Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is. Only if you took delivery by 12/31, completed with all paperworks. The reason was to push for 500k delivery for 2020. But I suspect it is also a consolation for new updates coming.... softens the buyers remorse.

Makes sense since it was only announced a few days before the end of the year. Nobody would have been able to order and pick up when they announced the incentive.

They stopped delivering custom orders beginning of Dec. If you wanted to take delivery before end of the year you had to pick from existing inventory. I suspect the remaining ones will be sold off as “slightly used” for a small discount before the new updated cars arrives in Feb

• Disagree
Reactions: tomagucci
I’m planning to take delivery in the latter half of Q1, so I’m hopeful that the MIC MY upgrades will make it to the US in the next couple of weeks. My personal prediction is that we’ll see a design studio update for ALL models early next week when the S/X production lines reopen (wishful thinking). It seems unlikely that Tesla would have region-level differences in their lineup other than to meet regulatory requirements.

Last edited:
Good to know, I will probably wait too. Thanks for sharing.
Keeping my fingers crossed these updates make it to us in a month or two. Modified my order in Nov 2020, declined end of year push later December
Shaw thinks it’s a matter of week we start seeing the new updates in US made Model Y and he concludes that if you are now in the market for one, you should wait (unless you really hate the new door panels)

I’m waiting for sure.

Discussion on Model Y updates start at about the 2mins 30secs mark. Thanks for sharing the video! Makes me feel better about rejecting delivery in December. Keeping my fingers crossed these updates make it to the US in a month or two. Modified my order in Nov 2020. SA contacted me in late December for end of year sales push to accept delivery with 1year free SC incentive. She said no MYs will be produced in January but I was skeptical this was a sales tactic or she might be misinformed. I haven't heard from SA and no delivery date scheduled since.

Keep in mind that as soon as these updates come along, rumors of new updates will also come along. Bioweapon Defense Hepa filtration system, 5g modems, etc.

Tesla's cars are always changing so you will only have the "latest" car for a short period of time.

Of course, but at the current time there is pretty high likelihood that these *known* upgrades will come to the US soon, so it is reasonable to wait. It’s relatively rare in the Tesla world to have advanced knowledge of pending upgrades like we seem to have at the current time given the MIC Model Y changes.

Reactions: AprilMay
Keeping my fingers crossed these updates make it to us in a month or two. Modified my order in Nov 2020, declined end of year push later December

Discussion on Model Y updates start at about the 2mins 30secs mark. Thanks for sharing the video! Makes me feel better about rejecting delivery in December. Keeping my fingers crossed these updates make it to the US in a month or two. Modified my order in Nov 2020. SA contacted me in late December for end of year sales push to accept delivery with 1year free SC incentive. She said no MYs will be produced in January but I was skeptical this was a sales tactic or she might be misinformed. I haven't heard from SA and no delivery date scheduled since.

The fact that no MY will be produced in January is a good indication that they might be retooling their production lines for the new features.

Yes, Tesla is always iterative but these are known changes that are imminent.... and has already happened in other parts of the world.

The year end incentive is both pushing Q4 delivery numbers and a consolation for missing out on the new changes to come, IMHO.

They stopped delivering custom orders beginning of Dec. If you wanted to take delivery before end of the year you had to pick from existing inventory. I suspect the remaining ones will be sold off as “slightly used” for a small discount before the new updated cars arrives in Feb

This isn't correct. Tesla doesn't build to order but rather matches what's being produced to customer orders.

I picked up a Y at Fremont on 12/31 and it was built on 12/30. I was matched to the VIN on the 12/29.

The fact that no MY will be produced in January is a good indication that they might be retooling their production lines for the new features.

Yes, Tesla is always iterative but these are known changes that are imminent.... and has already happened in other parts of the world.

The year end incentive is both pushing Q4 delivery numbers and a consolation for missing out on the new changes to come, IMHO.

Where did you see that no Y's are being made in Jan?

I ask because the tracking spreadsheet shows 3 cars (so far) with 100k+ VIN's and they received their VIN in 2021. These cars could have been made during the last week of 2020 though. Just curious.

Last edited:
Where did you see that no Y's are being made in Jan?

I ask because the tracking spreadsheet shows 3 cars (so far) with 100k+ VIN's and they received their VIN in 2021. These cars could have been made during the last week of 2020 though. Just curious.
It's been a thing where they only produce at end of quarters for US deliveries so they can focus on other areas of the world.

However, lots of people have been saying the demand is so high that they are going to be producing MY's throughout the quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay
It's been a thing where they only produce at end of quarters for US deliveries so they can focus on other areas of the world.

However, lots of people have been saying the demand is so high that they are going to be producing MY's throughout the quarter.

I was afraid you were going to say that. The Y is not being exported at this time, you can pick one up any month you want. We rejected a car on August 1st, the 2nd month in the 3rd quarter, it was built in July, the 1st month of the 3rd quarter. My understanding is that China is building Y's for China and Europe. Now that the SR and 7 seat options are available we are getting closer to seeing Freemont Y's being exported, but I bet it wont happen until later in the year. My guess is that the backlog of SR and 7-seater configurations will keep them busy for at least half the year.

The Y is Tesla's cash cow right now.

I was afraid you were going to say that. The Y is not being exported at this time, you can pick one up any month you want. We rejected a car on August 1st, the 2nd month in the 3rd quarter, it was built in July, the 1st month of the 3rd quarter. My understanding is that China is building Y's for China and Europe. Now that the SR and 7 seat options are available we are getting closer to seeing Freemont Y's being exported, but I bet it wont happen until later in the year. My guess is that the backlog of SR and 7-seater configurations will keep them busy for at least half the year.

The Y is Tesla's cash cow right now.

yes hopefully the updates come soon

This isn't correct. Tesla doesn't build to order but rather matches what's being produced to customer orders.

I picked up a Y at Fremont on 12/31 and it was built on 12/30. I was matched to the VIN on the 12/29.

That's not true. I wanted a hitch, they told me last day to order was 12/12, beyond that, I would have to wait til January.

Most of the orders are matched and to speed delivery, they don't build to customer's order unless they have none of the configuration in inventory or pipeline.

I ordered a MY LR last week and I already got assigned a VIN yesterday. My Tesla sales rep told me that my MY rolled off the assembly line the same day. So, they are still producing in January.

I won't accept it if it doesn't have the new hardware. Do we think it will?