Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy, Don't buy.
Cash. Not cash.
Do what feels right.
Buy this CPU or wait 3 months for the next greatest CPU. or APU or GPU or smartphone.

Just because you can "afford it", doesn't mean you should.
As for me, I saved up for several years for the S. Then came the model 3. Now the model Y.
When it was time, I made the choice that was right for me.
Now it's your turn. What will be your choice?

interest rates are such a joke paying cash is the financial mistake.
Totally agree with this. It’s essentially OPM, as long as you’re not over-leveraged which. A lot of people are and finances were exposed over the last 9 months.

anyways. I agree most with the post above, seems like these cars change so fast. Just find the right car and time for you and jump in without looking back.

interest rates are such a joke paying cash is the financial mistake.

Exactly, so spending such a low % of one years salary seems very odd if you are financing.

Totally agree with this. It’s essentially OPM, as long as you’re not over-leveraged which. A lot of people are and finances were exposed over the last 9 months.

anyways. I agree most with the post above, seems like these cars change so fast. Just find the right car and time for you and jump in without looking back.

I don’t think most people buying Tesla’s are over-leveraged. My household hasn’t missed any work in 2020.

I make that money and would not buy a Taycan. Poor charging options, higher insurance and I suspect not as much regular update as Tesla. I don't care for the falcon wings X or the long in the tooth Model S. The Y hits the sweet spot.

Thats because you are prioritizing utility over anything and likely hold TSLA stock. Weird flex, but ok, the Taycan can exist and be successful simultaneously as Tesla.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thats because you are prioritizing utility over anything and likely hold TSLA stock. Weird flex, but ok, the Taycan can exist and be successful simultaneously as Tesla.

Other than Tesla held by my Vanguard Index funds, I do not hold individual Tesla stock.

Taycan can certainly coexist and can be a Bill Gates 15th car but as a primary car that I would like to take >200 miles it is not practical. EA charging is a joke.

I know this is a car enthusiast forum but the principal thing I learned in finance early on is not how much you make but how much you spend and how much you save. Wealth over income. Earning 250K but spending $150K on a car is never a wise decision. Better to buy that Y, save and invest the rest and don't have to worry about if you can afford to retire at age 70, having no savings. I know quite a few high earning professionals who earn paycheck to paycheck.

Interest rates are low and no reason for huge money down. Can invest pretty safety instead.

Unfortunately the majority of the people who put the minimal money down are not very financially savvy and will not think about investing the rest of the money. They will not comprehend that it car interest rate of 2% and market investments gaining 6% average if held over 10 years, investing in market long term is the better option. They will pay the minimal amount for the par and spend the rest of the money on toys. For the majority of Americans the safer and wiser thing would be to put as much of their money down for the car and only finance the minimal amount.

Multi-million dollar lottery winners going broke within a few years tells you something about poor financial knowledge held by the majority of the Americans

I know this is a car enthusiast forum but the principal thing I learned in finance early on is not how much you make but how much you spend and how much you save. Wealth over income. Earning 250K but spending $150K on a car is never a wise decision. Better to buy that Y, save and invest the rest and don't have to worry about if you can afford to retire at age 70, having no savings. I know quite a few high earning professionals who earn paycheck to paycheck.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. I know/have known too many people who spend every cent they make, never thinking about saving for when times are rough (like now). They rationalize everything by "can I afford this monthly payment?" and then when a crisis hits, they don't know what to do. Can anyone relate to 2008 or what's happening now?

Reactions: AprilMay and Kamban
I will be taking delivery sometime between now and February. Decision is do I get it in the next week to get in on the year of free supercharging or take a chance that any of these rumored upgrades would come in January? Now, even if we hear that a new feature has been rolled off the line, do I even have a chance in the running if I live in California? I've heard that first portion of the quarter, all new cars go overseas. Is there an exception if I've been waiting in line since October? It's possible that I'd just get an inventory car that may have been produced in December. Wondering if it's worth even thinking about this minutia.

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay
I will be taking delivery sometime between now and February. Decision is do I get it in the next week to get in on the year of free supercharging or take a chance that any of these rumored upgrades would come in January? Now, even if we hear that a new feature has been rolled off the line, do I even have a chance in the running if I live in California? I've heard that first portion of the quarter, all new cars go overseas. Is there an exception if I've been waiting in line since October? It's possible that I'd just get an inventory car that may have been produced in December. Wondering if it's worth even thinking about this minutia.

