Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement of a CATL battery plant in Thüringen (Germany)

In German:

Elektroautos: Chinesen bauen Batteriezellen-Fabrik in Thüringen

• Officially announced by the state
  • Investment of a few hundred million €
  • 1000 Employees expected
  • BMW as customer
  • Daimler to be rumored as one in the future

so is catl the biggest competitor battery-wise at this time? or are they just making a lot of waves since their 50bb ipo a few weeks ago? does anyone know how their tech compares to the rest of the battery makers?

Reactions: neroden
Reactions: Lhan and GaryW
It seems Europe is entertaining the idea of lowering car tariffs , that
Would help and offset some of the lost china market.
I was under the impression that due to the dutch "factory" Tesla was exempt from tariffs as their cars are legally built in the EU. Wouldn't that hold regardless of the size of the tariff? Or am I missing something here?

Cobos

To prove that you're not trolling, why don't you search for "Model 3 Dual Motor" and post those results too?

7eNdX9E.png

Not sure if I've missed any TMC discussion of what reasons the Chinese government has to want
a Tesla GF built there, since Tesla is the only serious competitor to the larger Chinese BEV and battery
makers. A few thousand jobs from an automated factory aren't going to make any difference for an economy of their size.
A GF in China seems to guarantee that Tesla will for many years dominate the top tier of EV sales in China with the highest margins.
Past 20+ years suggest the primary reason is to steal the best EV technology and distribute to the favored Chinese EV companies. Tesla will rightfully assume that local workers and engineers working in the GF are cooperating with Chinese industrial espionage services. These services shouldn't be underestimated. They've managed over the past years to steal technical details of even the most secret and advanced U.S. military technology. Tesla won't let itself be a sitting duck, but after their systems were hacked by an internal amateur, I don't think they can block espionage of their tech, only try to slow the leak rate.

China has already made the centralized (everyone needs to get in line) decision to transition to EVs. I don’t think they expect to have only Chinese ownership of plants given how well their internal EV programs are going.

By encouraging BMW, VW and others to build EV plants China will probably have local ownership of most suppliers. Tesla may be a bit of an outlier due to the vertical intregation but they are the clear leader in the sector.

Not sure if I've missed any TMC discussion of what reasons the Chinese government has to want
a Tesla GF built there, since Tesla is the only serious competitor to the larger Chinese BEV and battery
makers. A few thousand jobs from an automated factory aren't going to make any difference for an economy of their size.
A GF in China seems to guarantee that Tesla will for many years dominate the top tier of EV sales in China with the highest margins.
Past 20+ years suggest the primary reason is to steal the best EV technology and distribute to the favored Chinese EV companies. Tesla will rightfully assume that local workers and engineers working in the GF are cooperating with Chinese industrial espionage services. These services shouldn't be underestimated. They've managed over the past years to steal technical details of even the most secret and advanced U.S. military technology. Tesla won't let itself be a sitting duck, but after their systems were hacked by an internal amateur, I don't think they can block espionage of their tech, only try to slow the leak rate.
China wants to transition to sustainable transportation as soon as possible, which it is doing. But just like the rest of the World should have, China noticed that there is not enough offer for the demand that exists for BEVs, so manufacturers from other countries are now welcome in order to help reach their goal to sustainable transportation. Just like Tesla knows that it cannot address all the car market alone, China knows that Tesla will not be able to produce and dominate all the China car industry alone.

After many years of carefully observing the various species of bears in their various habitats I thought I would share my field notes with the hope that others can add-to & refine

Note: please do not confuse with the upcoming catalog of trolls, which in many ways are like bears, just more hideous and not as smart.

CPA-bears (Ursuline Whocares): A sub-species of Finance Bears. Mostly ignored by bears and bulls alike. Usually only seen talking to other CPA-bears about acrane ratios that they believe show “The Truth” on how all businesses must be run. Oddly, CPA-bears are never seen running a business.

NYC-bears (Delusional Ursulines): A sub-species of Finance Bear. Strong belief that their experience with a German Car on occasional weekends and size of paycheck from Wall St. gives them flawless insights into every company. Especially ones in California.

Oil Bears (Ursuline Major Stinkus): Usually found in the Upper Midwest and Gulf Coast states. Wish to roll and swim in the glorious black treasure, to bath in it, to convert it to electricity so to power the universe. Believes all who do not bow to the miracle of oil to be incredibly naive and unable to see the way of the world.

Tech Bears (Sotiresome Ursulines): Believe that any business can only be successful if it follows their exact advice on building software companies and that any business that requires equipment is an automatic failure.

Catastrophic Bears (Ursuline Crywolf): Able to use a single tweet and a whole hour worth of work to determine that Elon is the world’s largest scammer (don’t mind the actual cars on the road) leading the world’s largest and obvious fraud since Enron. May cite their extensive experience on twitter or management of thousands of dollars in their investment fund as proof of their domain expertise.

Needless to say I have also seen various mixed offspring, many of which have even more disturbing traits, usually verbal or twitter diarrhea.
I think there is something to this cpa thing. My neighbor is a cfo and hears these stories about solar city has some weird financial issues, or same similar Tesla issue. Seems like some social thing in the industry. Maybe shorts using social networks to spread fud

Status
Not open for further replies.