Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asking this questions for a long time. That Model 3 adoption will be somewhat limited by the charging infrastructure for condo dwellers. It is a pain in the ass to get the condo board to approve charging. Also, for places outside of EV friendly countries, the charging infrastructure is not really advancing that fast.

I asked around about people who bought the model 3 in my city. Most of them are young professionals who live in apartment and condos and cannot afford a townhouse or a detached.

I am currently mulling over the parking issue and do not think I can have charging installed at the place I park. Sadly, street parking at a charger in my city means that my car will have 100% chance of being broken into within a year.
Why do you think you can not have charging installed at the place you park? and what can happen to change that? Maybe if there is enough demand, there could be a way.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Brando
Yes, and these are outliers or 'next five years' problems similar to 'hey, I like those newfangled gasoline cars but there are horse hitches everywhere. Only a few gas stations in my metro area, though.'

Charging problems are real. It's a lot of inconvenience for some people. When you have to juggle around work and family, the inconvenience will shut some people out of the EV market.

I agree with the direction but I think it would take more than five years.

Ironically, the more EVs produced by major car manufactures, the faster this problem will be solved. So the big guys have two choices, pump up more EVs trying to compete with Tesla and kill their own ICE business at the same time, or ignore EVs and be killed.

I'm not happy with Elon blaming the media regarding negative Tesla coverage. I think it's largely Tesla's responsibility to step up and take control of their own narrative.

More thoughts here,
Articles/megaposts by DaveT

I feel shorts and special interest groups (oil, ICE industries) have been using media as a weapon to damage Tesla. 10 million dollars can buy a lot of attacks. This weapon is very effective at damaging Tesla's reputation. I can't think of a better solution other than what Elon is trying to do. This should work.

80% of US population support clean energy development. If media are just trying to get clicks, lots of them would write normally or positively about Tesla, they would still get a lot of clicks. But majority of them write negatively only. It's not media going negative on Tesla. It's shady money behind them going against Tesla. Elon can't say it without proof. To me it's obvious.

Tesla can control their own narrative, but majority of the public is surrounded by propaganda and fake news. Tesla's image will continue to be tarnished no matter what. I frequently meet people and they say "Tesla's quality is really bad", "Tesla gets a lot of fire", "Tesla is unsafe", "Tesla will bankrupt", "Elon Musk just seeks tax incentives", "Tesla treat their workers badly",.., I don't know where they got those ideas. I do know these people won't consider Tesla cars.

Last edited:
Video just out on their rating and Elon’s response.

this is YouTube... might be a good idea to watch and put constructive comments before the bash Tesla comments pile up at the top

CR's Jake Fisher: If braking distance matches class after the fix, score would be raised to high enough to recommend.

Fisher spoke with Elon for about an hour last night. Tesla and CR seem to be working constructively on this, and in a helpful dialog on CR's other main complaints.

this is YouTube... might be a good idea to watch and put constructive comments before the bash Tesla comments pile up at the top
I really liked this interview and the perspective of the CR crew. Clearly, the Model 3 is going to improve quickly as a direct result of CR's testing on it, and probably not just the brakes. He mentions that Elon is interested in seeing what he can do to improve the controls that CR complained involved too many steps to adjust. Air adjustment, mirrors, difficult keycard access, high tire pressures, and wind noise are all discussed. This is all positive to me.

Trivia: "Pravda" in many slavic languages (Polish, Russian, Czech, etc) means "Truth".

Daring.

I'd stay away from this. Obviously a bias of an ex-professor of Soviet studies. Way before Trump and the invention of "fake news" Stalinists and later talked about false consciousness, a dangerous trend I would not like to be associated with in any way.

Buddhists say the master believed "perception is reality." On one level that is indisputable. In at least first impression my reality seems to be true until persuaded otherwise. Obviously some perceptions of the same events are different and we can all be mistaken. In my first exposure to graduate work in the philosophy of science it was suggested scientific statements of fact are, in principle, subject to agreement by everyone. Buddhists also believe our minds can trick us into delusions and the key to enlightenment is eradication of the "self;" many religions agree.

Kant's categorical imperative, his ethical principle, can be simply stated and is what ethical journalists try to emulate. When confronted with a moral dilemma, Kant argues, try to act in guidance of a principle anyone would use to address the situation. Ethics, science, politics, journalism—any quest is a social process. The quest can be noble or evil depending on the motivation of followers. I'm sure Curt Renz could say even more in simpler terms and with much authority.

Edit: Just now, having seen the above discussion between Fisher and Elon, this is precisely what should occur when the well-intentioned reach resolution through discussion.

I'm so glad Elon is finally working on the website. This probably will turn out to be the beginning of the end of fake news/propaganda industry. This is a HUGE industry, and it hurts the society more than tobacco. Now they will lose the shady income.

I don’t know if the outcome will be as you say but I do know this will turn out good for Tesla and bad for the media.

A lesson I learned early in life; always know exactly who you are dealing with before taking them on. Certain people should have heeded that concerning the last election.

The media can not win this in the end against this man and his supporters. Best to quickly and quietly back out and disappear while they still can like a certain Mr. Broder.

Charging problems are real. It's a lot of inconvenience for some people. When you have to juggle around work and family, the inconvenience will shut some people out of the EV market.

