Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geothermal: Quaise Energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Been meaning to post this for a while now. Listened to a good podcast on the Interchange about Quaise Energy. The idea is that you dig a VERY deep hole and tap into extremely hot rock. Their method uses a megawatt power level millimeter wave technology to essentially burn through the rock. One of the biggest selling points is that the area of the Earth where this could be done is like 95% of the land surface. The amount of energy available is in the TW level, which the CEO claims cannot be done by any other method due to land requirements. A case presented was drilling by a current thermal power plant. Drill down deep enough, harness the steam, turn off the (cold, gas) burner, utility lines are in place, so it is a plug-and-play with existing infrastructure. It also leverages existing drilling crews/equipment that drill for oil now, so you aren't putting them all out of work.

Much technology development to go, but field trials are set for 2023 I believe. They can make it work with shallower holes, but the big payoff is getting down to I believe 20km. Seemed to make a lot of sense when I listened to it, couldn't think of any drawbacks or showstoppers assuming the technology works...

• Informative
Reactions: iPlug
Been meaning to post this for a while now. Listened to a good podcast on the Interchange about Quaise Energy. The idea is that you dig a VERY deep hole and tap into extremely hot rock. Their method uses a megawatt power level millimeter wave technology to essentially burn through the rock. One of the biggest selling points is that the area of the Earth where this could be done is like 95% of the land surface. The amount of energy available is in the TW level, which the CEO claims cannot be done by any other method due to land requirements. A case presented was drilling by a current thermal power plant. Drill down deep enough, harness the steam, turn off the (cold, gas) burner, utility lines are in place, so it is a plug-and-play with existing infrastructure. It also leverages existing drilling crews/equipment that drill for oil now, so you aren't putting them all out of work.

Much technology development to go, but field trials are set for 2023 I believe. They can make it work with shallower holes, but the big payoff is getting down to I believe 20km. Seemed to make a lot of sense when I listened to it, couldn't think of any drawbacks or showstoppers assuming the technology works...

The concern would be use of steam. It's challenging in itself, but also because of water use. Water supply is an issue, and heat pollution from water output is also an issue.

The trend is away from water-intensive generation.

One of the challenges to increase use of geothermal is to make it more closed loop so it can be put in any active location.

There is a closed-loop geothermal demonstration project in California:

• Informative
Reactions: Brovane and iPlug