Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the event Tesla raises its prices after the EV tax credit passes, are those who ordered but haven't taken delivery yet locked into the lower price? I'm curious about those who had orders for the MYP who had the price increase by $1,000. We're they fine because the order occurred before the price increase?
I'm assuming yes, as generally an order means you're locked into that price - unless it's a price decrease and you may have the option to take the newer price. There are many comments here about people that ordered the MY when orders opened and got FSD for $5k, then when the MY price dropped $3k last summer, wanted to get that price PLUS only pay $5k for FSD. Basically, I think most of them were told you have to either take the old price or the new price for car and options. Can't mix and match.

The commenter's comment says "...this April..."

Its still February.

hope springs eternal eh?

It could come back tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or next year.

But it's not there right now and we have no guarantee it will be in April.

And I thought it was worth mentioning that it did indeed drop to his predicted price this week, just before it disappeared. It would almost guarantee that someone else would reply and say it's gone if I didn't bother to mention it.

I know others have mentioned this but I would be really surprised if any change in incentives happened that weren't retroactive. I'm fairly familiar with IRS Codes and I haven't yet seen anything that starts mid-way or partially through a tax year. (By no means does that rule out the possibility.)

Seems like it would be easier to just back date it or have it come into effect at the start of the next year, etc.

Reactions: enzo
Yep, it's the same with all technology: cell phones, computers, now cars. Waiting will always yield something better. If you need a car, you can't wait. I suggest that once you buy something, you stop wondering if it was a good decision or not. Do your homework, choose what's best for your needs at the moment. If what you need is literally right around the corner, guaranteed, maybe you wait a few weeks. Otherwise, go for it but don't look back too much. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. If you torture yourself with that, you'll never be happy.

This is not to say you should buy without doing your homework though :D
Totally agree. If we had reasonable assurances that waiting an extra week would produce a wanted upgrade, awesome!! Then wait.

Reality, unless you have legitimate inside information , is rarely are there absolutes.

If we had reasonable assurances that waiting an extra week would produce a wanted upgrade, awesome!! Then wait.
We waited an extra 5 weeks to order our M Y because we wanted the new design center console. When I was ready, Tesla was in the transition and we watched cars arrive here at the staging lot and some came in with the new console and some with the old. When we saw all the ones coming in had the new console, we pulled the trigger figuring the 5 week wait would guarantee all M Y's were being built with what we wanted.

I certainly wouldn't wait for tax rebates. Waiting for the new structural frame design + 4680 may be a mixed bag as the new Austin M Y's will likely have startup defects you will be waiting for as well as higher price. Is the structural frame really that much better from a driver's perspective? Do you really need added range if the Austin build will even give you added range? Lot's of unknowns. These aren't "reasonable assurances."