TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

George Hotz's ‘comma one’ cancelled

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by JeffK, Oct 28, 2016.

1. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Amusing. Hotz loudly proclaimed that he could easily make a better autonomous driving system than Tesla, never demonstrated such a system to prove it was better, and probably had little to no understanding of the regulatory environment he would have to deal with when he offered such a system for sale.

• Like x 1
  3. wedge07

wedge07 Supporting Member

• Like x 2
  4. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

The comma.ai system seems to be very competitive, possibly better than autopilot.

5. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Classic Model S does not have radar or electric pedals, so you have to replace the whole 9 yards to make it a True autopilot. Then you might just as well sell the old Tesla and buy a new one with proper AP.

6. Olds442

Olds442 Member

then why did it work?

7. wedge07

It was just “Autosteer,” not all of the Autopilot functions. Adaptive cruise control, for instance, does not work. Yet.

• Like x 1
  8. Olds442

Olds442 Member

I don't know which function I'd rather have more, steering or adaptive cruise. I think I would rarely use steering but would often use adaptive cruise.

• Like x 1
  9. wedge07

I had a chance to drive a fully enabled AP2 100D Loaner () for a couple of weeks. If I had a choice of only one feature it would DEFINITELY be adaptive cruise control.

• Like x 1
  10. daktari

daktari Member

Radar based adaptive cruise must be considered "off the shelf" these days, with several suppliers available?

• Like x 1
  11. kurdakov

kurdakov Member

it would be nice, if comma ai offered packaged solution ( like early Cruise Automation package ) with radar and cameras for any car. Maybe they will offer that in the future