Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYP is the first EV I've got so I'm trying to figure out what additional maintenance I need to perform besides the usual. This is taken from the Tesla Model Y manual:
  • Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary)
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4 years.
  • Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years (or 3 years for HEPA filter, if equipped).
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles if in an area where roads are salted during winter --> doesn't apply to my area
  • Rotate tires every 6k miles

Any extra maintenance that isn't mentioned in the manual that I should consider, like greasing the door rubber seals etc?

In cold weather we lubricate door/window seals with silicone lube but you don't live in a freezing area so it's less important. Eventually the hinges of doors and trunk/frunk need lubrication like any other car.
A good car wash and wax wouldn't hurt from time to time too :D

In cold weather we lubricate door/window seals with silicone lube but you don't live in a freezing area so it's less important. Eventually the hinges of doors and trunk/frunk need lubrication like any other car.
A good car wash and wax wouldn't hurt from time to time too :D

What's this do for the car? I'm in the north east and currently have this missing from my maintenance routine.

My MYP is the first EV I've got so I'm trying to figure out what additional maintenance I need to perform besides the usual. This is taken from the Tesla Model Y manual:
  • Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary)
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4 years.
  • Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years (or 3 years for HEPA filter, if equipped).
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles if in an area where roads are salted during winter --> doesn't apply to my area
  • Rotate tires every 6k miles

Any extra maintenance that isn't mentioned in the manual that I should consider, like greasing the door rubber seals etc?

Attached my full maintaince list (which may be overkill, this is my first car) as an image, looks like you're only missing the below:

- Replace wiper blades yearly or as needed

-Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment Tesla recommends rotating your tires every 6,250 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater, whichever comes first. Aggressive driving can lead to premature tire wear and may require more freq

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-213102.png
    Screenshot_20220608-213102.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 248
cabin air filters and cleaning 2x a year probably, when the stink comes back
The stink comes from the condensor unit being located too close to the cabin filters. It is that which needs a full cleaning, as well as changing out the air filters. The X and S located it farther away from the filters, so those cars don't exhibit the stink problem like the Y's or the 3's.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Yes, silicone lubricant for the door/window rubbers. It's good for any car but especially good for frameless windows like on our Teslas. Keeps the rubbers nice and flexible. In areas with freezing climates, helps prevent the window from sticking to the rubbers. When we open our doors the windows must go down a bit first so they clear the top trim. If windows stick to the rubber they might not go down and might scratch the trim. The car should keep the windows a bit lower when it's cold but still, a good preventative maintenance item.

Reactions: Pianewman
nate704: Not true. Unless you know that Tesla rubber/seals are different than any other vehicle. ;)

Yearly application might be excessive, but the rubber/seals need to be cleaned/treated or they will age prematurely.

Reactions: JonB65
You don't really need the silicone lube for the rubber seals unless your Tesla is 10+ years old. wipe with water or quick detailer once everyweek will do just fine and you will have no issue with sticking since the rubber on the Tesla cars are harder than other auto makers rubber seals.
I’ve been using the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” maintenance program. For decades.

On ICE cars I always changed my oil and rotated tires (when swapping snow tires on).

For Tesla my longest run was my X 26k miles and all I did was rotate tires. And I did lube the FWD exterior gaskets because those are known to break down prematurely. But since it’s garaged and work from home that was probably overkill.

I do keep an eye on things. If wipers are not wiping good then I replace. If filter looks bad I replace. I never use a Calandar or odometer to tell me I need anything. Except oil on ICE cars. I used to use Calandar and odometer and found it extremely wasteful and costly. My cars are always in tip top shape. I just don’t apply excess.

nate704: Not true. Unless you know that Tesla rubber/seals are different than any other vehicle. ;)

Yearly application might be excessive, but the rubber/seals need to be cleaned/treated or they will age prematurely.
Agreed on the seals being hard doesn't mean it will last longer.
That's why I said you need to wipe down with water or quick detailer once a week. However, my 16 year old Accord had no treatment for 16 years, but I have no sticking or breaking down issue as well as my previous 6 year old SUV that I replaced with Tesla.