Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zetsche should borrow the Model 3, S or X for a weekend and drive it with his family. That could give him a perspective of what is needed for success, technically possible and required to make a difference.

MB's engineering team is one of the best in the world. Unfortunately for them, the product management team is guiding what they do. And Zetsche is who guides product management. Time to market being a forced constraint, they are not looking at this with a truly long-term view. Just throwing $B's at it, with hope as the strategy.

Maybe they are smarter than we gave them credit for. Maybe the reason for not offering a better solution is not that they can't, but doing so will hurt some part of the organization so they don't want to.

MB's engineering team is one of the best in the world. Unfortunately for them, the product management team is guiding what they do. And Zetsche is who guides product management. Time to market being a forced constraint, they are not looking at this with a truly long-term view. Just throwing $B's at it, with hope as the strategy.

• Funny
Reactions: imherkimer
Maybe they are smarter than we gave them credit for. Maybe the reason for not offering a better solution is not that they can't, but doing so will hurt some part of the organization so they don't want to.
Smart people are held back by bureaucracies inside large and old companies. It's not like Kodak didn't have a digital camera. I'm sure lots of engineers at MB understand what's happening.

Simple as that. The SUVs are higher margin cars that were shoved into customer's throat. Even though they are much less reliable than the sedans and arguably much less secure.
People feel more secure with them because they sit higher, but when on the highway, for example, what matters is the stability. Statistics show straight correlation between rollovers and fatal casualties.

I think model Y will be much more optimized for mass production. They might prefer to wait and optimize the Model Y design as much as possible before going to mass production.
The Semi on the other hand might have less constrains from that perspective, because the volume will be lower.

I can't understand that confidence. Unless we talk about mass assembling.
Think of all the semi parts, body larts, etc. They're so much larger than what car uses which raises your material costs...plus more batteries and motors for each one...it all adds costs. Just the size of the line has to be wider/taller etc. For just starting out I think Tesla should focus on what they know...starting semi line from scratch will cost more because there is more trial and error involved in tooling it up. Or it would be cool if they could do what Elon wanted to do in that recent interview. Release 2 new vehicles at once.

Smart people are held back by bureaucracies inside large and old companies. It's not like Kodak didn't have a digital camera. I'm sure lots of engineers at MB understand what's happening.
Not only this, but Porsche for example is having trouble just finding space for the new electric lines in their factory locations. They're stuck in some town in Germany with limited land around them to use...all these logistics/infrastructure makes it tough for them. Read a German article yesterday about how they're having to revamp their factory over several months time.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It also has a page with some Model 3 reviews. It would be great if you give him some suggestions..Why Tesla

I'm a 25 year veteran in IT, including work with software interface design and user experience, with the last 10 years in the electric utility business. Kudos to your son for a very clean and fast interface!

+10 for some good default values from the get-go, as well as adding "more". Also, excellent choice of "good enough" model inputs in the "more" section. The only thing I would add is to consider a dropdown to select a model of Tesla to autopopulate the miles per kWh.

EDIT: Another fine example of a "good enough/SWAG" calculator (that allows you to get all super fancy with model inputs, should you desire): is NREL's PVWatts calculator. Quite elegant, this: PVWatts Calculator

Last edited:
MB's engineering team is one of the best in the world. Unfortunately for them, the product management team is guiding what they do.
:rolleyes:. My mate from the outback called. He wants his bullbar back.

11074D56-5A71-40EB-B28F-6B4CB989E0E1.jpeg

Yesterday was MB, today is Audi's turn

Anyone see this article audi-just-started-mass-producing-a-new-tesla-fight? in motley Fool
Audi Just Started Mass-Producing a New Tesla Fighter

Didn't see this discussed in threads ?(catching up daily mostly in evenings)
The Audi is actually being produced in volume, unlike the vaporware from Mercedes. It has slightly worse specs than a Model S or X for a similar price, though reviews haven't been possible yet, so we don't know things like "does it have a frunk". It seems that they've planned for 50,000/year, which is actually pretty good.

I don't think this is in any sense competing with Tesla, since I think S + X + Audi etron is still way less than the number of vehicles demanded in this price bracket; but perhaps it will replace a bunch of Audi/BMW/Mercedes gas car sales, which would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.