Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was assigned 997xxx vin yesterday. My advisor said it was made on Jan 13, and still on the way to MA. It has heated steering wheel and the latest update.. I refused the VIN as it seems to be old...

Right now, you are holding out for a larger VIN number....

if it has all the latest features, why not check it out first??
If all the panel gap and paint job is prefect, take it!
You can still reject it if the car is has issue.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
What update are you holding out for?

I’m not really holding out for anything specific. All the talk of new features coming in the future is interesting but to me upgrades are inevitable and the longer I wait the less my trade in will be worth so they will also cost me more if I wait.

I was assigned 997xxx vin yesterday. My advisor said it was made on Jan 13, and still on the way to MA. It has heated steering wheel and the latest update.. I refused the VIN as it seems to be old...

Not sure I understand the logic here—as you have described it.

@f2000sa Tesla VIN numbers are not sequential. What actually matters is the build date, and Jan 13 is like 2 weeks ago. If you can still get a match on it, I'd say @laughMan has good advice to check it out in person.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
What update are you holding out for?
Less of holding out for anything specific I just don't want to carry 2 cars at the same time till April. They had originally said around 5-8 weeks when I ordered which would have been fine i don't mind a short overlap, but when they changed it to less than 2 weeks that wouldn't work for me.

But with Tesla making changes at the speed of thought it probably doesn't hurt to wait a little longer, I wouldn't mind the new headlights bioweapon defense or anything else they might add.

I’m not really holding out for anything specific. All the talk of new features coming in the future is interesting but to me upgrades are inevitable and the longer I wait the less my trade in will be worth so they will also cost me more if I wait.

Interestingly my sales advisor contacted me today and provided me an unsolicited update that my reservation vehicle is equipped with a heated steering wheel (VIN 100XXX). I had assumed it was possible, but wasn't willing to cancel based on it, so wasn't even going to ask.

Someone on Reddit reported the new headlight in MYP.. Hope more will follow...

One intriguing thing is that Tesla keeps on improving and adding new stuff without raising the price, which makes postpoing delievery very attractive..

The next big thing per rumor is the air suspension..

Reactions: imola.zhp
I plan on waiting for buyers to begin receiving consistently MY AWD with:
The new center console
7500 Tax credit reinstatement would be nice.

Originally wanted a new interior color other than Black and white but it looks like that isn't gonna happen.
Originally wanted a driver's instrument display but we now have a 3rd party accessory that will satisfy.
Wish list is air suspension but not a deal breaker.

We're debating on VW ID4 vs Tesla MY for my wife and she is not crazy for the all Black or the Black with Chalk White seats. We also like the added features in their Pro S version. BUT, the VW lacks range and future FSD capability and poor performance in LKAS. It does have free EA fast charging for 3 years which is nice.

The new center console

Originally wanted a new interior color other than Black and white but it looks like that isn't gonna happen.
Originally wanted a driver's instrument display but we now have a 3rd party accessory that will satisfy.

We're debating on VW ID4 vs Tesla MY for my wife and she is not crazy for the all Black or the Black with Chalk White seats. We also like the added features in their Pro S version. BUT, the VW lacks range and future FSD capability and poor performance in LKAS. It does have free EA fast charging for 3 years which is nice.

I considered the ID4 too. In the end, I didn’t want the first rendition of a new EV. At least the Y is basically the 3 that has been around for a few years. The return of the tax credit in some form would be great.

Is that possible? Watch as a key.

It will never be possible if the Tesla you buy doesn't have UWB bluetooth sensors.

Future Tesla models could integrate Apple CarKey with UWB tech | AppleInsider

I guess there might be a retrofit but depending on the location of the sensors it could be quite invasive to retrofit.

Technically Possible now, though not as securely and therefore not available.

uwb gives number of benefits. Some explicit such as positional information down to 30cm accuracy (think who’s driving when both have Tesla app on phone) and some implicit, such as reducing feasibility of spoof recording/playback.

Background/context: https://www.eetimes.com/volkswagen-and-nxp-show-first-car-using-uwb-to-combat-relay-theft/

Yes, another benefit. Someone near us believes his chargeport door was locked yet somehow a thief stole his charger. The easy answer is the chargeport door was not locked, the long shot is a relay theft leveraged the car to unlock (and charge port).

The new center console

Expect a price increase for all Tesla models if the $7500 credit is reinstated. Just look at how prices decreased as the credit was phased out.

Last edited:
It will never be possible if the Tesla you buy doesn't have UWB bluetooth sensors.
Expect a price increase for all Tesla models if the $7500 credit is reinstated. Just look at how prices decreased as the credit was phased out.

Then Tesla will sell zero cars if that happen.

VW,Ford, Mercedes already have competitive pricing AND tax credit.

Cant imagine Tesla rising their prices of MY and M3 ever.

Actually, and mark my words , this April SR MY will go down to $39.999

But as Elon said, they cut the price as the tax credit was phased out because:
1. They had to in order to continue selling cars
2. The manufacturing costs went down due to scale and efficiencies

That being said, prices could go up but I don't think they will
but demand will go way up.

Reactions: JBT66