Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GenIII, "We really need to find a better name for it"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far we've got Roadster, Model S (Sedan), and Model X (Crossover). Following the current nomenclature Model T would be a Truck. However that name is too closely tied to Ford, in my opinion. Model C makes me think "Camry" which makes me think boring and uninspiring. I'm not sure what the general, non-enthusiast public would think on "Model C", though, so it could work.

I think Model C is probably the best bet, as it's clear that Tesla is using category names. I'm expecting Model C and Model R for the coupe and new roadster, respectively.

One Model C for me! Make it red

tesla-model-s-coupe-render-628.jpg
tesla-model-s-coupe-render-2-1368022836.jpg

@brianstorms

Sorry but I would prefer a smaller Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

@aronth5

I wouldn't get bored with a smaller Model S. I think that you never get bored with Model S. Most important thing is that new options (ACC, AWD, blind spot, power folding mirrors) will be implemented both on Model S and Gen III.

@brianstorms

Sorry but I would prefer a smaller Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

@aronth5

I wouldn't get bored with a smaller Model S. I think that you never get bored with Model S. Most important thing is that new options (ACC, AWD, blind spot, power folding mirrors) will be implemented both on Model S and Gen III.

I don't mind a smaller 2 door Model S and it would sell well. I just want the Gen3 to stand out and not just be a smaller copy of the S.

This would be fine as a 2 door version of the Model S but not the Gen3. Gen3 needs to be distinctive and obviously a Tesla but not just a smaller Model S. That would be way too boring for me.
I do expect more radical design changes but I'd be OK if it looked like those renderings.

Not to mention the whole 2 door thing. I imagine a mass adoption car will need 4 doors.
Probably correct, but I'd be fine with a 2 door vehicle.

I know these are just renderings but I think it's worth pointing out: If 21" rims don't look "way too big", then they've made the Gen III vehicle too large
Of course, and it isn't even genIII but Gen2 in "third" alternative configuration, Model X being the second, and Wagon the fourth.

IMHO if/when TM wants to sell >200k GenIII vehicles/annum they will have to offer more than one configuration. The base will be 5 door sedan/hatchback, wagon as first option and coupe as second option.
It is just that I'm in love with a coupes, IMHO they are the apex of driver's cars. Not to harsh and limiting as roadsters or cabriolets but still not school buses like 'station wagons'.

As good-looking as 2-doors are, I wouldn't buy the Gen-III if it's 2-door only. I've gotten used to the practicality of a four-door, and with the numerous high-performance sedans on the market (the Model S being among them) there's little if any sacrifice in performance anymore for the added practicality.