Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stumbled across this updated report on the model 3 by Edmunds:
Monthly Update for April 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Be forewarned that this is an incredibly scathing report, to the point where it is hard to believe they are talking about the same vehicle that so many owners are raving about.
oh my god after all these bull I have to reach the conclusion that it's us against the world. What a load of @#$%! I am routinely drive like 80 on high way and getting 235wh per mile.

I just stumbled across this updated report on the model 3 by Edmunds:
Monthly Update for April 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Be forewarned that this is an incredibly scathing report, to the point where it is hard to believe they are talking about the same vehicle that so many owners are raving about.

Reads like a bunch of people expecting the car to work how they're used to, and not learn how to do things as designed.

To be fair, I've encountered some of the same glitches initially, but after a few days (calibration bugs?), haven't had a problem since. As for the audio, I wonder if someone was remotely messing with that staffer?

Reactions: gene
Reads like a bunch of people expecting the car to work how they're used to, and not learn how to do things as designed.

To be fair, I've encountered some of the same glitches initially, but after a few days (calibration bugs?), haven't had a problem since. As for the audio, I wonder if someone was remotely messing with that staffer?

Most of the issues sound like the phantom touch problem they had with the center display.
Phantom touch on the Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Any Model 3 owners here can comment on the Edmunds article. I did.
Thanks! We do need some model 3 owners to post comments regarding their experience with the car. It really looks like the only thing they liked was the performance, which they raved about. In fact, they liked the performance so much that one of them commented they would buy it over a BMW 3 series.

"After my drive, a friend of mine asked me how the Model 3 compares to the current BMW 3 Series, and I told him I'd rather have the Tesla. He laughed. I wasn't kidding." — Josh Sadlier, senior manager content strategy

I guess that means you have to take all of the complaints with a grain of salt, since despite such harsh complaints of the car, they would still prefer it to a BMW.

yes, edmunds and CR are notoriously biased organizations

that or Tesla is a cult and the cars actually suck

which is more likely?
Hmmm. Did you read the Edmunds report? Check it out. I do find it interesting after all of the detailed complaints about the car, the "senior manager content strategy" says he would rather have the Tesla than a BMW. If the model 3 actually sucks, that comment isn't very flattering for BMW.

Hmmm. Did you read the Edmunds report? Check it out. I do find it interesting after all of the detailed complaints about the car, the "senior manager content strategy" says he would rather have the Tesla than a BMW. If the model 3 actually sucks, that comment isn't very flattering for BMW.
Every bear knows that EVs, in general, are more fun and a seemingly better drive. I am not challenging that.

The irony is this is why Tesla is completely dead in the water. The ONLY thing about them that makes them appealing, is going to be the same, if not better in every other high performance EV on the market. Only the competition is better capitalized, more experienced, and less debt laden than Tesla. Oh most will have the full FIT credit too.

EV's are cool, they are fun to drive. They make ICE seem antiquated. That is simply because the release of stored energy can be done instantaneously, whereas ICE engines have to produce the energy as well.

The speed and silence of a Tesla is actually not a competitive advantage at all, I think most bulls dont realize/understand that.

Every bear knows that EVs, in general, are more fun and a seemingly better drive. I am not challenging that.

The irony is this is why Tesla is completely dead in the water. The ONLY thing about them that makes them appealing, is going to be the same, if not better in every other high performance EV on the market. Only the competition is better capitalized, more experienced, and less debt laden than Tesla. Oh most will have the full FIT credit too.

EV's are cool, they are fun to drive. They make ICE seem antiquated. That is simply because the release of stored energy can be done instantaneously, whereas ICE engines have to produce the energy as well.

The speed and silence of a Tesla is actually not a competitive advantage at all, I think most bulls dont realize/understand that.
Ahhh, got it. You are betting that the competition will soon be producing better battery vehicles than Tesla. That perspective probably doesn't give Tesla enough credit for their battery technology. So far, the competition doesn't have the car or battery performance of Tesla, not to mention they aesthetically don't have much appeal to the public compared with Tesla. But, you already know that. It's the future possibilities from the other car companies you are envisioning. It is possible, and it does look like most of the car companies are now working on designs. We will get a better idea of your theory around 2021/2022 from the looks of things. Until then, Tesla will likely keep selling everything they make.

[snip]

[snip]

you do raise an interesting point... after all, it was all those same advantages that led to Barnes and Noble squashing Amazon. oh wait, those became sunken assets, resistance, and a money losing business, when the platform shifted. the ICE mfgs will have to spend as much as Tesla in building up EVs, but, their ICE business will go from one that provides cash to one that drains cash.

Last edited:
It's the future possibilities from the other car companies you are envisioning. It is possible, and it does look like most of the car companies are now working on designs. We will get a better idea of your theory around 2021/2022 from the looks of things. Until then, Tesla will likely keep selling everything they make.

Yes. And then it makes one wonder why wall street isn't pricing any of these other car companies' stock like their future is going to be brighter than their present. (like Tesla) I think WS sees all the logical and structural reasons why pivoting over to EV isn't going to be any easier for their business models than it will be for Tesla to scale up. But we've discussed those liabilities extensively.

Reactions: sub and bdy0627

Heard of a company called IBM, or Nokia? What about Lucent?

of course speed and silence are not competitive advantage, major car manufactures spent money on those just keep their engineers happy, not to sell cars at all.

You might be over-projecting your personal preference onto other people, just raising that as a possibility. I used to have a subscription to Car and Driver for years, but gradually over the last 5 years or so I really start to get bored, then annoyed whenever they go on and on about engine notes. By the time they started pimping highend luxury sedans that can "tune" their engine noise to make it sound like a V8 from a turbo 4, that was the last straw for me. I unsubscribed shortly after the engine noise engineering became a regular topic on C&D.

BTW, I thought all the shorts hate Tesla because they are "all sizzle and no steak". Do you realize how appropriate that saying fits engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.