TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GeorgeB interview in The Hub

Discussion in 'News' started by ModelS8794, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

I was curious what GeorgeB and Ron Johnson both did while at Apple and found this nice interview in The Hub magazine, which looks like a niche publication catering to retail brand and marketing folks. Very nice interview overall, and I enjoyed his closing remarks - those of you who attended the Motor Trend COTY unveiling will find them familiar.

Tesla retail chief George Blankenship re-imagines the car-buying experience

2. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

GeorgeB, you are the man.

3. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

Thanks for posting. Very cool!

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

cover-300.jpg When the history of Tesla is written George's bold contributions should be placed next to Elon's. JB's too. What a phenomenal team.

5. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

What version is he on, I've not seen this alternate-route-to-avoid-traffic-congestion feature. Or is he speaking figuratively?

6. Bipo

Bipo Member

I have an Android phone with Google Search service active and the own phone tells me information when I need it before I look for it, is amazing! I mean... I get to the street, take the phone out of the pocket to i.e. check the time and I can see a notification telling me how long would it take to get home. Awesome.

Another example: I search in my laptop something about, i.e. laundry service. Then I can see in the notifications bar of my phone how far is the nearest laundry in the town. It works really well.

7. Soflason

Soflason Member

Great interview, one of the best I've seen from George B. My all-time favorite (a bit old, but fantastic) was done by Gigaom and features a 20 minute Q&A video, if you haven't had a chance to check it out and want more enlightening George B. insights into his overall vision for the brand, it's a must-see:
    Stores aren Tech News and Analysis

8. blakegallagher

Great Article thanks for posting! Enjoyed Video as well.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

What a great read. Thanks to the Hub for the get and thanks to Mr. G. B. for sharing those insights.

10. strangethingintheland

I think Gilbert Passin is the unsung hero. Making the trains run on time. So many people thought ramping up to 400-500 cars/week with good gross margins would never happen, or at least not without numerous significant setbacks along the way. Sure there were some hiccups, but the ramp up was pretty remarkable, IMHO.

11. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

+1 on the thanks! Great article

12. Vger

Vger Active Member

I completely agree. I have been around a lot of tech in my life and business life, but when I walked into the Fremont factory last June, my jaw literally dropped. To have created that innovative and efficient factory from a grubby shell in less than two years is mind-bending to me. Like Mr. Blankenship says in the article, "everything we do is impossible."

It is really an amazing team. Elon has brilliantly assembled a group that complement and actualize his brilliant vision, and are motivated by his unwavering drive and stainless steel will.

I also think Franz is a somewhat unsung hero. The Model S is not just fast, roomy and efficient, it is truly lovely. It is beautiful in a subtle way. It does not scream at you (like a Fisker), it seduces you and invites you to make friends and come to rely on its stunning capabilities. The lines are all graceful and really not obvious. Your eye can study them a long time and still discover nuances unseen in the first, second, and third looks.

But coming back to George, his humanity, empathy, and ebullience complement all Elon's steel-trap precision and compressed communication. He understands his role perfectly, and he understands the golden rule of marketing-- treat customers like you will know them forever, and maybe you will!