Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genuine Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Ok, probably gonna get a load of incoming flack here but......

I’ve ordered an M3P, it’s a 57k vehicle. Now, I’ve spent some time on here and of course the subject of accessories and add ons, granted some of the things mentioned, like storage for dash cam etc and cosmetic stuff like a console wrap to avoid scratches on the piano black, I get that, I really do

BUT

does no one else think that having to go out and buy mud guards for the car cos “the paint is rubbish” is just taking the mickey? This isn’t a cheap car right? Yet it seems like buying a lot of these accessories is kinda “patching it up”

Granted I may well be wrong but I’m now seriously considering cancelling my order. Have I made the right decision going for the Tesla? What am I getting into here? A car that needs the owner to make good on what Tesla haven’t done? Doesn’t seem right to me like.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
A car that needs the owner to make good on what Tesla haven’t done? Doesn’t seem right to me like.

The car doesn't "need" you to to make these additions or changes ... but people sometimes decide to make the best of what they have. There's every opinion already been expressed on this forum. Do the searches. I'm not too sure it's worth a new thread to go over stuff that's been discussed and recorded. You can only weigh up what you read ... throw in a good pinch of salt here and there ... and make your decision. I do fear that some people are doomed to be disappointed, just as there are others who seem guaranteed to be delighted by the car. And some of those differences appear to have as much to do with the person as with the car. Maybe I'm lucky that at I'm in the delighted camp!

I’ve ‘only’ got an SR+, but I can tell you as a casual owner who hasn’t bought any additional bits for it except some floor mats (which you’ll get as standard anyway on the M3P) that it’s by far the best car I’ve owned. All cars I’ve owned have had flaws, be it poor infotainment or uncomfortable seats, but you can get past that quite easily if you accept that for all its pros, it will have some cons. In my view, you won’t regret it.

I’d suggest looking at the £57k as £17k for the car and £40k for the battery. The build quality and fit/finish are not what you’d typically expect when spending £57k and neither is the customer service.

It isn’t a premium vehicle in that sense but you are paying a premium for being a relatively early adopter.

Now that I have had the Hansshow auto frunk and trunk kit I could literally not imagine the car without it. It baffles me that such an important quality of life upgrade is not built in by Tesla. This is why it's included in the model Y

You'd probably be fine without mud guards, ppf etc. But generally, on a car forum, you'll find enthusiasts that want to 'baby' their new toy. Hence the protective parent approach and discussions.

+1 to that. Go to ANY enthusiast forum for ANY car brand and you will find people tweaking and adding everything you can think of. To the OPs point, the Tesla does lack a few of the more basic things, but that's because, to be honest, you are buying a state-of-the-art power train in a reasonably well, but not luxuriously, appointed car.

If you didn’t get the M3P what else would you get?

certainly nothing comparable for smiles :)

I got the same car 5 weeks ago, yes the paint is clearly a bit thin, i have a couple of tiny stone chips already but tbh NOTHING comes close in terms of car enjoyment for me,
I waited 18 months for a 5.0l mustang which was fun but this is a different league

Yes they’ll have probably missed things on pre delivery inspection that means a mobile service visit or a service centre trip, that’s par for the course but you’re jumping in at the beta stage, paying for the privilege of being in the cool gang and you’re gonna have a blast along the way.

accept these things and you’ll be happy.
Sweat over the small things like the paint and the price etc and you’ll find lots of reasons to be unhappy.

Don’t mean this to sound blunt but as the manual says....there’s a lot of beta going on here but for me that’s part of the fun, supporting Elon as a guy that’s actually doing sh*t not like the other tech ceos.

Welcome to the club, it’s basically like any rollercoaster, keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times and hold on tight!!! :)

oh and get a go pro for passenger reaction vids, never gets old for me!

My 2 cents: a lot of what you read on here that you ‘need’, you do not need. My M3LR is in amazing condition without any accessories, and doesn’t need any. I may get some because I want to, but the normal retail buyer would not think it sub-standard without those accessories.

My main disappointment with my M3P wasn’t with things like build quality or paint finish, which are just about adequate, but with comfort and refinement. This car is not nearly as refined as it should be for the price. Sure, it’s quiet at low speeds because there’s no engine, but over 40mph noise begins to really creep in. At 70 mph road noise (especially on 20” rims) and wind noise are far more intrusive than they should be.

