Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geothermal Power News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on math and physics anything that requires heat as an intermediate step almost certainly loses
Are you thinking of that failed Ivanhoe thermal facility near Primm that went bankrupt? A facility near me at the Geysers has been running for over 50 years. I do know it has had some maintenance issues. I also don't know the difference between primary and intermediate? In the case of the Geysers the heat comes out of the ground. In the case of Ivanhoe they created heat with mirrors and used molten sulfur as the intermediary transfer mechanism.

Are you thinking of that failed Ivanhoe thermal facility near Primm that went bankrupt?

I'm thinking of anything with 'thermal' in the name. Any type of thermal generation. Converting heat into electricity is expensive, inefficient and messy. There may be some existing thermal plants with capital costs that are covered and long-term contracts that will keep them afloat but it's physically impossible to compete with solar, wind and storage on cost. Economic success is not one of the possible outcomes.

I'm thinking of anything with 'thermal' in the name.
Years ago I took a tour of the Southern California Edison Big Creek hydro project. That is when I realized there were hot water guys and cold water guys and they did not usually leave their silos. I think the Ivanhoe failure was due to the myopic thinking of the hot water guys who advocated for that as a renewable energy project. The irony is that just beyond the Ivanhoe facility is a privately funded solar farm that just keeps putting out low cost energy as you mentioned.

Reactions: nwdiver
Location, location, location - every situation exists.
Pre-heat water with simple black water pipes and shower late in the day - might save you money.
Water tank in living space - waste heat just heats your home - might work well.

You simply need to consider each case, do the calculations as best you can and decide.

geothermal, heat pumps, solar PV or heat water or air, where to have and not have windows, insulation, how many pains
you get the idea - no silver bullets - you got to figure out for you situation - costs can vary a lot

The researchers have discovered that extracting lithium from geothermal brines is economically viable. With projections of 23 million to 43 million electric vehicles on the street by 2030, lithium extraction from geothermal could generate up to $258 million to $311 million. They found that this type of lithium extraction might also offset geothermal capital costs, making electrical generation from geothermal more cost competitive.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney

The researchers have discovered that extracting lithium from geothermal brines is economically viable. With projections of 23 million to 43 million electric vehicles on the street by 2030, lithium extraction from geothermal could generate up to $258 million to $311 million. They found that this type of lithium extraction might also offset geothermal capital costs, making electrical generation from geothermal more cost competitive.
Likely feeds off research on mining brines from desalination plants.

Reactions: mspohr