltage can cause EMI, and so with such electromagnetic induction in the normal functioning of a BEV, it was not unreasonable for cardiologists to want to confirm that these vehicles posed no risk to patients. Below is my summary/commentary. Any potential inaccuracies are mine.

Title: Implantable Cardiac Devices are Safely Shielded from Electric Automobiles

108 people with pacemakers and automatic defibrillators were studied in BEV’s to determine if the electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the flow of electricity in the vehicle would affect their implanted devices. Subjects were studied in all aspects of BEV use (rapid acceleration, regenerative braking, normal driving, charging, rapid charging). The EMI was strongest during rapid charging, but there was no evidence of interference with the subjects implanted cardiac devices. PHEVs were excluded from the patient evaluation because preliminary evaluation of PHEVs made it clear that flows of electricity, and therefore electromagnetic field variation, was too low in PHEVs to pose any risk. This was a European study; “the 4 most popular” BEVs were used (therefore I assume Tesla was in the mix). I don’t have access to more details.

Reference: Lennerz et al. Electric Cars and electromagnetic interference with cardiac implantable electronic devices: A cross-sectional evaluation. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2018 April 24.

Off topic but short, interesting and potentially supportive of Tesla mission as a lowest cost energy source.

Have you ever been frustrated to read of some government funded science boondoggle, that, like a ‘Walking Dead’ zombie, can never be killed and is funded to the exclusion of more innovative and cost effective approaches which deserve research dollars? Maybe you wished you could make your voice heard and move the gov't department to spread the available resources more widely and fund some promising “ moon shots”.

If you have, an opportunity is now available to give a small push to a research effort working on a very promising moon shot project. This effort has a good chance of demonstrating to Congress and vested scientific interests how productive funding more than one approach can be. If you wish to learn more about this moon shot project, follow link to this recent post on the Energy, Environment, and Policy subtopic:
Clean low cost hydrogen boron fusion and impact on environment

Bosch announces emissions breakthrough that could save diesel

Claims nitrogen oxide drops to one-tenth of Europe's strict limits

Speaking at the company's annual news conference outside Stuttgart, CEO Volkmar Denner said the solution is available now and can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost.

"After this ecological rehabilitation, diesel can take off again. It is not combustion engines that are being made obsolete, but rather the debate about their imminent demise."

Simply incredible......."Speaking at the company's annual news conference outside Stuttgart, CEO Volkmar Denner said the solution is available now and can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost.

"Combustion engines — whether powered by diesel or gasoline — will soon emit so little in the way of particulates and nitrogen oxides that they will have no significant impact on the air," he said"

Perhaps he should be the first to volunteer himself for the next diesel engine monkey test......?

Speaking at the company's annual news conference outside Stuttgart, CEO Volkmar Denner said the solution is available now and can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost.

"After this ecological rehabilitation, diesel can take off again. It is not combustion engines that are being made obsolete, but rather the debate about their imminent demise."

You know what? I don't believe them. It might be true, but it's too little, too late.

I suspect this tech would work, but that it sacrifices a lot of the responsiveness for torque and power in various situations. Like, maybe you'll only get 50 hp in -20C.

Basically, I'm going with: There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I suspect this tech would work, but that it sacrifices a lot of the responsiveness for torque and power in various situations. Like, maybe you'll only get 50 hp in -20C.

Also, if that is the case, I guarantee you chip-tuning would become a lot more popular. So, while the cars would be clean before tampering, there are no guarantees that they won't be tampered with.

A lot of those "clean" Euro6 trucks driving into Norway have the Adblue/urea pollution controls disabled, to save a few cents per mile... (And they often have a switch in the cabin so that if anyone tries to test the exhaust, they can enable the pollution controls.)

TBH, I'm not sure if pollution is even in my top reasons to get an EV any more, these below rank higher for me
  • quiet
  • quick
  • charge at home
  • low maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.