Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia $5k credit ending 7/1/15, new $200 registration fee on EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Georgia House and Senate last night passed the Transportation Funding Act of 2015 (HB 170) which primarily raises the gas tax, but also eliminates the $5,000 tax credit for zero emission vehicles effective July 1, 2015. Additionally, there will be a new $200 annual registration fee for all vehicles fueled solely by electricity. There had been efforts to sunset the credit over the next few years, but once removing the credit got attached to the transportation bill, all efforts at a compromise were defeated. Georgia is currently the #2 state for electric vehicles, but will likely slip far from that position when the massive number of Nissan LEAF 2 year leases get returned.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/HB/170

Out of curiosity, was this a political response to the credit being available to "rich" Tesla owners or was it more fundamentally related to revenue shortfalls?
The $200 annual fee seems steep given that GA state gasoline tax is 26.5 cents. Assuming an average of 12,000 miles per year at 30 miles per gallon that's 400 gallons or $106 for other vehicles.

JohnQ, I think the big reason the tax credit was axed was really due to how cheap the Leaf could be had, especially under a 2 year lease. Some people were crowing about their free cars because the leases were not much more than $200 per month and the tax credit at $5,000 spread out over the 2 year lease period were almost equal. Of course the credit could be spread out over 5 years. Anyways, the politicians did not like seeing these free Leafs being paid for by the State. I guess the punitive $200 per year road tax was just another step in the State getting its money back.

What is the status of using peachpass and HOV lanes? I have grown accustomed to using the lanes and don't want to be pulled over.

No change to that. That perk managed to stay off the radar. Next year though ...

Actually the perk seems like it will now be limited to BEVs and vehicles fueled solely by natural gas and propane. It seems like all of the language regarding a requirement of 85% alternative fuel (i.e. E85 gasoline) is gone, and PHEVs like the Volt would be excluded now too. This would be a good thing for BEVs because it will get rid of the E85 capable SUVs that weren't actually using E85 from the HOV lanes.

I'll be curious to see how many of those Leaf drivers continue with an EV after the leases are up. If it's a significant fraction then the incentive will have done its job.

I think a good bit may want another EV, but given the extreme deal the leases were many just wanted a low TCO vehicle. Some may come back to EVs when they get to be more affordable and have more range.

I had leased a LEAF in 2013 and got the tax credit, will get the credit again with my purchase of a 2015 LEAF from a few days ago, and will go all electric when Model X arrives. Without the credit I probably wouldn't have discovered the benefits of EVs.

You should fight that tax as it now stands. Virginia tried to do the same thing to hybrids ($60 flat tax) and it, in no way was determined by how far you drive each year. We started an online petition and sent letters to the governor, who eventually repealed the tax and refunded the money. If they taxed based on a per mile basis (travelled within that state only, of course), then I could swallow paying a road tax for an EV.
I think a good bit may want another EV, but given the extreme deal the leases were many just wanted a low TCO vehicle. Some may come back to EVs when they get to be more affordable and have more range.

I had leased a LEAF in 2013 and got the tax credit, will get the credit again with my purchase of a 2015 LEAF from a few days ago, and will go all electric when Model X arrives. Without the credit I probably wouldn't have discovered the benefits of EVs.