Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genuine Tesla PPF Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks exactly the same as my 1998 Elise has only they are black and certainly show impacts where they protect the gel coat.
Should have been standard fitment. I fitted the tiny mud flaps on the same day of getting my car as paint does not protect from stones hitting it at speed. My windscreen can attest to that on its first motorway trip.

Model 3 All Weather Protection Kit

I can understand the sale of mudflaps from Tesla but they're now selling a DIY kit (in the US) to add your own PPF around the rear arches.

Anyone else see this as an admission of poor paint quality? I know some car manufacturers offer PPF from the factory but this seems more of an after thought.
I doubt you'd ever get them to admit that it fixes a weakness or anything, rather than it is "added protection" or something along those lines.

Interesting. Looks like just the mud guards and extensions (splash guards?) and not the PPF.
Interesting. Looks like just the mud guards and extensions (splash guards?) and not the PPF.
IMG_0815.jpg

By all accounts the extra length 'add on' guards get caught very easily...

Would be very interested to see if the shorter versions do enough to stop damage/mud, I like them because they're quite discrete vs other available mud guards, and with a white M3 I don't want giant black things hanging across my paintwork!

My car was actually delivered with the short front mud guards.

Had to laugh as there description. I've also had car with factory fitted protection in those areas.

I'd be interested in the PPF though, has anyone tried DIY from buying a sheet of the stuff?

I'd be interested in the PPF though, has anyone tried DIY from buying a sheet of the stuff?

Xpel sells pre cut kits. Its probably this one but not sure how you would purchase. Rocker Panel Kit (ULTIMATE PLUS) You could probably get that professionally installed by an Xpel recommended installer for just over £400 so not a huge saving DIY.

The Tesla kit is a lot smaller, but from experience, the car gets a lot of abuse on that area even with mud flaps so the fuller kit will protect much more although still not perfect. Just make sure you get the edges wrapped.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Godsense