Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Geo)fenced in...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 developed a leaky trunk so I booked it into the Glasgow SC. On leaving to go there, the car reported one tyre with slightly low pressure. I decided to keep going as the SC is only 5 miles away and I'd inflate the tyre at the other end, rather than on the road.

I pulled up around 200m from the SC because it's usually busy inside, and did the needful with the inflator. Got back in the car and entered PIN to Drive. Nope, wrong. A typo, I thought. Tried again. Nuhuh. Tried again, nope. Rebooted, thinking it was a sw glitch. Nope.

After some head scratching, i got onto the app and sent them a text asking for help - and thankfully got a prompt response . I'm sure many of you know about this but it's news to me - there's a Tesla geofence around the SCs now that detects the car, knows its coming for service rather than just passing by, AND CHANGES THE PIN TO DRIVE - so you can just drop the car off without a handover. As I said, news to me.

Drove in feeling sheepish, then couldn't find the key safe containing the card key for the loaner - got help from a Service Team member (it wasn't where the pre text msg said it would be). Then, i couldn't find the loaner. Got help from another Service Team member to find it (it wasn't where the pre-text msg said it would be).

Basically, I broke the touchless handover in every aspect. Felt very stupid too. Maybe I need to buy something from the 80s next time.

(Still got the loaner, not sure when my car will be ready - grommet shortage, apparently)

Thank you for reading my therapeutic primal scream.

It’s easy finding loaners, they’re the ones caked in mud inside and out…..

I also had fun with the pin to drive geofence, but it’s the other way round for me where the SC “one time pin” is now permanently stuck on the car. I can’t login to my Tesla account in the car to clear it because it’s showing an American keyboard :D

It’s easy finding loaners, they’re the ones caked in mud inside and out…..

I also had fun with the pin to drive geofence, but it’s the other way round for me where the SC “one time pin” is now permanently stuck on the car. I can’t login to my Tesla account in the car to clear it because it’s showing an American keyboard :D
Oh God. With my luck, I'll have this to deal with too.

The loaner does seem to have had a tough life, judging by the rattles, squeaks and general looseness it exhibits.

when at the SC, I was still able to “start” the car via the app even though the pin to drive already changed.

slapsforehead emoji. I guess panic set in!

My god sounds terrible!! You'd think they could make a loaner show up in your app, then at least you could beep its horn or flash to find it!

Ikr? Or put a 5G / Tesla chip into each customer so that a beeping noise in the brain tells you when you're getting close.

Still waiting to get my car back, after droppping off on Tuesday. Dunno why the apparent worldwide rubber grommet shortage isn't gaining more attention in the MSM.

My M3 developed a leaky trunk so I booked it into the Glasgow SC. On leaving to go there, the car reported one tyre with slightly low pressure. I decided to keep going as the SC is only 5 miles away and I'd inflate the tyre at the other end, rather than on the road.

I pulled up around 200m from the SC because it's usually busy inside, and did the needful with the inflator. Got back in the car and entered PIN to Drive. Nope, wrong. A typo, I thought. Tried again. Nuhuh. Tried again, nope. Rebooted, thinking it was a sw glitch. Nope.

After some head scratching, i got onto the app and sent them a text asking for help - and thankfully got a prompt response . I'm sure many of you know about this but it's news to me - there's a Tesla geofence around the SCs now that detects the car, knows its coming for service rather than just passing by, AND CHANGES THE PIN TO DRIVE - so you can just drop the car off without a handover. As I said, news to me.

Drove in feeling sheepish, then couldn't find the key safe containing the card key for the loaner - got help from a Service Team member (it wasn't where the pre text msg said it would be). Then, i couldn't find the loaner. Got help from another Service Team member to find it (it wasn't where the pre-text msg said it would be).

Basically, I broke the touchless handover in every aspect. Felt very stupid too. Maybe I need to buy something from the 80s next time.

(Still got the loaner, not sure when my car will be ready - grommet shortage, apparently)

Thank you for reading my therapeutic primal scream.
I encountered same "problem" in Edinburgh after Christmas also with leaking boot and fix of some wiring cable they decided to do at same time.

When you go to pick it up, if its still parked within their "geofenced area" - you'll need to use your Tesla App to start the car (and bypass the pin)!!!

(I was also able to charge on the Superchargers at Edinburgh on Tesla's account as it didnt register me as having taken the car until after I had charged)

I’d expect the car only locks if it is scheduled for service.

Otherwise you couldn’t drive to the service centre to e.g. test drive the newest Tesla
Some SC have SuC on site (Leeds) I use Leeds a lot to charge and my car hasn’t once gone into geo fence mode when entering the site to charge. Apart from when i arrived at site for a booked service so you are correct that Tesla has thought about it😀

Well at the end of my appointment i was sent a one time pin, i presume to end the 'service' so i started the car with the app and moved it to the SuC. Charged from 25-95% and as of now my remaining free miles are unchanged and the supercharge doesn't even show in the charge stats of the app...result.

Reactions: Horatio Alger
Well at the end of my appointment i was sent a one time pin, i presume to end the 'service' so i started the car with the app and moved it to the SuC. Charged from 25-95% and as of now my remaining free miles are unchanged and the supercharge doesn't even show in the charge stats of the app...result.
Did the PIN automatically revert to your own PIN when you got home?
Last time I had a service the new PIN stuck and I had to go through "forgotten PIN" to put my own PIN back in.

Did the PIN automatically revert to your own PIN when you got home?

Did you receive instructions on PIN use before collection?

Clearly the answer to both these questions is supposed to be "yes". But IME it can be a bit hit and miss. Be prepared to have to use the "forgotten PIN" option (where you enter your Tesla account details to set a new PIN) if things don't go according to plan.