I believe the new headlights are all but confirmed for a Q1 Model Y. Now, everything else (82kw battery, new center console) are what haven't been confirmed but my assumption is that we'll see them release everything together. Headlights, Console, Battery in Q1 2020 for the Model Y. My scheduled delivery is the this Saturday the 26th and am leaning towards just taking delivery and enjoying the car.

I too have heard that cars will be shipped overseas but I can't confirm if that's true. I was told I would have to wait until Feb/March if I didn't take delivery in December because cars would be shipped overseas. I don't know if at this point you'd be able to get an ordered car in time for the free Supercharging but the lot cars might be available in your configuration. :)

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay and kval35

The problem with the JAN and FEB deliveries is that it's outside their window so they will not be producing more cars for CA. This is all based on previous topics as well as sales advisor. If there are any left over then you can get one. If not, you have to wait till March when they start production back up again.

I'm pretty positive if we wait till March we will get all the new features

• Informative
This was posted on Nov. 20th by GreentheOnly, a hacker that likes do dig through Tesla's code.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1329608540739264512?s=20

"2020.44.15 firmware reveals that Model Y is also getting a new efficiency package MY_2021, higher range incoming?"

Is this the same person that has said air suspension is coming to the Model 3?

I'm sure he or she is correct on some things but just keep in mind that he or she doesn't get it right every time.

The problem with the JAN and FEB deliveries is that it's outside their window so they will not be producing more cars for CA. This is all based on previous topics as well as sales advisor. If there are any left over then you can get one. If not, you have to wait till March when they start production back up again.

I'm pretty positive if we wait till March we will get all the new features

Chris, this is correct for all models except Model Y. Model Y is not being exported like the other models. You can get one in any month you want. The car we rejected in August, the second month in the 3rd quarter, was built in July, the first month in the 3rd quarter. Sales advisors are unfortunately confusing Model Y with other Models or they are purposely confusing them in an attempt to close sales at the end of 2020. Demand for Model Y is too hot in North America for them to start exporting, I don't see them exporting until after both 7 seat configurations as well as RWD configurations are made available and all reservations for those vehicles are caught up. Maybe mid 2021? Also, the Shanghai factory has started making Model Y for China and I believe some will start being exported to Europe.

Model Y in the US right now is Tesla's cash cow, they can't make enough of them.

• Informative
Is this the same person that has said air suspension is coming to the Model 3?

I'm sure he or she is correct on some things but just keep in mind that he or she doesn't get it right every time.

Chris, this is correct for all models except Model Y. Model Y is not being exported like the other models. You can get one in any month you want. The car we rejected in August, the second month in the 3rd quarter, was built in July, the first month in the 3rd quarter. Sales advisors are unfortunately confusing Model Y with other Models or they are purposely confusing them in an attempt to close sales at the end of 2020. Demand for Model Y is too hot in North America for them to start exporting, I don't see them exporting until after both 7 seat configurations as well as RWD configurations are made available and all reservations for those vehicles are caught up. Maybe mid 2021? Also, the Shanghai factory has started making Model Y for China and I believe some will start being exported to Europe.

Model Y in the US right now is Tesla's cash cow, they can't make enough of them.

thank goodness.

I'll probably wait a little then.

Reactions: imola.zhp
March deliveries. Elon doesn’t give away stuff for free, all those free supercharging/3 months FSD are ends for a mean.

Recalling a statement Tesla put out, they produced about 509k cars and delivered 499.5k cars. Which means they have about 10k cars remaining with old style interior... maybe even less since this doesn’t break down MY vs M3. If there is anytime to take to retool production line for new updates for MY, it is now. There is another quarter by end of March so it would make sense to take January off like what they did for MS and MX to make the necessary adjustments, fulfill delivery with existing inventory and new ones in Feb/March.

March deliveries. Elon doesn’t give away stuff for free, all those free supercharging/3 months FSD are ends for a mean.

Recalling a statement Tesla put out, they produced about 509k cars and delivered 499.5k cars. Which means they have about 10k cars remaining with old style interior... maybe even less since this doesn’t break down MY vs M3. If there is anytime to take to retool production line for new updates for MY, it is now. There is another quarter by end of March so it would make sense to take January off like what they did for MS and MX to make the necessary adjustments, fulfill delivery with existing inventory and new ones in Feb/March.

If the free SC and FSD were only if you took delivery by NYE then that would support the argument that the MY updates are coming sooner rather than later.