Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice, they finally updated the configurator for the Model Y but NO new center console yet! Waiting on new headlights, center console and HEPA filter until I convert my LR RWD to AWD..

Still shows old console though, guess they took this picture for the page..

The new configurator is great. But I noticed that the premium connectivity for the SR is now only 30 days, not a year.

Nice, they finally updated the configurator for the Model Y but NO new center console yet! Waiting on new headlights, center console and HEPA filter until I convert my LR RWD to AWD..

Still shows old console though, guess they took this picture for the page..

it’s also interesting that the new configurator still does not mention the heated steering wheel even though we’ve seen it delivered already. Maybe they’re planning to update the content when all the changes (center console, etc.) are in production in Fremont...

I would wait to purchase until Tesla upgrades the model Y suspension! Having recently purchased a 2021 model Y I must say that I love the car but I’ve ordered a set of Ohlins GT coilovers for my MY. Can’t wait... love the car, hate the stock suspension and poor ride quality. Perhaps if enough people put of purchasing the model Y Tesla will hurry up and make and adjustable suspension standard or at least an upgrade option..

definitely thinking of selling my Mar 2020 MYP and getting the refreshed Model X; will definitely wait a few months for the MX to release and work out any quality issues as I learned hard from all the issues i got from my MYP 3XXX VIN
  • wish we could get some value out of FSD/transfer towards another Tesla
  • sucks i spent money on XPEL PPF and tint along with all the upgrades i have so far on the MYP

• Helpful
Reactions: Fuddinator
definitely thinking of selling my Mar 2020 MYP and getting the refreshed Model X; will definitely wait a few months for the MX to release and work out any quality issues as I learned hard from all the issues i got from my MYP 3XXX VIN
  • wish we could get some value out of FSD/transfer towards another Tesla
  • sucks i spent money on XPEL PPF and tint along with all the upgrades i have so far on the MYP
Curious what are you main gripes about the Y? I have a M3P and was thinking of getting a MY for the wife.

It turns out it wasn't an MCU retrofit. It's still MCU 2, but with a dedicated AMD NAVI23 Graphics card. So it is still running on an Intel Atom CPU.

@Technefy oh? oh that actually helps a lot. Presumably then this only impacts in-car gaming (enabling things like Cypberpunk 2077 to run). If that's true, then I'm not worried about waiting for this change. I was more worried about being left behind on key vehicle technology, and not interested in gaming in the car.

@Technefy oh? oh that actually helps a lot. Presumably then this only impacts in-car gaming (enabling things like Cypberpunk 2077 to run). If that's true, then I'm not worried about waiting for this change. I was more worried about being left behind on key vehicle technology, and not interested in gaming in the car.
Yeah, I expected the refreshed car to come with 5G which is a bummer heading to the future. Wanted 5G but if there's no 5G, it'll automatically drop back down to LTE like the Iphone 12

Curious what are you main gripes about the Y? I have a M3P and was thinking of getting a MY for the wife.

no gripes - just that with one of the earliest deliveries i had so much quality issues that needed service center apptments; also i was already debating on getting the 2021 MY as things got/getting released (heated steering wheel, taillights, headlights, hepa, possible adaptive suspension, etc.); seeing the MX refresh was too legit for me to not consider upgrading

Ok.
Here's whats for sure in new MY already
- Metal scroll wheels
- Auto dimming side mirrors
- Double Panned Glass
- USB in glovebox
- Tail lights LED Yellow

Here's what is in the MIC Model Y that SHOULD be coming to the US models

- Updated Headlights
- Updated Center Console
- Updated Door Dash Trim
- Hepa/Biodefense Mode

Here is what is coming in the MX and MS that SHOULD come to the MY
-MCU3

Future end of Year??
- Updated Battery
-Air Suspension

Did I miss anything? This is all conjecture but we're hoping it's March.

They will release MU3 at the same time for all cars. They cant release just for MS, it will hurt sales for other cars because people will wait until its available

Model S and X will get the main attention for a few months. They WILL release just for Model X/S. Model X/S owners have suffered for three years while Model 3/Y owners got all the attention. It's about time the flagship cars got the spotlight.

Reactions: VikH