Sure, I was also disappointed by the crappy windscreen wipers, automatic headlights and TACC (especially violent phantom braking) but these are SLOWLY being improved by software updates. It would take a lot more than a software update to improve comfort and refinement.

Reactions: Type2
My main disappointment with my M3P wasn’t with things like build quality or paint finish, which are just about adequate, but with comfort and refinement. This car is not nearly as refined as it should be for the price. Sure, it’s quiet at low speeds because there’s no engine, but over 40mph noise begins to really creep in. At 70 mph road noise (especially on 20” rims) and wind noise are far more intrusive than they should be.

Sure, I was also disappointed by the crappy windscreen wipers, automatic headlights and TACC (especially violent phantom braking) but these are SLOWLY being improved by software updates. It would take a lot more than a software update to improve comfort and refinement.
Interesting as with my 2 week old M3P vs the BMW M3 I actually think there is virtually no wind noise or tyre noise on the motorway...I commute 25 miles each way to work!

As others have said...there is plenty to be disappointed about...the paint is shocking, the build quality just about acceptable. The customer service is particularly poor. But the car...feels like you have got in a car designed in the 21st century and everything else has just kept evolving from the 1950s...that’s how far ahead it is. The drivetrain is insane.

So yeah..the benefits definitely outweigh the problems at this stage!

Interesting as with my 2 week old M3P vs the BMW M3 I actually think there is virtually no wind noise or tyre noise on the motorway...I commute 25 miles each way to work!

As others have said...there is plenty to be disappointed about...the paint is shocking, the build quality just about acceptable. The customer service is particularly poor. But the car...feels like you have got in a car designed in the 21st century and everything else has just kept evolving from the 1950s...that’s how far ahead it is. The drivetrain is insane.

So yeah..the benefits definitely outweigh the problems at this stage!

I’d suggest the M3P is at least one class up from the BMW 3 series, even the M model, especially as you have to bear in mind that you will always get significant discounts on a BMW that you can’t get on a Tesla. For instance, using a broker you can get 25% discount on a 640 Gran Turismo M Sport, giving an OTR of less than £45k. That one shed load cheaper than an M3P, and the 640 is a very refined car.

Using a broker, I got 21% off my Audi A6 S line 3.0l TDi V6 so that it cost me £48k with lots of added optional extras. Obviously the performance doesn’t compare to the M3P, but as far as refinement and comfort goes the A6 knocks the Tesla into a cocked hat. They’re in a completely different league, and the A6 was £9k cheaper to boot.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
@Bootneckshuffl You will soon realise you should be grateful to Elon for letting you have a chance to own a Tesla. There are no faults with the car, its owners not using the car properly or not understanding how Elon designed it to be used :).

Possibly the best cars built by the worst car company you can imagine, that's the paradox of Tesla ownership. Accept every relationship in life is flawed, and disappointed is just another way to make you appreciate the good times more, and your Tesla ownership process will be a much less stressful event.

Remember utopia doesn't exist in real life, regardless of the price tag.

Last edited:
Some good advice given so hopefully you’ll still go ahead and buy the car.

It’s a very good vehicle as far as electric goes, offering performance, “comfort” and a very decent cost of ownership all wrapped up in a design and technology that is on another level compared to ICE vehicles.

I still chuckle at the mudflaps threads. Aesthetically I hate them with a passion, more so the larger sized ones and the colour coded ones, some of which aren’t a good match. Yes the paint is poor (thin) in the lower sections of the car specifically, which is a shame as it exaggerates the issue with stone rash when compared to most other car manufacturers. If needed I would consider a section of ppf to address the sills and sections before and after the rear wheels, but will see once the cars done a few miles.

The irony is mine came fitted with the small front mud flaps which actually look quite discreet! No surprise that they weren’t fitted straight / flush, but this was easily rectified.

The USP is the car itself. It has flaws yes, but the ever evolving technology and current position as best all around EV make it very attractive. Enough for most owners to see beyond all the build and quality related niggles. I definitely don’t regret getting my M3P. I enjoy driving it and this is coming from someone who is quite meticulous with their cars and last 3 cars have all been excellent and reliable AMG’s (still own one).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl