Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General investing ideas, interesting high risk stocks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Bonnie suggested a discussion thread for stocks other than TSLA, seemed like a good idea, so I figured I'd start one. I'd say the focus should be on lesser known off the beaten path but possibly cool stocks that have a high probability of failure :biggrin:
I'll start with ECOS EcoloCap- Tuning the future green Initially I was interested in their battery tech, which ended up going nowhere, at least so far. But they also used their nano tech savvy to create "M-Fuel", which is a nano emulsified diesel fuel that allows diesel to be diluted with about 30% water and still work as diesel fuel. This is of course a penny stock that will probably go down the toilet, so I recommend reading up on the technology but not investing a penny :biggrin:

As noted on another thread, my riskiest stock holding is a pink stock, Organovo (ONVO). www.organovo.com It's a 3D bio-tissue printer, and should eventually be able to print new organs from a patient's own cells. Something like this could be useful in proving efficacy for new drugs, prior to human trials. No real volume or movement. And this is a tough, very regulated market.

But I just like it. That's how I bought my Roadster and I've never regretted it :).

Orbite Aluminae Inc : Clean Alumina/Aluminium production. Would mesh well with your Tesla investment...

I already mentioned it in another post : Sourcing materials and sustainability of the Model S

Some highlights from a recent report :

Full Jacobs Report:

Luisa Moreno, Ph.D, Analyst [email protected] +1 (416)866-8380

Bear-s no Weight!

We were recently asked to participate in BNN’s Bear/Bull debate show to offer our Bull view on Orbite Aluminae. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties with the audio and resulting delays, several of our key positions could not be properly conveyed during the telecast. Therefore, we take this opportunity to clearly and more thoroughly present our bull arguments in the contexts of the topics raised during the show and to demonstrate why we believe the opposing Bear view is not backed by sound due diligence.

Key Bull Points

? Near Term Revenue – Orbite is set to become the world’s lowest cost producer of high purity alumina (HPA). Production is expected to start by 4Q12/1Q13 and cash from the HPA sales could partially fund the smelter alumina grade plant (SGA).

? Low Cost Producer of Alumina – The SGA plant is also expected to become one of the lowest-cost alumina refineries in the world. The by-products will certainly make the refinery even more competitive.

? Rusal UC Partnership – Rusal - the world’s largest producer of aluminum and a major alumina producer - spent several months performing due diligence and decided to enter in an agreement with Orbite. That is a strong validation of the Orbite technology and business model. We anticipate that once other industry partners are identified, Orbite will sign the definitive agreement with Rusal.

? Renowned Technical Team – Orbite has built an international team of renowned chemical process engineers that are confident that they will be able to build the most economic red-mud-free alumina refinery in the world. Metallurgical Annouce

As part of our due diligence, we visited Orbite facilities multiple times and we have spent countless hours talking to Orbite’s technical team, independent engineering contractors, chemical processing engineers and alumina refinery experts in various countries (e.g. Jamaica and Australia). Additional comments in the next page.

Recommendation

We maintain our Speculative Buy recommendation and target price of $11.20

Here's hoping that it pays for my Tesla in the next year ...

MXWL‎ - Maxwell Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ)‎

Just had one of those bad days (40% drop in a day), apparently due to low guidance. If you feel like I do that super caps have a place in EVs , Maxwell seems to be well positioned.

As noted on another thread, my riskiest stock holding is a pink stock, Organovo (ONVO). www.organovo.com It's a 3D bio-tissue printer, and should eventually be able to print new organs from a patient's own cells. Something like this could be useful in proving efficacy for new drugs, prior to human trials. No real volume or movement. And this is a tough, very regulated market.

But I just like it. That's how I bought my Roadster and I've never regretted it :).

Looks like they IPO'd recently. Februaryish? I'll keep an eye on it

Looks like they IPO'd recently. Februaryish? I'll keep an eye on it

Yes, mid-February. I got in early, about a week after the IPO. I think things will be quiet for awhile, but if I actually knew, then I couldn't be talking here. :) I personally believe this could be a game-changer for certain types of drug trials - and the ability to just make a new bio-compatible limb is a bonus. But it will be awhile.

I won't say it's impossible, but the project sounds like a scam to me. Just like EEStor: The concept may well be viable, but the company always looked like a scam.

You could be right, but what would the goal be? As far as I see it, it's one guy funding projects with his own cash and pooling resources from other researchers, scientists and developers. I suppose they could start asking for funding and run with it all.

Investing. I wouldn't say I invest in high-risk stocks (I don't consider Tesla high-risk at this point). Like bonnie, I follow the rule of investing in companies in sectors I understand; for me that doesn't include medical, but it does include anything computer-related. I don't see a business model with more than minimal profits for most in the computer industry, however; I think service contracts, IBM-style, are the cash cow.

At the moment, I'm heavily invested in railways and railway-related manufacturing (another field I've studied exhaustively enough to understand, just 'cause I like trains). I think the secular trends related to energy, the environment, urbanization, and even wealth inequality will continue to drive traffic to the rails even when the economy is generally down, and so I feel I've got something fairly reliable and counter-cyclical in railways. I won't say how I pick which railway-related companies to invest in (you have to make your own analysis of management competence and sub-sectoral trends) -- but I don't think the information about the overall trends favoring the sector is exactly new to anyone here, so I don't feel like I'm revealing anything proprietary.

"This is Not Investment Advice. I am not your investment advisor. You get what you pay for."

You could be right, but what would the goal be? As far as I see it, it's one guy funding projects with his own cash and pooling resources from other researchers, scientists and developers. I suppose they could start asking for funding and run with it all.
It could be an honest crackpot. But there are ways to scam without grabbing the cash box and hopping a plane to Argentina. Convince investors to invest in your company. Pay yourself a generous salary. When the money runs out, say "I tried, but it just didn't work."

Or maybe I'm wrong and the guy is onto something. It just sounds awfully far-fetched to me.