Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geneva Motor Show - Zurich to Geneva on Friday, 9th of March 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should charge you 100 € per adapter. That was the price when I asked last year. In Switzerland you absolutely need the red one. So you are telling me in Spain they use the blue one with 3 pins, just like in Italy?

Many thanks dpeilow and eberhard. That's the sort of advice I need... I am an electric touring novice and need my hand held for the first few trips ;)

I already traveled from Germany to Murcia and then back to Geneva. Most sockets are 16A only (Schuko) and yachting ports, there are often the blues ones (one phase) 32A CEE, but also 3-phase 32A CEE. A good idea is to see the local fire brigade, the may have 32A sockets. I did charged in Sabadell (contacted EMOVEMENT or ask Patrick from Volt-Tour) in Spain and in Narbonne, where the offical charging station in the underground garage didn't worked well, but the socket at the carwash worked fine. (16A).

So essentially you drive up to the fire department and say "can I plug my car in here for the next 3 hours please?". I guess at the yachting port (or camp site) you will be paying... were they reasonable? 16A outlets means using the 13A cable (or some kind of adapter) so that is going to charge at about 20kms range per hour... that won't be enough for this trip so it has to be 32A or nothing at every stop.

Ideally I'd pre-arrange the stops and confirm the kind of connector and max current. I am chasing volt-tour and any other contact who may be able to help.

I'm going to make some calls to hotels too.

If you have the 32A blue adapter, i would buy or build myself a 32A --> blue 16A Adapter (kown as "camping-plug" ) do charge with true 16A (don't forget to dial down the Amps to 16A or the fuse will fly)
Also an adapter --> red 3-phase CEE 32A plug connect L1 only and the same on red CEE 16A too.

Yes I was going to add that a 16A to 32A adapter would be useful. You'd need the 16A blue plug.

MK Commando Interlocked Straight Plug 16A 2P+E 200-250V (IP44) Screwfix.com

97317_P.jpg

On my early long drives where I didn't know what I would find, I would carry 16A blue, 32A blue and 32A red adapters (and used all three). I also carried a 32A DIN size MCB breaker so that I could wire directly to a fuse board if worst came to worst, but I never had to use that.

Rather than making lots of separate adapters which take up room, I would carry the plugs and a small screwdriver. Then if you have to swap the red for a blue plug, it's just a 2 minute job.

I also made a Y adapter that had two UK plugs going into a 32A socket. In theory you can pull 24A from double outlet, but be very very careful doing this (you need a good quality outlet - cheap Chinese no-brand ones don't cut it - and know that the upstream supply wiring is good enough). This is a bit naughty though...

4663297048_b66de2abf8_z.jpg

So in summary we recommend you have these plugs:

32A single phase blue (the default already on the UMC)
16A single phase blue (often found in campsites)
32A three phase red (often found in hotel kitchens and in Switzerland a lot)
16A single phase red (Eberhard's call)

A Y cable with 2 standard Schuko plugs (if you feel up to it!)

All going to a trailing 32A socket.

As you can see from my links, the plugs are pretty cheap so it's not a big deal to carry several.

I also made a 20 metre 32 Amp extension lead, which has proved very useful over the years. You can make one from 4mm² cable (no thinner) or buy one like this:

14 METRE 32 AMP 230 VOLT 4MM EXTENSION CABLE LEAD 240 | eBay

!BoM2sVQBmk~$(KGrHqEOKicEuZP-c9znBLmlSRKzs!~~_35.JPG

I also made a 20 metre 32 Amp extension lead, which has proved very useful over the years. You can make one from 4mm² cable (no thinner) or buy one like this:

14 METRE 32 AMP 230 VOLT 4MM EXTENSION CABLE LEAD 240 | eBay

!BoM2sVQBmk~$(KGrHqEOKicEuZP-c9znBLmlSRKzs!~~_35.JPG

For 32A at least 6 square mm is recommended especially if you cable is more then 5m (I have 10m) with 20m even 10 square mm is not to big. If your voltage is dropping to much, you have to dial down the current instead.

Last edited:
"Tesla’s stand at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show will embody the company’s philosophy of continuous innovation.

Exhibited will be two very special examples of the car that started it all: the Tesla Roadster – a unique custom variant and a limited edition 2012 Roadster with new options and a striking new colour, "Ash Grey", available only in Europe, Asia and Australia.

The show will also serve as the European Premiere of the highly anticipated Model S – the world’s first premium electric sedan."

http://www.teslamotors.com/event/geneva-motor-show-0

I've just sent them an e-mail to ask if I can go IN the Model S.

At the factory event in October I had a short testdrive in the S, but it went so fast that I didn't get a good look of the interior. I hope I can just sit in the car and look around.

I sent you a plan for the route. Here's the highlights...

For me this is going to be a 3 day trip each way, with 6x90% charge cycles through places where I doubt it will be that easy to get 32A outlets.

Day 1:
Madrid-Zaragoza 318kms
Charge (unknown)
Zaragoza-Barcelona 305kms
Charge in a hotel (unknown)

Day 2:
Barcelona - Narbonne 253kms
Charge (unknown)
Narbonne - Aix-en-Provence 242kms
Charge at your place (thanks)

Day 3:
Aix-en-Provence - Grenoble 241kms
Charge
Grenoble - Geneva 142kms
Charge at Conference centre or hotel (I hope!)

And one final question ... are all 32A outlets the same? I have this cable from Tesla (never used it):
View attachment 4300

Yes 220V 32A are the same in Europe it is the standard for the Industry and you find this connections in France where the are local markets the sunday morning.
You need to built an 380V 32A red plug to 220V 32A blue plug.
I am going to send you by e-mail a project of road trip