Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if the next commentator on the factual distribution of battery sales/gifts by Tesla in Puerto Rico had some empirical evidence. Otherwise when ggr gets some spare time y'all'l be moved to the market politics thread where the discussion will remain BORING and without flamethrowers for play with each other. I do have a button which could be used to delete your asses but there are some whose brains are normally located in the usual place.

What's the meaning of this bolded by me snippet in above?

"Musk received an overwhelming vote of confidence and will continue his dual corporate role when a proposal by Norway’s wealth fund to strip him of his Chairman’s crown was defeated handily."
I don't know if they were involved in bringing forward the proposal, but they did vote for splitting the roles of CEO and chairman. They always do this at every company they invest in.

I don't know if they were involved in bringing forward the proposal, but they did vote for splitting the roles of CEO and chairman. They always do this at every company they invest in.

Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund also voted against Elon's compensation package.

I guess they think he should be paid no more than 20x base Tesla pay.

Which would be about $935k per year.

But thankfully NSWF only owns about .48% of TSLA.

• Informative
Reactions: StapleGun
Daimler revealed Semi, 38t with range of 400k in production 2021.

Comparing that to the Semi and knowing the specs will be better than initially presented I ask myself what Daimlers strategy is if they have any. Also what about charging?

Daimler fights Tesla by unveiling electric heavy-duty truck
Their line of thought seems to be "we can't do it so they can't do it either" and of course:
upload_2018-6-7_8-27-47.png

• Funny
Reactions: avoigt
Isn't that fund an "oil fund" ? Seems like the success of Tesla would be against their interests.

Well, their tax scheme for cars heavily favors BEVs and that would even more seem to undermine their interest.

After California, Norway was the most important market in launching Tesla. Without Norway I don't know that Tesla survives the cradle.

The "oil fund" is supposed to position Norway for a post fossil fuel future.

He could improve his explainantions if there were more time and he deemed it appropriate. Let's give it a try:

1) LIDAR can't read road signs, so it is not the ultimate solution. Vision has to work.
2) Today's LIDAR is reflected by fog. A way to think about reflections is to recall radios with the telescoping antennas. Reception (and reflection) only happen if the electrons in your antenna can run far enough to mimic the electrons in the transmitting antenna. Water droplets in fog are as big as the wavelengths used in today's LIDAR. The electrons in the droplet can move far enough to mimic the source, or reflect. Elon called out 4mm because that is longer than most naturally occurring conductive particles (water droplets). It does not get reflected back to you.
3) Elon might be hinting at active illumination at 4mm.

He likely said 4 mm instead of microwave to keep from frightening the audience.

4-millimeter band - Wikipedia
Vision, radar and Lidar are not mutually exclusive. I find it strange, that someone opposes Lidar e.g. because “it can’t read signs”. Nothing prevents you using all three of them simultaneously.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Well, their tax scheme for cars heavily favors BEVs and that would even more seem to underestimate their interest.

After California, Norway was the most important market in launching Tesla. Without Norway I don't know that Tesla survives the cradle.

The "oil fund" is supposed to position Norway for a post fossil fuel future.
Exactly. The oil fund just wants to reduce the extremely high CEO compensation that you see particularly in the US, and would like clear roles where the CEO runs the company and the board oversees it. It's pretty much unheard of for CEOs to be on the board in Norway, much less chairman. In fact it's illegal for the CEO to be chairman for listed companies.

And then you are talking about Lidar price... so the real reason for Tesla not to use Lidar is its price.
My understanding for Musks argumentation is that you need to solve vision so well that lidar is unnecessary. Basically, Lidar will get you 90% of the way, and then you need vision to get you to 100%. And then, at that point, you might as well get rid of the lidar because the lidar data doesn't give you anything that vision doesn't. He would rather skip the step of where you get to 90% with lidar, and go directly for 100% with vision.

Exactly. The oil fund just wants to reduce the extremely high CEO compensation that you see particularly in the US, and would like clear roles where the CEO runs the company and the board oversees it. It's pretty much unheard of for CEOs to be on the board in Norway, much less chairman. In fact it's illegal for the CEO to be chairman for listed companies.

Hey man, keep your Norwegian cultural imperialism off our Tesla.

chinesefontdesign.com_2017-05-09_09-22-20.gif

My understanding for Musks argumentation is that you need to solve vision so well that lidar is unnecessary. Basically, Lidar will get you 90% of the way, and then you need vision to get you to 100%. And then, at that point, you might as well get rid of the lidar because the lidar data doesn't give you anything that vision doesn't. He would rather skip the step of where you get to 90% with lidar, and go directly for 100% with vision.
Yes, of course, IF you solve the vision 100%, you don't need Lidar. But there is that big IF.

Reactions: Drax7
Status
Not open for further replies.