Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General questions/Power increase/Acceleration boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! I'm new here to these forums and just picked up my MY long range. I had some general questions i was hoping that could be answered.

1. I've seen online and through Tesla that they have released 2 power increases in the form of 5% each to their line of cars... should we expect in the future say a year or so from now to receive more power increases ?

2. The acceleration boost went from 4.3 down to 4.2, should we expect to see a decrease in time over the next year? say 4 flat? or maybe a change in price? say $1k?

3. After quite a bit of research I've found that people compare the MY long range with AB to the MYP after about 30 MPH has anyone ridden in both and can confirm that feel is about the same past 30 MPH? Or even roll raced these two together? Every video ive seen is from a stand still and not roll racing.

4. Has anyone been able to find DYNO results from a MY long range with AB? i would be interested to see the results.

5. I know tesla releases updates quite frequently but out of all of those updates how often is useful updates come along instead of just "bug fixes"

1. Nobody really knows, but in this case I would predict probably not.
2. Probably not.
3. I have not, but judging on my previous Model S I would believe that description. The P models need an extra surge of power and sportier wheels to move that heavy mass of a car from 0 to motion. That's why you'll feel that surge of g forces in your belly at take-off, that you don't feel as much in the non-P models.

5. In the early days, it was often. In the last few years though, I would estimate once or twice per year if that? Most software updates affecting performance occur during the launch of a new model. Once the model has been out for a year or so, those type of updates cease as the model become more finalized (speaking to era after ~ 2019).

Reactions: SQLDevDBA
1. Nobody really knows, but in this case I would predict probably not.
2. Probably not.
3. I have not, but judging on my previous Model S I would believe that description. The P models need an extra surge of power and sportier wheels to move that heavy mass of a car from 0 to motion. That's why you'll feel that surge of g forces in your belly at take-off, that you don't feel as much in the non-P models.

5. In the early days, it was often. In the last few years though, I would estimate once or twice per year if that? Most software updates affecting performance occur during the launch of a new model. Once the model has been out for a year or so, those type of updates cease as the model become more finalized (speaking to era after ~ 2019).
Thank you! Being new to the EV world and Tesla is quite the experience.

Thank you! Being new to the EV world and Tesla is quite the experience.
@Kaz93, I was like you, standing on the other side of the fence and thinking the same thing that Tesla was expensive and NO TAX CREDIT. But in the end, I bought a Tesla. If I have to do it again, still buy a Tesla. I am not Tesla crazy fanboy, really I am not. But the value you get out of Tesla is second to none. Yes, I drove the Leaf for a few years, so I had experience with EV, it's day and night if you compare Tesla vs Leaf. To me, you can get non-Tesla as the second EV, but if you have only 1 EV, Tesla is the one to choose. Simply because of its supercharge network and the raw power you can experience like no other cars.

It's only 0.5 seconds slower - that's getting fairly close.
Not fairly close, 0.5 seconds is a lot :)
If your car 0 to 60 takes over 10 secs, then 0.5 secs improvement is not a lot. But if your car 0 to 60 in 4 secs, 0.5 is a lot
Think about people who guys Model S Long Range vs Plaid, you pay $40,000 more to gain just 1 sec, again $40K for 1 sec.
In this case, 0.5 secs costs 2k, it's a good deal to me.

It's only 0.5 seconds slower - that's getting fairly close.
~12% reduction in 0-60 is considered fairly significant in the car world. ICE owners spend a LOT more money (and often labor) to get that. AND when they do so? It’s also often can be at the sacrifice of MPG, noise/vibration/harshness, longevity.
With Tesla? It’s a ...download.