Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geofencing walk away locking and handle retraction....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I'd love to have a never-lock-when-I'm-home feature that keeps auto locking from working when you're in your garage(and yes the GPS is way more than accurate enough to determine this) and to not retract the handles. That way they won't be opening and closing every time you go into the garage.

...and yes I've asked Tesla for this feature several times. I must go through an extra 150 to 200 door extension/retraction cycles a month due to me walking in and out of my garage.

The GPS is never more than 2 feet off even in my garage as the MS will use dead reckoning when it losses GPS to estimate where you are based on how far you've traveled and what you're steering angle was. Very accurate for short distances up to several hundred feet after losing GPS signal but must garages aren't that long anyways :p
Screenshot_2017-02-02-17-59-42-X2.png

FYI: even with auto lock off, the handles still retract. I have the auto lock turned off, so my car never locks in my garage, and my handles still retract.

Auto present is actually the feature behavior you are referring to. And yes, leaving the key in the house will fix it.

There are a number of functions that could be geo-fenced, with options.

In addition to the "always unlocked", I'd like to see the following:

--settings involving the mirrors. In my case I'd like them to fold before I pull into my garage, and then stay folded until I have pulled out of the garage. Others may have different settings they'd like to use, so this would have to be user-definable.

--settings involving the headlights. My garage is, apparently, dark enough that even with the garage-door opener light on, the Tesla believes it needs to turn on the headlights for the last five seconds of my drive once I have entered the garage. I'd prefer to geo-fence them off, or at least geo-fence a 15-second delay that would prevent them from turning on for 15 seconds within the geo-fence. Obviously if the car is put in park (before the 15 seconds have elapsed) the lights should not come on

I doubt Tesla will provide these options, but it would certainly be great if they did!

FYI: even with auto lock off, the handles still retract. I have the auto lock turned off, so my car never locks in my garage, and my handles still retract.

Auto present is actually the feature behavior you are referring to. And yes, leaving the key in the house will fix it.

I'd really just like the handles to stay out for 2 and sometimes 3 days that I'm parked in garage. I'll come out and get into the car several times often more. It would be cool if the handles didn't have to extend and then retract each time I need to get in the car.

Reactions: gt2690b
Yes I would like this feature. The interconnecting door back into the house locks automatically. (Handle on outside permanently locked for security). So, I need to have my key on me whoever I step outside to work in the garden etc. have to pass the car. Geofencing would save auto presenting. If appropriately programmed with options.
However, they are more concerned to program Easter eggs and the like than something desirable and useful!! Childish CEO!