Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect IF the center console, USB in glove box and Auto Dimming mirrors are coming those changes won't happen for another 2-3 months. The battery change even longer. Laminated front glass is already here on the Model Y. For me I will be taking delivery this week and would have liked the console changes, but will just settle for wrapping my own console myself.

Autodim mirrors are already showing up, and somebody recently linked a NGF employee saying the new batteries are being pushed to MYPs and M3Ps.

For the most part, I agree with those who say to buy the car when you want/need it and enjoy the thrill of ownership as soon as possible. Having said that, you have to determine how badly you want it.

We want to upgrade our first LR RWD Model 3 to a Model Y. But since we are already enjoying a Tesla, the need isn't urgent. And while I don't care about heated steering wheel or new center console, the bump up to the new 82kW battery is a pretty significant upgrade that we want to wait for. A few months while they work through their supply of old batteries before transitioning to the new ones? Ya, we can wait.

If we were not upgrading from another Tesla, I don't think we could wait.

I really think the metal thumb wheels are equipped with heated steering wheels. Why go about just changing the material of a thumb wheel?

Tesla is known for showing off their upgrades via “software” I wouldn’t pass them for pulling a stunt like that

Luckily living in SoCal, I dont mind missing out on the heated steering wheel. The auto dimming mirrors and laminated window would be nice but I needed my car at the end of Q3 so Im happy I ended up with a Tesla than another ICE. Plus driving the MY around, got me into investing into $TSLA and made out like a bandit there.

Everyone here could keep waiting indefinitely for additonal minor features to rollout but here's my take.

I just received my model Y this past weekend, includes all the recent updates including windows, auto dim mirrors, thumb drive etc. That's a whole bunch of upgrades in a short time, I wouldn't be surprised if future rumored updates do not roll out for quite a long time. cheers!

With EM talking about a 430 mile battery pack, he must be talking about the 4260 structural battery. German versions are going to start out that way and I bet Texas will soon follow for the US.

The osborne effect has me wanting to wait for what I am guessing will be a 100KW battery pack in the Model Y. My wife wants more battery for her range anxiety. The 82KW battery will be the new mid range model I am guessing by summer.

Honestly tho, Americans drive further and longer than our EU counterparts. We love our SUVs so why not stick the 4680 in US made MY first? I suspect this is the reason why Cybertruck is delayed.... Cybertruck will be built in Texas and I don't think the factory will be in full blown production mode until 2022. One year is a lot of time to mass produce 4680......

Reactions: Reeler
I'm waiting to take delivery in 2021 in case Biden brings back the tax credit... 7k is no joke!

I imagine what will happen is no matter when in 2021 the legislation is passed, the tax credit will be for the 2021 year's taxes.
Done hope for much, much of the EV tax credits are favoring low income. They are trying to move on the EV is for any person movement, not just the rich.