TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Geo-located automatic suspension raising question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by StaceyS, Sep 11, 2015.

1. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

Question about the geo-located automatic suspension raising:

How far away from that location do you need to be before the suspension goes back down?

We have a steep/deep curb ramp at our office in a downtown setting. I've set the suspension to Very High to clear it and it remembers the settings for that general location. But I've noticed that the suspension goes down to "High" about a block away (probably because I exceed the Very High Speed Setting), but then stays there longer than I'd like, so I set it manually back to standard. This seems to cancel out the geo-location setting.

I'm probably being too impatient with it. But its downtown, and everyone looks at the car. I'd rather have it low and sleek rather than looking like its tip-toeing around gingerly stepping through mud puddles...

2. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I've had a similar experience. I believe it's not a factor of how far from the location you are but rather once you've gone over a certain speed.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

once you exceed about 10 MPH it will drop to 'high', once you exceed 20 it drops to 'normal'.

Those are the about MPHs...

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Those were the original speeds but it's higher now. 20 an 30 or maybe 35.

5. richrootes

richrootes Member

It would be nice if you could set a 'return to normal' location or distance

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

At 23, the car will lower from Very High -> High. At 35, the car will lower from High -> Standard. The car will go from Standard -> Low based on the speed you set in the Suspension settings.

7. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Thanks for posting that Stacey. I've been wondering the same thing ever since I got the car in April and kept forgetting to post about it. But now I know the answer. :)

8. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I usually roll into my geofenced area (probably a 100 yard radius is my guess) at under 25mph or under for Very High. Above that speed, you'll get an error and it won't put it to the desired height.

- K

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

24 and 36, respectively, I believe. At least in my car.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I just reread what I posted and CHG-ON has it right. As you exceed 23 and 35, the car lowers from VH -> High -> Standard.

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Unless they've changed it, I believe the speed you need to be at or under to avoid the error message when attempting to raise to very high is 22 MPH.

Edit: From the manual--Note:• To raise the suspension to High, you must be driving slower than 34 mph (55 km/h).To raise it to Very High, you must be driving slower than 22 mph (35 km/h). If you are driving faster than these speeds when returning to a saved location, the suspension does not raise until Model S slows down.

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

The part I dislike about the current firmware is if you have Very High programmed for a location and are traveling 27 mph, it does NOT raise to High -- it stays at Standard and complains that it's unable to get to the selected level due to speed. I really wish it would get as close as it could, so try High rather than staying in Standard.

13. Andyw2100

I can see understand why Tesla does it this way.

If you see the error message you can slow down, to make sure the car adjusts to the height you want it at.

If it just adjusted to the lower height, without the error message, you could wind up scraping the car if "high" is not high enough.

Of course Tesla could give the error message and still adjust the car to high, but then the error message would have to be different, etc., etc. Unless Tesla was going to do a complete change, providing a new error message while adjusting to high instead of very high, I think I'm happier with the current set up than with no error message and a partial adjustment.

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I disagree. The error could be exactly the same "Selected Level unavailable due to speed", but it still gets closer. This would buy us time to slow down. The scenario I run into is a set of rough train tracks on my way to work. The speed limit is 45, but I need VH is I hit a certain spot, H otherwise. When I'm coming down, I have to slow down a good ways back so the car has several seconds to raise up. When I didn't slow down enough, I've had to basically come to a complete stop so the car has enough time to raise up. Twice traffic didn't allow that and I scraped. High would have given me a better chance.

I agree that the message should still show up as a warning for you to slow down. It's just that 2 seconds makes a big difference in traffic.

It also doesn't help that in my 4Runner, I can cross over these tracks at speed without issue, so years of this user behavior has to be overcome.

15. Andyw2100

Fair enough. I see your point, and you've convinced me.

Now just convince Tesla!

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Even if we convince them, it is likely very far down the list of priorities! A pipe dream at this point - but totally something that can be tweaked in the software. :)