Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geoff Ralston on the electric car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Diesel sales will continue strong for vehicles that need to do real work. In US all new gas/convenience stores include as many diesel pumps as gas; not the case 10 years ago. The semi is on a fast rising curve due to its flexibility vs railroads and will dominate transport indefinitely. I hope Tesla is working on a battery powered Kenworth.
--
I think Ralston was talking about cars, not trucks. Although there are people working on electric trucks (initially for short range applications).

- - - Updated - - -

I often go through a gas station because it is convenient and on my way home. I live past the suburbs and am considered rural. I'll go through the Tim's drive through or pick up milk. The grocery store would be further away and not on my way home. I don't go to the pumps though :biggrin:
TFA makes the point that gas stations are only marginally profitable and that they make most of their profit from selling food, etc. inside the "convenience mart".

TFA makes the point that gas stations are only marginally profitable and that they make most of their profit from selling food, etc. inside the "convenience mart".

This is very true. Even years ago when I was in college, I worked summers at a marina in a popular lake district and recall the owner saying he wished he didn't have to sell gas because there was no money in it. But that is what drew customers in to the little convenience/grocery store that was co-located there.

This is why I don't think there is a conflict in locating Superchargers at gas stations. People will spend even longer in the convenience store. It might even be advantageous to add little cafes to the convenience store if/when gas station Superchargers become more prevalent.