Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some of what I wrote got lost in (my) translation, or maybe we simply disagree:
I just think that he could have avoided speaking about media "in general" and joking and trolling in the subsequent tweets. He rallied his troops like the others did (that poll), and joked about Pravda (which was even funny, but in the flame the irony got a bit lost too...).
I'm all for Musk defending Tesla and real progress in sustainable energy;
I'm personally less for Musk creating unnecessary adversaries in NGO and indipendent investigative agencies who actually do a good job in speaking truth to power, uncovering war/financial/politica crimes, etc. See for ex. the FoP tweet I poste before.
I just think it's unnecessary and hurtful for Tesla, and I think that people who will benefit from it are the real enemies of Tesla. And given that he's not an omniscient god (you said it yourself), I don't see why I'm not entitled to argue that he made a mistake ;-)
This is the only place where I can criticize him among people who know his work and why he's pissed off about the media, and the perfect place to have a rational discussion about this.

You can definitely argue he made a mistake because he’s human and not an OG. My point was basically, what’s the point of doing that in the first place? Makes no sense to me to judge someone for being human and point out what you feel are their mistakes, which you should have been expecting them to make in the first place. Especially someone who is otherwise a remarkable human doing arguably superhuman things. It’s akin to standing in the shadows and waiting for the mistake and then popping out and yelling, ‘Aha! I knew you weren’t an OG!’ Did everyone see that? Mistake!’.

He’s at the end of his rope concerning the media butchery. In his shoes I’d have gotten there several years ago and I’m pretty sure I’d have foibled the retort by an order of magnitude that you think he did.

I get you don’t like his approach and you’re entitled to those thoughts and feelings on the topic. I take no issue with that. My objection is the public judgement of the man from people who have no idea what he goes through day in and day out. Walk in his shoes a bit and you might find that your judgements/criticisms are better kept to an internal eyeroll or head shake.

I hope he crushes everything and everyone in his path to the end game, including the media if needs be. I’m tired of all the crap going on on this planet. People suck.

If the media doesn't report relevant news because their feelings got hurt, that proves they are biased...
(If Tesla having trouble is news, Tesla improving is news)

I totally hear you and I agree with Elon and you and other posters about the state of the media. Believe me, I come from a country where it's probably even worse :)

But going to war with the establishment and me vs them narrative is a risky game, especially when you run a business. It worked great for Apple (in the long run, short term it ended pretty bad) but they went after IBM, not the media. It worked great so far for Tesla as their going against the OEMs of old. But going after the people who do control the narrative (as badly as it sounds) is very risky and there's minimal chance of success. Elon is great at solving technical problems with minimal chance of success, but this one is a people's problem and no website with no great technology is going to solve that.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play their game. For the greater good.

Two observations about the Musk/media kerfuffle. 1) There's an old saying, "there is danger entering a public fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." Don't read this will just make you mad but is a real hatchet job.

Why Is Elon Musk Attacking the Media? We Explain. (Also, Give Us a Good Rating!)

2) I'm thinking about writing the Times about terminating my online subscription because they do not spell bankwuptcy correctly. Apparently the Old Grey Lady has no sense of humor.
Journos have each others back. Journos fell for shorts story therefore creating more shorts. They really don't know that this happened oblivious and or contempt. Majority is not out to get tesla they just follow the herd.

But going to war with the establishment and me vs them narrative is a risky game, especially when you run a business.
Two points:
1. Going to war with the establishment is what Tesla has been all about from the beginning. That's why they've gotten so much push back.
2. Going to war with the establishment and me vs them narrative is very popular with the public these days. Our last election proved it, (even though we ended up with just another establishment insider anyway).

The smaller states already have disproportionate representation via having two senators per state. No-one is talking about changing that, at least as far as I can tell.
Well, I am. The Senate is an abomination.

The bottom line is that minority rule is unacceptable, just as it was unacceptable in South Africa. We have a Bill of Rights and powers reserved to the states and to the people to protect the minority, but we CANNOT accept the minority running roughshod over the majority. Which is going on right now. It is undemocratic.

