Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General TMC thread viewing question?

How many posts per pages do you view?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 2 13.3%

Votes: 2 13.3%

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Forum Default!

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I see 100 posts at a time. I am curious what everyone else looks at the site with. If you want to leave some comments on why you view at your level please feel free to do so.

I read TMC on 3 computers (work laptop, my laptop, and my desktop) on Chrome (laptops) and IE 9 (desktop). I view 100 posts per page. I generally have a very good internet connection (sometimes work is a little slow on heavy picture threads) where download times are not an issue. I view on Chrome because multiple tabs (every new thread gets its own tab, about 10 or so at a time) bogs down IE 9 (and my work laptop is XP so I maxed out on IE8). But in general it feels like IE9 renders the page slightly more quickly than Chrome. I like to keep my desktop clean of extra programs (I only have one browser on it) where my laptops have 4 browsers to choose from, plus my desktop doesn't really ever get bogged down.

The only issues I get reading 100 posts, is general overall length gets unmanageable with lots of attachments, or long posts. I also have problems with both (more so with IE9, but also with Chrome) rendering the page before all images are downloaded. The proper space is not allocated for the images and I don't get sent straight to the most recent posts.

I also use Opera, and Firefox, but not for TMC often.

I do 100. 500 is too many for threads with lots of pictures. 40 requires too many "Next page" and "Previous page" clicks.

I also have a very good internet connection, and view with Chrome / Firefox using a new tab per thread (with maybe like 20 tabs open at a time, max).

I run at 500 with Chrome (on Lion), but I have to send p.twitter.com to the null void to prevent Chrome from hanging. Also had to disable Flash to prevent Chrome from displaying a blank page every time you get to the bottom. I tend to open 20 tabs at a time from the "new posts" page using command click on the "go to first new post" chevron.

Chrome (dev channel), I have click-to-play turned on (Settings, Advanced, Content Settings, Plug-Ins) which helps. I open a whole lotta tabs (I wrote an extension to do this automatically for me, but I haven't had a chance to update it for the new dev channel API changes). I keep items/tab at 40 because I still remember that bug where anything over that slowed things to a crawl. I try not to go over 20 or so tabs at a time (my extension kept 10 open). All this on an aged (>2yr) MacBook Pro (I will not own another Windows laptop at this point!). I need to try my Samsung 5 series Chromebook to see how it does...

I'll do quite a bit to avoid any clicking-and-waiting.

I'll refrain from making smart-ass comments on IE, even if it deserves it. ;-)

(I tried Tapatalk on my Nexus 7 this weekend - not being able to do the multiple-tab-click-thing made it frustrating...)

Loving Tapatalk HD for the iPad. Have been far more efficient at reading through new posts (mostly in the sub-forums under Tesla Motors Forums). Don't go to the full website much anymore atleast while at home. At work, Chrome it is with 3 tabs dedicated to TMC.

Thanks for the tip--just changed my setting to 40 per page (didn't know you could change this).

I browse the forum exclusively on my iPad. One issue is that the forum editor doesn't support uploading of pictures from the iPad's photo archive. Maybe someone knows of a work-around? I know their is a URL option, but I find it a pain to have to post my pictures onto a website first.

Could you post a Tapatalk HD screenshot of the TMC forum so I can see what it looks like before spending the five bucks on the app?

Here are a few:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341499701.038147.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341499713.761911.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341499726.118889.jpg