Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General question on charging without a garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won't have a garage for at least a year (I am currently renting an apartment and there is no charger) and I will either be supercharging and/or using some public charging stations nearby.

My question is: will my Model Y come with all my charging needs in terms of cables/adapters/plugs? Or will I need to buy extra things to charge?

It will have the J1772 adapter for more non-Tesla charger options, and a mobile charger with a 15a 110v cable. You can buy additional "pigtails" and use the included mobile charger for higher amperage and voltage charging. For example, if you've got access to an RV outlet (NEMA 14-50) , for $50 direct from Tesla, you could use that with the included mobile charger, and enjoy a far faster charging rate.

The vehicle comes with the mobile connecter package but with the regular NEMA 5-15 Adapter and J1772. If you want decent charging rates at home/office you will want to buy the NEMA 14-50 adapter from the Tesla shop. You will need to have a 14-50 outlet available to use that though

Reactions: simdank
Download the Plugshare app to your phone, for locating nearby public charging stations. Google Maps can display Tesla Supercharger locations and also EV charging locations.

For peace of mind you may want to purchase a lock ring accessory for the J1772 adapter (see eBay or Etsy.) When the Tesla vehicle is locked, charging the SAE J1772 adapter is locked in the Tesla's charging port but someone can still unplug the J1772 charging cable connector from the adapter. The lock ring ensures that no one can unplug your Tesla while charging.

There are two different styles of J1772 adapter, the lock ring needs to be correct for the adapter. Better to wait until you have the Tesla Model Y with the SAE J1772 adapter in hand and be sure you purchase the correct lock ring.
I have never had any trouble at public chargers using the adaptor that comes with the Model Y.

I have never had any trouble at public chargers using the adaptor that comes with the Model Y.
The style of J1772 adapter determines which lock ring design can optionally be used while charging. The lock ring is not required, only prevents someone from unplugging the charging cable from the J1772 adapter. Honestly, this is rarely an issue but these lock rings can bring some peace of mind while charging.

It's not so much a problem with the adapter, as it is getting the correct aftermarket plastic (3d printed usually?) "lock ring" to prevent someone from unplugging your unattended Tesla and either using your account to charge their car, or just be jerks so you don't charge.

Reactions: AprilMay and Ogre
Since you appear to be in GA I wouldn’t be too worried about the weather. No home charging and freezing temperatures would be a bad combo, because the warming of the battery and heat take a lot or energy. As others have mentioned, just get the 14-50 adapter from Tesla, it’s the most commonly used. If you have some friends/family that are near by and they can give you access to a dryer outlet or something you may want to consider the appropriate hookup (14-30,10-30) and maybe a beefy extension cord. Hopefully you have some free stations near you at a local business you can use at night. PlugShare and chargepoint apps are super useful to have.

It's not so much a problem with the adapter, as it is getting the correct aftermarket plastic (3d printed usually?) "lock ring" to prevent someone from unplugging your unattended Tesla and either using your account to charge their car, or just be jerks so you don't charge.
Ah, I hadn’t realized there was a piece that could lock the J1772 connector on the way the Supercharger does. I don’t J1772 too much and people fiddling with it has never been a concern. (And for me likely won’t ever be).

Definitely good to know though, thanks.

I thought the cable was always locked to the car when the car itself is locked. Is this only true when using a Supercharger? I've only used a J1772 a couple of times and never checked.
SuperCharger, yes. With J1772, only the adapter is locked to the car. The cable can still be disconnected. For that reason I use a 3D printed ring to stop the connector from being disconnected.