I'm actually surprised by how many people here are upset over Musk's media comments. I would guess that most of you are older and wealthier than me. Have you not traveled outside of the USA? It's been obvious to me for 12 years that the media in the USA, as a whole, is terrible. It does more harm than good. I'm fully in agreement with Musk's assessment of US media.

I also think many people still don't "get" why Trump is President. It wasn't that half of this country thought he would be a good President. It's that half of this country is completely tired of media manipulation, corruption, and didn't want to vote for the poster-child of political corruption. Many votes weren't "for" Trump. They were a vote against the establishment.

If more people would stop watching TV news, stop reading garbage from CNN, Fox News, the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, etc, I think we'd see more rational thinking.
I can tell you where to find good US media.

Vox for general interest stuff
Teen Vogue (!!!)
Fivethirtyeight
Electrek
Any number of other specialty blogs

The legacy media in the US ranges from junk to actually corrupt (WSJ, Fox).

This has been an issue for so long -- it became obvious in 2000 with the media hatchet job attacks on Al Gore, our greatest living statesman, and sucking up to that idiot G W Bush --- that multiple groups already exist to rate and criticize bad media, including Media Matters and Columbia Journalism Review.

The problem actually dates to William Randolph Hearst, who invented fake "objectivity" as an excuse to create newspaper monopolies. This never happened in the UK which is why UK newspapers are still partisan *and* still generally honest. You know exactly which side they are on but they don't mess with the facts... Check three papers, same facts, three blatant attitudes, and you can figure out the truth for yourself. In the Us, however, fake objectivity is used to hide lies behind a veneer of "objectiveness".

Last edited:
Letting people vote on truth would be horrible. Look what they did in the last general election! ;) (granted the options were terrible, but so far a large portion of the population has been accepting lies for some time as truth)

I think more interesting would be a site that was well researched with information vetted by professionals, with references etc, (something like Snopes but for news) but before you got to see the answer to whether the thing was true / accurate / whatever, you had to vote (anonymously) what you believed... then those who were misled can see just how many others were misled too, that they're not alone, and it's a big problem.
Media Matters does that fact checking. You should suggest the vote-before-reading idea to them and to Snopes...

How Ford and the German Automakers Are Bridging a Tesla "Moat"

Let me summarize their thinking:
Tesla’s supercharging network is not a moat, because :
- the just started Ionity network will be at the end of 2020 where Tesla is today (assuming the rollout is on schedule).
- Tesla ‘s network won’t be free. But they don’t mention/consider the fact that Tesla’s kWh price is practically the same as home charging (making usage a no-brainer financially), while Porsche has stated that their kWh price would be similar to ICE costs, i.e probably 3x-4x the home charging price (priced to prevent usage, which will impact the budget for building out the network).

I'm so glad Elon is finally working on the website. This probably will turn out to be the beginning of the end of fake news/propaganda industry. This is a HUGE industry, and it hurts the society more than tobacco. Now they will lose the shady income.
Full credit, the beginning of the end was probably Media Matters ( founded by a former propagandist who had a 'seeing the light' moment). The major propaganda outfits hate them with a passion for the combo of fact checking and tracking earlier propaganda by the same outfit.

gD it I prefer positive news, makes me feel good:D Edit: I held off over night posting this intentionally, to cool off.

This article is off the rails Opinion | Elon Musk’s meltdown makes perfect sense

FYI ~ because people in the past have failed to go up against the establishment we are where we are today.

Anyone can pile on, anyone!

Every time, and I do mean every time when Tesla encounters a problem ~ they fix it, and fix it better than before. Model 3 brakes, I’ll bet you they will be better than any other manufacturer out there once Tesla is done. Autopilot, I’ll bet you that if something is wrong, Tesla will make it better than it currently is before they are told. Sooner if over the air. I have tried here to tell you from personal experience the car performs beyond autopilot, beyond other battery life.

