Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't change the FACT Renault and Nissan are separate companies even if they have cross holding shares and share the same Chairman of the Board.

Nissan owns a controlling(according to Japanese law) 34% stake in Mitsubishi Motors. So that is good enough to consider them one company.

Nissan owns a veto interest 34% stake in Mitsubishi Motors, by Japanese law they can veto any decisions, but reciprocity is permitted.

Renault owns a 42% stake in Nissan, by French anti-cross holding laws, this dissallows Nissan from increasing its stake in Renault, effectively under french law Nissan is a partially owned subsidiary of Renault. the bond between Renault and Nissan is a master and servant bond. Its just that the servant is far stronger and richer than the master.

So Renault Nissan are legally much more unified than Nissan Mitsubishi.
but Renault stays true to European industrial base vs Nissan being Japanese industrial base, In some aspects there is alot more cohesion between Nissan and Mitsubishi (kei cars, transmissions), but other components also.

the issue of Renault's lordship over Nissan is the core outstanding issue of the alliance, Ghosn has made it work, but that is not natural, he is special in that regard. this also becomes personal issue, Macron and Ghosn have clashed before. de facto french state control of Nissan is a curious attribute.

Renault-Nissan cross-shareholding ratio will remain the same, Nissan says

its complex, the alliance is subject to laws of both France and Japan, neither of which are British or American in nature

How do you know Munro is more respected. Do you know who did the disassembly?

Yep. .Somehow, a Detroit dis-assembler (who I think self admitted most of his customers are Detroit/Chinese/Korean) is supposed to be more respected compared to a German dis-assembler (Whose customers make the models that M3 is competing against - Audi A4, Merc C class, BMW 3 series). I think this is opportunistic American exceptionalism from a $TSLAQ.

Click bait Tesla headline I love.

Model 3 hides an uncomfortable truth
Apparently, the truth is that it's a cash machine and it's going to get uncomfortable for the German manufacturers. Translate to English in chrome to read
The translation said “if you add $10k for production costs”.

I had thought that was part of the analysis, but it is hard to see how they could determine production costs.

its complex, the alliance is subject to laws of both France and Japan, neither of which are British or American in nature

French Law is not sovereign in Japan.

From article you quoted in ANE.

"Renault holds 43.4 percent of Nissan but agreed to limit formal control of its larger partner in a 2015 shareholder pact that defused a boardroom standoff with the French government."

Good Look with Macron telling Nissan what to do.

BTW Nissan has effective control of Mitsubsihi

From Nikkei Asian Review

"The overhaul is being spearheaded by Nissan Motor, which purchased a controlling stake in Mitsubishi after it came to light last April that Mitsubishi had cheated on fuel-economy tests for several models."

At post-scandal Mitsubishi, reforms aplenty but no hit cars

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Someone please pinch me.

6A894B76-601E-4D0F-BA4D-81806B4DBF24.jpeg

Yep. .Somehow, a Detroit dis-assembler (who I think self admitted most of his customers are Detroit/Chinese/Korean) is supposed to be more respected compared to a German dis-assembler (Whose customers make the models that M3 is competing against - Audi A4, Merc C class, BMW 3 series). I think this is opportunistic American exceptionalism from a $TSLAQ.

By the way, what is TSLAQ

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Once production scale is achieved, the cost of Model 3's parts should be comparable to Toyota Camry. Maybe a little more. It adds a motor and a battery pack, but also removes engine, transmission, starter, fuel tank, and many related parts. Most long term Tesla investors already knew this.

For the general public, the cost confirmation from German teardown report should be major news. It confirms several things:

1. Tesla can produce a mass market EV with high performance and good profit margin.
2. Model 3 doesn't use much Cobalt. (and will soon drop to zero)
3. The transition from ICE to EV will happen at a fast pace. Are legacy carmakers ready?

How dangerous is this? Audi recalls 1.2 million cars a second time due to fire risk. The first software upgrade didn’t work:

Double Down on Recall of 1.2 Million Audi Vehicles over Coolant Pump Fire Risk - Newsome | Melton

“Debris from the cooling system can allegedly block the pump, which may then erupt into a fire. Volkswagen, who owns Audi, believed that a software update could fix the problem. But fires continued happening even with the new software, which has prompted a second recall of 1.2 million vehicles.”

As longs have been trying to tell you all along:
1) Higher volume.
2) Smaller vehicle
3) No instrument panel.
4) Gigafactory.
5) More Advanced chemistry.
6) and more.

In summary, when you set one of the brightest CEOs on the planet with some of the top hi-tech talent in the world against the traditional auto/heavy manufacturing industry, you get...

A crocodile let loose amongst a lot of baby chicks.
Please can I steal this for Twitter?

As longs have been trying to tell you all along:
1) Higher volume.
2) Smaller vehicle
3) No instrument panel.
4) Gigafactory.
5) More Advanced chemistry.
6) and more.

In summary, when you set one of the brightest CEOs on the planet with some of the top hi-tech talent in the world against the traditional auto/heavy manufacturing industry, you get...

A crocodile let loose amongst a lot of baby chicks.

More like a shark in a gold fish bowl I’d say

Status
Not open for further replies.