Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gentle weaving on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I did a longish trip and tried to use the AP on the motorway portions.
I had a car full of people (6 - its an MX) plus luggage.

I found that on very often on both straight and curved sections, the car seemed to
start doing a slow, gentle weaving. The steering wheel barely moved
left and right, and I found my body slowly rocking left and right by a couple of cms.

My wife, who was in the back also noticed it.

I tried holding the wheel a little tighter to damp these oscillations, but that didn't help.
In the end, I couldn't use AP at all.

This is my first decent trip since V9 - just wondering if its a problem with the car or
V9?

Thx.

it might be all in my head, but it seems to do this with each update, and then settle down after a few days. The car learns? or calibration of the camera(s) and radar? My car is AP1 and over the past few weeks since my last update 42.2 it is dead steady in the centre of the lane 97% of the time. Some corners in some conditions it may ping-pong a bit, such as into bright sun, or heavy rain, or if the way in front of the camera/radar is dirty; that is the other 3% of the time. It may also do this if tracking another car in front (vehicle turns blue) and that car is weaving or blocking the view of the lanes.

I've had 42.2 for a while, but this was my first long trip with it - so the first chance to use AP for long.
Perhaps it was a calibration issue that will sort itself out. I sure do hope so. Of note - my wife went on another
longish trip (120km) the same day we returned from our long trip and it was still doing it.
It could be dirt... I'll check the cameras.

I doubt it was due to tracking another weaving car for two reasons:
- it happened both Friday evening out of the city and Monday am returning to the city (until I gave up on AP). Plus I tried several times. It was unlikely that so many different cars I followed were weaving.
- it was so regular and went on for so long that I doubt it was of human origin.

Mike,
I didn't mention, but the wife's trip (which was the same day we got back) was just her
with no luggage or passengers. The weaving happened then.

I keep my tyres 2 psi high for better economy (42 vs 40), so I am pretty sure the weaving
wasn't low pressure.

Thx for the ideas.

My wife did some gentle weaving in the car too while on auto-pilot... this is how it ended up.

I'm blaming the car. My wife is version 2.0 and is perfectly calibrated. Version 1 was a mess!

weave.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve noticed this too. V9 for me seems to be less capable of smooth lane centering on highway and makes constant small corrections that create this sensation of weaving a little. My teenage son complained about it last journey with no prompting.....

Hoping they can improve AP significantly. Its too laggy and gets confused and responds pretty scary in certain areas that I drive.

My 2018 Mercedes and 2018 Honda actually give me more confidence when they drive themselves.

Same issue here, v8 felt better to me. I took my car for annual service and asked to do camera calibration.I think it helped some, but I totally agree AP needs a lot of work
It works decently on perfectly marked and smooth roads, but guess what - we don't have lots of these around...