The auto industry as a whole has allowed the media to put them in this boat since the seventies when they created the mantra against labor. The second flaw in the media landscape is how they were manipulated into creating and publishing fake news. Lastly this is a multi-pronged attack on us as a society; like that thought or not. I am here as a long because everyone else fails to open their front door and realize that if they stand upright, they can improve things around them!

My extremely tiny footprint brought your kids soccer and soccer moms back in the mid-sixties. My tiny footprint brought you NESA and a scouting program that eventually became inclusive instead of exclusive. My tiny footprint helped keep you safe so your father could protest a war, and kept the Russians at bay. What has your bigger footprint got to offer? Please do not ask me about how I got my buttocks handed to me at eighteen when I asked if Jesus really died on the cross. I did get permission to take our group to see the play Hair before I enlisted:rolleyes: Folks I am only 138 lbs really, really wet, good diet by the way.

If you took all the brain power, and personalities of everyone here lurking or partipating, we still could not make one tenth of who or what Elon Musk is to our society. I make mistakes, and if you have followed me at all, you know I own them. I have tried in my storybook style to bring humor and educate as best I can that Tesla/Elon is out of the technology and society league. I tried in the beginning to tell you from personal, first hand experience generals were horrified of computers, yet by betting my bars, and bracing myself I survived a missile launch that mechanically fell short. The gyro system failed and I went on to make first lieutenant and be placed into a majors position within a week of promotion to 1LT. My bad press was the Post Operations Colonel ripping my buttocks before any investigation in front of my platoon sergeant, battery commander and battalion commander. This is not higher moral standards, it is just being in the right place and time for a butt chewing ~ one of too many:-( Oh, and for the record; those concerned about your bs tax dollars, I never got paid more money doing the job of a senior officer position ~ told to get the job done (make it so number one).

So yes, my long bet is on Tesla/Elon. My bet is also that he will have created a climate within Tesla that the company will continue well beyond his tenure. Unlike Apple waiting for the iWind for their sales (cool, just discover I misspelled sails). Will I be here to see it, no, but maybe he will shoot me out into space as the driver of the new pickup :cool:

Do we really know if Elon’s roadster really just had an empty suit?:confused:

My wife reminded me last evening of “that which does not kill you, will make you stronger.” I responded, “well, it is not like lots of them haven’t tried to kill me.”

Well, gotta go take a shower, then open the front door, stand up right and keep painting the front of the house. The neighbors are complaining about the unfinished job ~ I fired the contractor:)

Last edited:
I was curious about he economics of dealerships. It turns out a dealership sells less than 1000 cars per year on average. I know service is where they make their money but that number is way smaller than I expected. They’re really good at milking customers.

The average number of sales was based on total vehicle sales of 16.5 million at 17,953 dealerships last year. It's an increase from 874 units on average sold per store in 2013, based on annual sales of 15.6 million units sold at 17,838 stores, a statement said.Feb 5, 2015

Elon: Model Y unveiling March 15.[/
Wow, I thought we were the only country helping kill ourselves. A quick google shows this opioid sales job has hit Europe now also. Hopefully we’re cresting here but we’re 67,000 deaths in 2017 in USA alone. Taking more than 3 days can permanently change brain chemistry. Statistics aren’t great, but probably over 500,000 deaths in USA since 2010. This is a supplier issue. They have sold pain treatment as a hunan rights issue and encouraged doctors and nurses to use opioids where Tylenol and other pain killers are as effective. 15% of people are addicted on the first use.
Sorry for off track.
gD it I prefer positive news, makes me feel good:D Edit: I held off over night posting this intentionally, to cool off.

This article is off the rails Opinion | Elon Musk’s meltdown makes perfect sense

FYI ~ because people in the past have failed to go up against the establishment we are where we are today.

Anyone can pile on, anyone!

Every time, and I do mean every time when Tesla encounters a problem ~ they fix it, and fix it better than before. Model 3 brakes, I’ll bet you they will be better than any other manufacturer out there once Tesla is done. Autopilot, I’ll bet you that if something is wrong, Tesla will make it better than it currently is before they are told. Sooner if over the air. I have tried here to tell you from personal experience the car performs beyond autopilot, beyond other battery life.

