Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

George Blankenship Retires from Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors Inc.'s TSLA +0.82% top sales executive, George Blankenship, has left the company, according to media reports. Blankenship spearheaded the electric car company's retail operations, including its push toward mall-based showrooms that skirted the traditional auto dealership model. Blankenship, 60, confirmed in an email to the San Jose Mercury News that he had retired to spend more time with his family. The company has not yet announced his resignation, which apparently took place several weeks ago. Blankenship came to Tesla in 2010 from Apple Inc. AAPL +1.19% , where he was the chief strategist behind Apple's retail stores. The reports did little to budge Tesla shares, which were last up 0.1% at $121.29.

This has been posted at least 2 other times.

Ever since George looked after my wife and me at the first "Get Amped!" event at Fremont after being rear-ended by another MS, I've held a soft spot for him. Though he didn't agree to let me drive away the slightly damaged car, gratis. Oh well.

I suspect the demands of setting up the foreign markets contributed to the retirement decision. No fun spending half your life in an airplane only to arrive somewhere that has food with unknown ingredients in it. Don't blame him for a minute.

Enjoy! I retired early after my partner died suddenly and haven't regretted a day of it. Especially those with Tess!

...Bill

I feel that George Blankenship has laid down a lot of effort, and has been a great contributor to Tesla's success. I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet George at the event in Norway this year, and was impressed about his ability to respond at the moment.
To George: Thank you! I really hope you enjoy your retirement :smile:

Last edited:
I think GeorgeB created fantastic stores for Tesla, and I'm very grateful for all that he has done for the company. When I visited a Tesla store, the place was like a tourist attraction and all kinds of people were posing for photos with Model S.

Thanks George, and enjoy your retirement!

Yes, George will definitely be missed.

IMG_0251.JPG

I would respectfully suggest that those who have downplayed George's contributions or stated that he probably needed to go really don't have a good handle on his dedication and contributions to Tesla. His passion and contributions for us as owners were also huge. I've met him twice and interacted with him on a few other occasions and always had huge respect for him. I've also had some interactions with Jerome and I honestly don't get the same feeling of commitment to us as owners. I'm getting pretty troubled by what feels like a shifting culture at Tesla that is away from owner passion and commitment that has had many of us early adopters so passionately defending the company at very turn. I attend lots of car shows and have spent a lot of time and money on educational props to show people what a great car we have. All I ask for in return is for Elon to support us back by being straightforward, honest and to honor commitments that have been made to us over time. We have a long memory. I sadly today began selling off some of my stock that I swore I would hold for a very long time.

Not to sound cold but maybe this is for the best. What value has he added in the last 6-12 months? Elon is a businessman and we know he does not string along expensive executives who are no longer a good fit with the firm.

Elon is a brilliant engineer and entrepreneur and he knows how to assemble a winning executive team. He knew that George would contribute significantly to the success of Tesla as George did in his previous assignments with other successful companies. George is a genius in what he does and he continues to possess both the technical and the personality talents that are essential to the continued success of Tesla. I'm sure Elon knows that and would never have been so short-sighted as to deliberately push George out.

However, in one area I agree with you. This is all for the best...for George, not Tesla.

Larry

I tip my hat to George. We kept him up until the wee hours and took him away from his friends and family over weekends and holidays, I am certain about that. He held our hands and comforted us in a virtual way while we were waiting for the unknown. What he accomplished and pulled together in such a short period of time makes my mind reel.

My car was delivered a year ago today. It was the day before Thanksgiving weekend. The Tesla team was finding their feet and falling over themselves to get systems in place, cars in hands and Tesla grins on faces. George, I apologize for whining, but I wanted my car so badly! Now I know it was worth the wait and all would be made right. Thank you for that.