Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geo-located automatic suspension raising question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about the geo-located automatic suspension raising:

How far away from that location do you need to be before the suspension goes back down?

We have a steep/deep curb ramp at our office in a downtown setting. I've set the suspension to Very High to clear it and it remembers the settings for that general location. But I've noticed that the suspension goes down to "High" about a block away (probably because I exceed the Very High Speed Setting), but then stays there longer than I'd like, so I set it manually back to standard. This seems to cancel out the geo-location setting.

I'm probably being too impatient with it. But its downtown, and everyone looks at the car. I'd rather have it low and sleek rather than looking like its tip-toeing around gingerly stepping through mud puddles...

Question about the geo-located automatic suspension raising:

How far away from that location do you need to be before the suspension goes back down?

We have a steep/deep curb ramp at our office in a downtown setting. I've set the suspension to Very High to clear it and it remembers the settings for that general location. But I've noticed that the suspension goes down to "High" about a block away (probably because I exceed the Very High Speed Setting), but then stays there longer than I'd like, so I set it manually back to standard. This seems to cancel out the geo-location setting.

I'm probably being too impatient with it. But its downtown, and everyone looks at the car. I'd rather have it low and sleek rather than looking like its tip-toeing around gingerly stepping through mud puddles...

I've had a similar experience. I believe it's not a factor of how far from the location you are but rather once you've gone over a certain speed.

At 23, the car will lower from Very High -> High. At 35, the car will lower from High -> Standard. The car will go from Standard -> Low based on the speed you set in the Suspension settings.
24 and 36, respectively, I believe. At least in my car.

I just reread what I posted and CHG-ON has it right. As you exceed 23 and 35, the car lowers from VH -> High -> Standard.

I usually roll into my geofenced area (probably a 100 yard radius is my guess) at under 25mph or under for Very High. Above that speed, you'll get an error and it won't put it to the desired height.

- K

Unless they've changed it, I believe the speed you need to be at or under to avoid the error message when attempting to raise to very high is 22 MPH.

Edit: From the manual--Note:• To raise the suspension to High, you must be driving slower than 34 mph (55 km/h).To raise it to Very High, you must be driving slower than 22 mph (35 km/h). If you are driving faster than these speeds when returning to a saved location, the suspension does not raise until Model S slows down.

Unless they've changed it, I believe the speed you need to be at or under to avoid the error message when attempting to raise to very high is 22 MPH.

Edit: From the manual--Note:• To raise the suspension to High, you must be driving slower than 34 mph (55 km/h).To raise it to Very High, you must be driving slower than 22 mph (35 km/h). If you are driving faster than these speeds when returning to a saved location, the suspension does not raise until Model S slows down.

The part I dislike about the current firmware is if you have Very High programmed for a location and are traveling 27 mph, it does NOT raise to High -- it stays at Standard and complains that it's unable to get to the selected level due to speed. I really wish it would get as close as it could, so try High rather than staying in Standard.

The part I dislike about the current firmware is if you have Very High programmed for a location and are traveling 27 mph, it does NOT raise to High -- it stays at Standard and complains that it's unable to get to the selected level due to speed. I really wish it would get as close as it could, so try High rather than staying in Standard.

I can see understand why Tesla does it this way.

If you see the error message you can slow down, to make sure the car adjusts to the height you want it at.

If it just adjusted to the lower height, without the error message, you could wind up scraping the car if "high" is not high enough.

Of course Tesla could give the error message and still adjust the car to high, but then the error message would have to be different, etc., etc. Unless Tesla was going to do a complete change, providing a new error message while adjusting to high instead of very high, I think I'm happier with the current set up than with no error message and a partial adjustment.

Of course Tesla could give the error message and still adjust the car to high, but then the error message would have to be different.

I disagree. The error could be exactly the same "Selected Level unavailable due to speed", but it still gets closer. This would buy us time to slow down. The scenario I run into is a set of rough train tracks on my way to work. The speed limit is 45, but I need VH is I hit a certain spot, H otherwise. When I'm coming down, I have to slow down a good ways back so the car has several seconds to raise up. When I didn't slow down enough, I've had to basically come to a complete stop so the car has enough time to raise up. Twice traffic didn't allow that and I scraped. High would have given me a better chance.

I agree that the message should still show up as a warning for you to slow down. It's just that 2 seconds makes a big difference in traffic.

It also doesn't help that in my 4Runner, I can cross over these tracks at speed without issue, so years of this user behavior has to be overcome.

I disagree. The error could be exactly the same "Selected Level unavailable due to speed", but it still gets closer. This would buy us time to slow down. The scenario I run into is a set of rough train tracks on my way to work. The speed limit is 45, but I need VH is I hit a certain spot, H otherwise. When I'm coming down, I have to slow down a good ways back so the car has several seconds to raise up. When I didn't slow down enough, I've had to basically come to a complete stop so the car has enough time to raise up. Twice traffic didn't allow that and I scraped. High would have given me a better chance.

I agree that the message should still show up as a warning for you to slow down. It's just that 2 seconds makes a big difference in traffic.

It also doesn't help that in my 4Runner, I can cross over these tracks at speed without issue, so years of this user behavior has to be overcome.

Fair enough. I see your point, and you've convinced me.

Now just convince Tesla!