Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking News: Tesla sales in China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
went insane, some models are sold out on day 1 in different cities right after China lower the tariff tax. Tesla Model X 75D in Shanghai Experience Center has been sold out.

here is my tweet with link: vincent on Twitter

Breaking News: Tesla sales in China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
went insane, some models are sold out on day 1 in different cities right after China lower the tariff tax. Tesla Model X 75D in Shanghai Experience Center has been sold out.

here is my tweet with link: vincent on Twitter

By sold out, you mean the inventory of cars available for immediate purchase/delivery is sold out? They can still order a car and wait for it to be shipped over after being built, right? Or does Tesla China only do inventory cars?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If you'll allow a late-night tangent... For all you FUD fighters out there: there's a Volvo forum called SwedeSpeed that I frequent (I'm also a Volvo PHEV owner). On that site there's a thread purporting to compare the XC90 with the Model X.

It started out ok but morphed over time into a place where a certain subset of Volvo aficianados come to dump on Tesla, largely with FUD articles. I and a couple of others drop in from time to time to share our experiences, but are greatly outnumbered. If anyone here would like to share thoughts over there, I certainly wouldn't object to the backup. Volvo owners largely tend to have what I'd consider great potential to become Tesla owners: Volvo's key selling point is generally seen as safety, an area where Tesla also shines. And prospective Volvo buyers are in the market for luxury vehicles. I therefore would love to see that thread move in a more rational, balanced manner. I just don't have the time, patience, or will to keep up with the trolls. And of course arguments are more persuasive when it's not just the same person rehashing then over and over...

If you'll allow a late-night tangent... For all you FUD fighters out there: there's a Volvo forum called SwedeSpeed that I frequent (I'm also a Volvo PHEV owner). On that site there's a thread purporting to compare the XC90 with the Model X.

It started out ok but morphed over time into a place where a certain subset of Volvo aficianados come to dump on Tesla, largely with FUD articles. I and a couple of others drop in from time to time to share our experiences, but are greatly outnumbered. If anyone here would like to share thoughts over there, I certainly wouldn't object to the backup. Volvo owners largely tend to have what I'd consider great potential to become Tesla owners: Volvo's key selling point is generally seen as safety, an area where Tesla also shines. And prospective Volvo buyers are in the market for luxury vehicles. I therefore would love to see that thread move in a more rational, balanced manner. I just don't have the time, patience, or will to keep up with the trolls. And of course arguments are more persuasive when it's not just the same person rehashing then over and over...

So with Sweden really supporting Volvo (which is now owned by a Chinese firm) and Norway being probably the largest buyer of Teslas in Europe, is there the possibilty of electric car wars? I've got a lot of relatives in Norway, I'll have to ask them what they've heard. This could get wild. Does Sweden have the same low electricity rates that Norway has?

Are we so blind to the problems bothering the common men now?

I used to live in a town called downers Grove, il. It's a middle class suburban town close to Chicago. Till today not many apartments there have charging for ev. Say you live in one of those places. The closest charging station is one mile away. The closest gas station is 2 Miles away. A trip to the gas station is about 6min driving and 2min fill up, in sort of the worst case scenario. To charge an ev though, you really need to plan for it. Either you wait there for hours or you walk back home which take about 40minutes round trip. And while charging you don't have a car to drive, you can't pickup your kids from daycare.

The ability to charge the car while you sleep or work makes a huge difference. Many people in this country don't have that. And they have to make time for charging. Those are real problems, not execuses.

Sure if you really want to make it work, you can. But for most people car is a means of transportation. It should serve their needs, not the other way around.

I don't have to make excuses for myself. I am a first day line waiter and now a Model 3 owner. But that doesn't mean we have to be blind to the real problem out there.
You're right!

We proposed a solution (a little too common man for Tesla), two years ago - publication cycles are a while.
More Efficient Inductive Electric Vehicle Charger: Using Autonomy to Improve Energy Efficiency

Since it has been so long, the PDF is here:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ergy-Efficiency.pdf?origin=publication_detail

We think the flush version would work fine after being run over by street sweepers (we used an F-250 as a quick check). And it should be 3% more efficient than the most efficient non contact chargers - this one is like an electric toothbrush charger and should have a charging efficiency of 96% [about half the losses], but it does not exactly screem high tech.

More for the common man. But with electric vehicles that is currently a mostly empty set.

You're right. And not entirely alone.

[Edit: Note: the batteries will last approximately twice as long if you charge every night with < 80% charge vs. once a week at 100% charge. This means the integral of cost for the dedicated apartment household charger is less than if you use a fast charger down the street and only charge once a week. It is both less expensive and better for the environment.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UrsS
Are we so blind to the problems bothering the common men now?

From where I’m sitting THE problem bothering the common man is global warming.

Sure if you really want to make it work, you can. But for most people car is a means of transportation. It should serve their needs, not the other way around.

You mean that car that’s been poisoning them and this planet for a century?

So yeah, find a way to make it work as soon as you can.

Tesla battery plan gets green light as Gupta reveals major power play

Cool article about the SA government embracing batteries. No need to fact check this one Elon, its all Tesla love.
Also, there is some talk about building a EV factory, but Im not understanding exactly who will build these cars. Can anyone verify if its Tesla or someone else.

Edit: there is mention of a purchase of 50,000 powerpacks. It’s unclear wether the government is paying for these

There is an English fellow of Indian decent, a Mr Gupta who has purchased a distressed steelworks in Wyalla

• Love
Reactions: neroden
There is an English fellow of Indian decent, a Mr Gupta who has purchased a distressed steelworks in Wyalla
Woops pressed a wrong button.

Anyway, Mr Gupta (nothing to do with Tesla) tried to buy the GM abandoned car plant in Adelaide SA to start making his own Electric cars.
This didn’t come to anything so he is now looking in Victoria where there are also abandoned GM and Ford plants.
When Tesla did the big battery for SA the then SA Premier tried to get Elon to start a factory in SA. This didn’t come to anything either.

Reactions: wipster and SteveG3
I think they call it something else there.
View attachment 303365
Wow, I thought we were the only country helping kill ourselves. A quick google shows this opioid sales job has hit Europe now also. Hopefully we’re cresting here but we’re 67,000 deaths in 2017 in USA alone. Taking more than 3 days can permanently change brain chemistry. Statistics aren’t great, but probably over 500,000 deaths in USA since 2010. This is a supplier issue. They have sold pain treatment as a hunan rights issue and encouraged doctors and nurses to use opioids where Tylenol and other pain killers are as effective. 15% of people are addicted on the first use.
Sorry for off track.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11 and 22522
Status
Not open for further replies.