Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General (recent) connectivity issues to home LAN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone else has seen connection issues between their Tesla and their home router recently. I set mine up, and got it working, shortly after I got my car last August and thought everything was working fine until I discovered yesterday that it was not. Since there seems to be no notification that the WiFi is no longer working, this was discovered somewhat by accident.

Saturday night I tried to link my Model 3 to a Raspberry Pi (Model 3B), something I've done with no problems in the past. It failed to connect and popped up a screen that said "Could Not Connect to Network. Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings." I did the obvious things such as rebooting the car, forgetting and reinstalling the RPi hot spot, etc. Nothing worked. It was late in the day so I figured I'd misconfigured something in the Pi and would straighten it out the next morning. The next day I couldn't find anything wrong with the configuration and, in fact, was able to connect to the Pi with no problems from my wireless laptop. Then I decided to make sure the Tesla was still talking to my home network and this is when I found that it wasn't. Same "Could Not Connect ..." popup message. Taking an unused spare Raspberry Pi, I built it up as a Wireless Access Point / Router and installed the Wireshark packet capturing software. I then connected to it with the laptop and captured the sequence for a successful WiFi connection, which was my baseline. I then shutdown the laptop and tried the same thing with the Tesla. I expected that nothing would be transferred back and fourth between the Tesla and hot spot, but this was not the case. It very closely matched the sequence for the laptop in all the important protocol exchanges. Not only did the Tesla recognize the hot spot when scanning for local networks, it made it most of the way through the connection sequence. I was able to see the DHCP request from the Tesla and the Raspberry Pi responded with an IP address assignment during the DHCP ACK sequence. Further, in the next step, the Tesla used that very same address to request the MAC address of the RPi (which was sent). At that point, the Tesla restarted the DHCP sequence from the beginning and did the entire sequence over again at which point it terminated the DHCP session and popped up the error message. With the laptop, once the MAC address had been requested and received, there were a series of housekeeping messages exchanged back and forth and the link was "up". This never happened with the Tesla. I'm trying my hardest to see how this could somehow be a hardware problem but that seems to be a stretch. On the other hand, if it is a software problem (due to an update since I last connected), other people should be seeing it too.

So is anyone else having problems like this?

Dave

P.S. I should also mention that today I drove to the local service center where they have an "open" hot spot. The Tesla could not connect to it either.

Yes! I am having the exact same problem. My iphone, Mac & my husbands non-apple products all work on our home network just fine.

I’ve been trying to download software update 2019.40.50.7 for two days now... still can’t obtain an IP address.

My Tesla is parked at the outer limits of my existing Wifi network (powered by an Apple AirPort Extreme). Sometimes it can connect, and sometimes it can't. (It helps if I reverse direction.)

Recently I decided to add a repeater to my wi-fi network. The repeater exposes new SSIDs for connecting to my existing network. My Apple devices (iPhone, laptop) can connect to the new (repeater) SSIDs and get online successfully, but when I try to connect my Model 3 to these SSIDs, I get the error, “Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings”