Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geniepoint Charging Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3LR - Using CCS

Sadly there aren't superchargers everywhere - and I've been trying to use a genie point public charger close to my office for the past couple of weeks. Every time, despite connecting (eventually but that's another story!) the charging completely stops after 10-15 minutes, despite having got nowhere near to fully charging my car.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Geniepoint are trying to tell me its a comms issue with the car, but I haven't had these problems with the other non-testa chargers I have used (mostly Instavolt - excellent in my experience BTW)

I've never successfully managed to get a Genie point to work properly!

(1) The interface is shocking... having to log onto a website to start it going
(2) None of the charging points or connectors ever appear to be numbered so you've no idea which one your trying to use
(3) You have to top up in order for it to work, and then for some reason it doesn't use this money and charges you again
(4) I ordered a RFID fob from the website which cost £9 and I was charged again for this even though I have money in my online account. I haven't managed to summon the courage to try this yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
I've never successfully managed to get a Genie point to work properly!

(1) The interface is shocking... having to log onto a website to start it going
(2) None of the charging points or connectors ever appear to be numbered so you've no idea which one your trying to use
(3) You have to top up in order for it to work, and then for some reason it doesn't use this money and charges you again
(4) I ordered a RFID fob from the website which cost £9 and I was charged again for this even though I have money in my online account. I haven't managed to summon the courage to try this yet.
I agree with the top up and rfid card charge is ridiculous and excessive :-/

The procedure was something like on the website /app (same thing) choose the charge point, set it into a certain mode, wave your Tesla keycard card (or other RFID card) against the machine’s card reader. Once associated you can charge without the app. No need to buy their RFID.
….but you still need to find a GeniePoint charger that works.

Being a fellow Forum member I did my duty to try my local Geniepoint charger and stayed there over 20 mins to see if it cut me out - all seems fine! 🤞🏼 I’ve got to say I think if you look on plugshare it depends on where the charger is located and it relies on 3/4G mobile data to communicate to your phone app. All in all it’s worked for me and am confident in using this network again in the future! 🤞🏼🙏🏼👍🏼

Attachments

• 0C552493-145C-423C-9DBB-281209ED7E19.png
    0C552493-145C-423C-9DBB-281209ED7E19.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 025C214F-B80F-48E9-AD56-872246C51145.png
    025C214F-B80F-48E9-AD56-872246C51145.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 47
  • D7C7F408-1528-4867-ADA0-E212656EE2E7.png
    D7C7F408-1528-4867-ADA0-E212656EE2E7.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 37
I've used the GeniePoint one at my local Morrisons a couple of times with zero issues. One was an entire hour charge. It has contactless too, no need for the app.

In fact I tried to start it via the app. I'd plugged the cable into my car, then went to select the CCS connector but it told me it was "in use". Presumably because it was locked into my car. I assume you have to start in then plug it in. Seems backwards to me though. I just tapped my contactless card to start it instead.

The GeniePoint charger is very reliable according to ZapMap comments. Much more so than the BP Pulse just down the road, which always has issues.

A new Osprey 50kwh one has just popped up at a local Asda car park so I'm going to try that one too. Cheaper than GeniePoint as well at 31p.

I've used the GeniePoint one at my local Morrisons a couple of times with zero issues. One was an entire hour charge. It has contactless too, no need for the app.

In fact I tried to start it via the app. I'd plugged the cable into my car, then went to select the CCS connector but it told me it was "in use". Presumably because it was locked into my car. I assume you have to start in then plug it in. Seems backwards to me though. I just tapped my contactless card to start it instead.

The GeniePoint charger is very reliable according to ZapMap comments. Much more so than the BP Pulse just down the road, which always has issues.

A new Osprey 50kwh one has just popped up at a local Asda car park so I'm going to try that one too. Cheaper than GeniePoint as well at 31p.
Interesting I’ve always operated the geniepoint charger all through the app and it works fine by me! Must be each charge points’ little quirks which you have to fathom - I’ve still not tried instavolt or osprey yet but heard good things :)

I've just used a genie point at Morrisons. Supposedly a type two connector at 43kw
For the first half hour the charger was at 4/6kw.
By the time an hour was up it was up to 16.5kw
Cost me just over 7 quid for about 74 miles of range.. Which in this weather is probably closer to 50.
At these prices I may as well go buy a cheap diesel car

I've just used a genie point at Morrisons. Supposedly a type two connector at 43kw
For the first half hour the charger was at 4/6kw.
By the time an hour was up it was up to 16.5kw
Cost me just over 7 quid for about 74 miles of range.. Which in this weather is probably closer to 50.
At these prices I may as well go buy a cheap diesel car
Sounds like a faulty charger. I've never had speeds that slow at a GeniePoint.

Reactions: Jonnymack74