Oh, you mean like the inconvenience of having to stop at a gas station every week to fill up, while juggling around work and family?

You’re just making excuses. Anyone who wants to make it work - can.

Reactions: Sudre
Joke?
Musk Filed for Pravda Business Months Before Scorning the Media

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.45.19 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold

Feels like honest criticism with no apparent alternative motive, refreshing. Anyone else notice that all "news" of Tesla contains the parroted "cash burn, manufacturing problems yada yada yada" in every article after the click bait title? Typically it's a sentence or two of new "news" then multiple paragraphs repeating this same garbage. It almost feels like it's an obligatory legal disclaimer at this point.

Edmunds runs ads from many major car manufacturers, but not from Tesla.

When you ask for info on the Model 3, you see this:

sponsored cars to consider

Ad

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
With pure electric range and trendsetting tech, Bolt EV is every reason to drive electric.

SEARCH INVENTORY
Chevrolet.com

Do you really think Edmunds, which makes money advertising Tesla's competitors but not Tesla, is objective?

Why do you think you can not have charging installed at the place you park? and what can happen to change that? Maybe if there is enough demand, there could be a way.

Not enough demand currently. Just me. And it's hard to prove a point with just me.

What can happen to change that? Hmm gov mandate charging parking spot? Or less drug addict breaking all the car windows on the whole street to look for a penny so I can consider street parking+ charging. I don't know, condo boards are a pain. Most condos before Model 3 started getting delivered here (probably 100%) don't have any charging installed right now and maybe... maybe new ones will have them. Plus gated parking is reserved for those few who buys 1.2million + condos.

Or I can just move to a cheaper place and buy a house. Ya a strictly non USA problem of a city with rampant housing+opiod crisis. Europe might be a better location. I remember chatting with a German and they've never even heard of Fentanyl.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Not enough demand currently. Just me. And it's hard to prove a point with just me.

What can happen to change that? Hmm gov mandate charging parking spot? Or less drug addict breaking all the car windows on the whole street to look for a penny so I can consider street parking+ charging. I don't know, condo boards are a pain. Most condos before Model 3 started getting delivered here (probably 100%) don't have any charging installed right now and maybe... maybe new ones will have them. Plus gated parking is reserved for those few who buys 1.2million + condos.

Or I can just move to a cheaper place and buy a house. Ya a strictly non USA problem of a city with rampant housing+opiod crisis. Europe might be a better location. I remember chatting with a German and they've never even heard of Fentanyl.
I think eventually as more EVs are out there, the demand will make condo owners put chargers in. in California, a lot of people charge at work or during their drive, so lack of condo charging will not completely preventing people from buying EVs. And once people bought EVs, the condos that have charging infrastructure will have a better chance to attract those renters. Other little things, such as when people realize that EV's are quieter, will prefer to have neighbors who have EV instead of loud ICE cars.

Also utilities could see the need to get ahead of EV charging infrastructure, both to make a buck, and also proactively control the charging drain on their grid, such as PG&E's effort in Northern California.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
My thoughts on today's developments:

1. Elon's website idea is not a great one. For someone who is very smart, I'm surprised that not only does he think it's a good idea, but it's HIS idea. I like the idea in principle, and agree that many journalists and publications (of course not all) have gone to crap in the internet era. (My own autopilot interview with the Wall Street Journal a few years ago was a personal example where I encountered that sort of stuff). But having people vote on the truth is not a good idea. The poor shape that the US political scene is in (and in general the lack of ethics in American society) has proven that will not be a successful idea.

I think the model that Snopes uses (small group of contributors that leave opinion out of it and back up everything they say with heavy doses of irrefutable evidence) is a much better approach.

2. Although I think Elon is very intelligent and always has the best intentions and ethics at heart--and I'm a big fan of his--sometimes he just needs to keep other ramblings off Twitter. Arguing about unions and the state of journalism on social media is never going to be very fruitful. I think it will just in totality create more enemies. Better to just keep his nose down and let actions speak for themselves. Don't think Tesla employees want a union? Great. Hold a vote, then release the results, showing that the employees don't want it. Then move on. Let the vote do your talking for you.

3. RE Consumer Reports: First, Elon handled the M3 criticism much better this time around, compared to the last bit of CR criticism. Not wise to pick fights with them. Most here know I am an uber Tesla bull/fan. Put my Model S reservation down in Jan 2010, so I've been here awhile. But I think we as a community look pretty stupid crying foul with Consumer Reports. I don't agree with everything they say, and I think they sometimes don't see the brilliance in revolutionary products, but in general I think they're fairly unbiased. Their concerns with the interface are just opinions that don't mean much (and I disagree with them), but the interface will likely nevertheless improve as a result of the criticism. The whole brake issue is a legitimate concern and Tesla should have caught it. Regardless, although it has impacted the stock and company image short term, assuming Tesla puts out a software update shortly that CR can confirm fixes the braking issue, it will be a net positive for Tesla (especially if braking gets even better than spec).

now this poll... have at it everyone : )

"Create a media credibility rating site (that also flags propaganda botnets)

89%Yes, this would be good
11%No, media are awesome"

Twitter

Elon's pretty sharp
Someone, make it on a blockchain, I'm too busy. That's the way to do it to prevent bots - so every user need to make some proof of work ( in the browser for example) to show he's real and to make it too expensive for the botnets to fake it on the large scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.