Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was the opposite for me and I couldn’t wait for the 2017 Model X lease to end. The power doors were a disaster. Multiple instances of the falcon wing doors colliding with objects, and front door failures that dangerously prevented egress from the vehicle. The MX shows it’s size on the road, where the MY drives like a sports sedan. I’d like to see the MX redesigned with regular doors (weight saving and simplicity) and an ultra wide screen that combines the drivers display cluster and 3/Y horizontal screen.

Meh, you had a lemon. I had at least 5 in 3 years and only real issue with several of them was the ghosting windshields and the autopilot trying to drive off the highway several times, that's pretty much it.

I just placed the order last week, VIN was assigned right away with a delivery window in this week, but I told sales to delay the delivery. He told me the next available delivery window will be in March and I agreed and then the VIN just disappeared. He also suggested me to fill in all the information regarding delivery location, registration and trade in but leave the payment option as cash so that Tesla will not pull your credit report now because apparently the financial rate quote will expire soon. And without VIN I don't think you can set up the insurance now, Hope it helps.

This is great feedback, thank you! I hadn't thought about the rate expiring...makes me think its better to wait until closer to when I want to take delivery. Thanks again.

Reactions: Fuddinator
Meh, you had a lemon. I had at least 5 in 3 years and only real issue with several of them was the ghosting windshields and the autopilot trying to drive off the highway several times, that's pretty much it.

@Plan B from your previous message, it sounds like you averaged around 6 months per Tesla vehicle since 2012, so I'm going to guess maybe you didn't keep your Xs long enough to see issues develop?

Should I wait for HW4, MCU3, and 4680? I think they are all coming out Q4 2021 according to Eletrek. HW4 should be out when the cybertruck is out. HW4 was announced 2 years ago. MCU3 might be needed for the bigger screen on Cybertruck.
Hard to say without know more about your situation (finances, alternatives, opportunity costs). Most people I know who go electric from an ICE (hybrid even) love it and have no regrets, even when there’s new stuff down the road as there always is. Going from electric to electric can be variable. If have the finances/expertise/time to flip cars, I don’t see any issues with buying now. If you’re someone who has severe FOMO and can wait, could consider waiting but none of these timelines are written in stone and can slip (see basically all Tesla models, most recently the “2020” Roadster).

Should I wait for HW4, MCU3, and 4680? I think they are all coming out Q4 2021 according to Eletrek. HW4 should be out when the cybertruck is out. HW4 was announced 2 years ago. MCU3 might be needed for the bigger screen on Cybertruck.

I really don't see Y production in Texas as soon as it opens. At that point Y demand will likely have cooled off and Freemont will likely be able to handle demand. I think Texas will pump out CT's and Semi's for at least a year before Y starts being built there.

So... long story (post) short I don't think we'll see 4680 Y's (in the US) for another 2 years if not longer. I'm happy to be wrong though.

Ok so here is the latest thing to wait for - steering yoke on new Model S!
50265FED-6C1A-44DD-B1F0-C8D6C2F470F7.jpeg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Ok so here is the latest thing to wait for - steering yoke on new Model S!View attachment 631335
That was one of the features I like the least, also not sure how it is legal. If they end up bringing some of S refresh features over to 3/Y, it would be awesome:
  • Active noise cancellation
  • Second Row display
  • Wireless controllers
  • Ventilated seating

Nice, they finally updated the configurator for the Model Y but NO new center console yet! Waiting on new headlights, center console and HEPA filter until I convert my LR RWD to AWD..

Still shows old console though, guess they took this picture for the page..

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianD and kaess
That was one of the features I like the least, also not sure how it is legal. If they end up bringing some of S refresh features over to 3/Y, it would be awesome:
  • Active noise cancellation
  • Second Row display
  • Wireless controllers
  • Ventilated seating
I think it’s legal because it’s closed at the top, unlike what the Cybertruck has. I think the entire refresh is very cool. And the performance!!