Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end, I didn’t want the first rendition of a new EV.

I believe the ID3 is the first rendition. They made some major changes though, like a heat pump as opposed to resistive heating.

Expect a price increase for all Tesla models if the $7500 credit is reinstated. Just look at how prices decreased as the credit was phased out.

Yes, and that's where timing is key. No big deal if I miss it but it would be nice. Currently Tesla is trying to move volume and raising prices is not the way to do that.

Oh?! Do you mind pointing me in the direction of such an accessory? First I've heard of this!
You need to learn how to do a Google search. :)

Tesla Model 3/Y HUD Full LED Digital Screen Instrument Clust

Then Tesla will sell zero cars if that happen.

VW,Ford, Mercedes already have competitive pricing AND tax credit.

Cant imagine Tesla rising their prices of MY and M3 ever.

Actually, and mark my words , this April SR MY will go down to $39.999

I disagree, Tesla will continue to sell more and more cars even with increased prices.

But as Elon said, they cut the price as the tax credit was phased out because:
1. They had to in order to continue selling cars
2. The manufacturing costs went down due to scale and efficiencies

That being said, prices could go up but I don't think they will
but demand will go way up.

Elon says a lot of things.

I believe the ID3 is the first rendition. They made some major changes though, like a heat pump as opposed to resistive heating.

Yes, and that's where timing is key. No big deal if I miss it but it would be nice. Currently Tesla is trying to move volume and raising prices is not the way to do that.

iD.4 will not have a heat pump in the US, only in Canada, so if you live in a colder US climate the Y will be more efficient in the winter.

Our 6 month old order is expiring mid-month, I'm planning to put in another order to lock in the current price on the off-chance the credit is re-instated this year. I think it will be 2022, but I'm playing it by ear. If Tesla doesn't see it coming one might be able to get the current price and still take advantage of the tax credit. I'm willing to gamble a few $100 order fee's to chance a $7500 tax credit.

iD.4 will not have a heat pump in the US, only in Canada, so if you live in a colder US climate the Y will be more efficient in the winter.

False!

"All models of new ID. 3 and ID. 4 cars are equipped with energy-efficient heat pump for heating and AC. German car maker Volkswagen said it has started offering a CO2 (R744) heat pump to supply heat and air conditioning in its electric vehicles, one of the first car makers to do so. announced Dec 15, 2020"

I don't think VW is one of the first because Tesla beat them to it.

Volkswagen Offering CO2 Heat Pump for Electric Vehicles.

False!

"All models of new ID. 3 and ID. 4 cars are equipped with energy-efficient heat pump for heating and AC. German car maker Volkswagen said it has started offering a CO2 (R744) heat pump to supply heat and air conditioning in its electric vehicles, one of the first car makers to do so. announced Dec 15, 2020"

I don't think VW is one of the first because Tesla beat them to it.

Volkswagen Offering CO2 Heat Pump for Electric Vehicles.

Not sure where you found that, my work computer will not let me open that link, says it is not safe.

But here is an Inside EV's article.

Volkswagen: Winter Isn't A Worry For Modern EVs Like The ID.4

"The conventional heating can be improved if the car is equipped with a heat pump, which consumes 2-3 less energy than the electric resistance heater. Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no heat pump option for the ID.4 in the U.S. (although it's offered in Europe)."
Perhaps the article you have linked is referring to other markets.

The Y is in constant evolution. The interview with Elon revealed how much better the rear 1 piece casting is not to mention it will also become reality for the front eventually. Battery capacity with new cells will also suddenly appear, question remains when.
It's very strange that it's not a 'linear' evolution, though.... The MY with the new console is a 122xxx VIN while the one with new headlights is 124xxx but has old console..... ;-) I know they don't necessarily build them in VIIN order (which is another stranger thing) but still.

It's very strange that it's not a 'linear' evolution, though.... The MY with the new console is a 122xxx VIN while the one with new headlights is 124xxx but has old console..... ;-) I know they don't necessarily build them in VIIN order (which is another stranger thing) but still.

Its quite easy to explain. One car was built on one line, the other car was built on another line. New headlamps worked their way into the line 124k was built on but not the console, while the console worked its way into the line 122k was built on but not the headlamps. I'm betting in a few short weeks both lines will have the same components going into the cars built on them.

Its quite easy to explain. One car was built on one line, the other car was built on another line. New headlamps worked their way into the line 124k was built on but not the console, while the console worked its way into the line 122k was built on but not the headlamps. I'm betting in a few short weeks both lines will have the same components going into the cars built on them.

Do we know how many lines are there?

I suspect it has more to do with batching of cars for manufacturing, rather than multiple lines. For example, making a batch of performance model, then a batch of long range, then a batch of short range, possibly also with batching by color. Batching explains why VIN numbers interleave.

Matrix Headlights - might be cool.
New dash - meh
New door panels - never, no thank you.
4860 batteries - yes!
LR RWD - super efficient + range? Yup
Air suspension - hells yeah!
Heated steering wheel - meh, move to CA
New castings - do we really care?
HEPA - not a big deal
82kw pack - nice, not a deal breaker.
Gaming MCU - mehhh

Then Tesla will sell zero cars if that happen.

VW,Ford, Mercedes already have competitive pricing AND tax credit.

Cant imagine Tesla rising their prices of MY and M3 ever.

Actually, and mark my words , this April SR MY will go down to $39.999

SR+ Model Y dropped $2,000 then removed from the online configurator, so you are right it got down to that price, but wrong in that you can't order it now.

new prices update as of Feb 18 2021, all cars Blue with no FSD, no "savings", Excluding taxes and fees, rounded to the next thousand dollars.

~$37,000 new 2021 SR+ Model 3
xxxxxxxx new 2021 SR+ Model Y (removed, was ~$40,000)
~$46,000 new 2021 AWD Model 3
~$49,000 new 2021 AWD Model Y

Last edited:
In the event Tesla raises its prices after the EV tax credit passes, are those who ordered but haven't taken delivery yet locked into the lower price? I'm curious about those who had orders for the MYP who had the price increase by $1,000. We're they fine because the order occurred before the price increase?

In the event Tesla raises its prices after the EV tax credit passes, are those who ordered but haven't taken delivery yet locked into the lower price? I'm curious about those who had orders for the MYP who had the price increase by $1,000. We're they fine because the order occurred before the price increase?

Good Question, I am also curious to know if the price increased?