The auto industry as a whole has allowed the media to put them in this boat since the seventies when they created the mantra against labor. The second flaw in the media landscape is how they were manipulated into creating and publishing fake news. Lastly this is a multi-pronged attack on us as a society; like that thought or not. I am here as a long because everyone else fails to open their front door and realize that if they stand upright, they can improve things around them!

My extremely tiny footprint brought your kids soccer and soccer moms back in the mid-sixties. My tiny footprint brought you NESA and a scouting program that eventually became inclusive instead of exclusive. My tiny footprint helped keep you safe so your father could protest a war, and kept the Russians at bay. What has your bigger footprint got to offer? Please do not ask me about how I got my buttocks handed to me at eighteen when I asked if Jesus really died on the cross. I did get permission to take our group to see the play Hair before I enlisted:rolleyes: Folks I am only 138 lbs really, really wet, good diet by the way.

If you took all the brain power, and personalities of everyone here lurking or partipating, we still could not make one tenth of who or what Elon Musk is to our society. I make mistakes, and if you have followed me at all, you know I own them. I have tried in my storybook style to bring humor and educate as best I can that Tesla/Elon is out of the technology and society league. I tried in the beginning to tell you from personal, first hand experience generals were horrified of computers, yet by betting my bars, and bracing myself I survived a missile launch that mechanically fell short. The gyro system failed and I went on to make first lieutenant and be placed into a majors position within a week of promotion to 1LT. My bad press was the Post Operations Colonel ripping my buttocks before any investigation in front of my platoon sergeant, battery commander and battalion commander. This is not higher moral standards, it is just being in the right place and time for a butt chewing ~ one of too many:-( Oh, and for the record; those concerned about your bs tax dollars, I never got paid more money doing the job of a senior officer position ~ told to get the job done (make it so number one).

So yes, my long bet is on Tesla/Elon. My bet is also that he will have created a climate within Tesla that the company will continue well beyond his tenure. Unlike Apple waiting for the iWind for their sales (cool, just discover I misspelled sails). Will I be here to see it, no, but maybe he will shoot me out into space as the driver of the new pickup :cool:

Do we really know if Elon’s roadster really just had an empty suit?:confused:

My wife reminded me last evening of “that which does not kill you, will make you stronger.” I responded, “well, it is not like lots of them haven’t tried to kill me.”

Well, gotta go take a shower, then open the front door, stand up right and keep painting the front of the house. The neighbors are complaining about the unfinished job ~ I fired the contractor:)
Going outside talking to people and breathing some fresh air is a good thing to do (while we still have it)
If I stay too long reading all the FUD I can get angry and depressed.
Instead I think I will just buy some more stock while it is on sale.

Speculating:

With import tariffs in China falling and prices decreasing we should see a higher margin per car in that country combined with a stronger demand. That could help to achieve overall profitability quicker.

"A Tesla gallery in Shanghai has managed to sell out its entire Model X 75D inventory in 24 hours, after the Customs Tariff Commission under China’s cabinet announced that it would reduce car import duties from 20-25% to just 15% starting July 1. "

As all Models are supply constraint and S and X are not in production increase focus right now due to "all hands on deck for the 3" it would make business sense to ship as many S and X and sell them in China as possible.

Why? Well, first of all its likely a higher Margin in China for those cars so it makes sense to allocate them. Secondly China is the most attractive EV market due to government rules and incentives and every Tesla on the road will help to capture market share for the future. Third, the tax incentive in the US can be pushed further out with decreased allocation which is good for the demand on the long run in the US given that more people will benefit from the $7500 or later lower income tax deduction.

We may experience here a market prioritization that consumers may consider as unfair but to achieve profitability they should do it.

I wonder if other markets like US and Europe will get a lower allocation though.

Tesla's Shanghai gallery sells out entire Model X inventory in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.