Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geothermal or/and Dandelion Geo. NYer with a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hello my awesome forum friends,

Now that we've got a 3 in the garage and 11.8 solar system I find myself giving the dirty eye to the old oil burner in the basement.

I've setup a call with Dandelion Energy to talk options tomorrow. I believe at this point they are more North East based.

1. Does anyone have any experience with them?
2. Any rumors that Tesla will be coming out with geothermal anytime soon? I'm sure many of us are familiar with when Joe Rogan called out Elon Musk "I know you're making an air conditioning unit" and he was all "uhhh....hold my spliff...I can't talk about that" then went on to saw that yeah but basic like a Nest. If there's anything we all know is that Elon isn't basic. lol I love having my car and solar all on one app and I'd be willing to pay a small premium for Tesla Geothermal if and when that became a thing. Anyone?
3. Are there any advancements that might be around the corner giving a reason to wait?
4. Since NY finally signed a decent climate change bill recently do we know if there will be better incentives soon? I'm pretty sure, much like solar, geothermal goes down from the 30% rebate at the end of the year.

Anything else I need to know?

FWIW My house is ~3,500 sq feet with forced air, oil cooled, 3 zones, 3 air compressors outside one of which failed this summer and another that's super old. Two floors and attic, basement.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Hello my awesome forum friends,

Now that we've got a 3 in the garage and 11.8 solar system I find myself giving the dirty eye to the old oil burner in the basement.

I've setup a call with Dandelion Energy to talk options tomorrow. I believe at this point they are more North East based.

1. Does anyone have any experience with them?
2. Any rumors that Tesla will be coming out with geothermal anytime soon? I'm sure many of us are familiar with when Joe Rogan called out Elon Musk "I know you're making an air conditioning unit" and he was all "uhhh....hold my spliff...I can't talk about that" then went on to saw that yeah but basic like a Nest. If there's anything we all know is that Elon isn't basic. lol I love having my car and solar all on one app and I'd be willing to pay a small premium for Tesla Geothermal if and when that became a thing. Anyone?
3. Are there any advancements that might be around the corner giving a reason to wait?
4. Since NY finally signed a decent climate change bill recently do we know if there will be better incentives soon? I'm pretty sure, much like solar, geothermal goes down from the 30% rebate at the end of the year.

Anything else I need to know?

FWIW My house is ~3,500 sq feet with forced air, oil cooled, 3 zones, 3 air compressors outside one of which failed this summer and another that's super old. Two floors and attic, basement.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

There generally needs to be a lot of factors that line up for geothermal to make much sense. One of them is very cold (<0F) temperatures that are fairly common. I would say that if you experience <0F fewer than 5days/yr and your average nighttime low is >15F then an air source heat pump is going to make more economic sense. Air Source heat pumps have improved significantly in the last 5-10 years. COPs of >2 at 10F are not uncommon. While ground source could have a COP of up to 5 in those conditions because they're drawing from stored energy in the ground overall the increased efficiency doesn't justify the increased cost.