Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German Magazine Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very positive -- close to glowing -- independent review from Hamburg (Darryl is keeping busy passing the keys).

ClassicInside - Der Classic Driver Newsletter

The Editorial at the top, the actual "FAHRBERICHT" (driving report) two slots down:

Vorsicht Stromschnelle! - Classic Driver - MAGAZIN - Fahrberichte

They picked a cute title too ... "Vorsicht Stromschnelle!" meaning "Caution -- Rapids!", but "Strom" also means "current" and "Schnelle" obviously means "fast" ... :smile:

So ... Finkenbusch ... what say you now ? And is this magazine's reputation any more to your liking ?

P.S.: I started translating ... with some assistance from babelfish to save time, and my own edits (crossout/underline) for correction; problem is, the corrections don't show here until I figure out how to transfer them from M$ :eek: Word ... anyone know how ?

P.P.S: Ok ... here's a few excerpts (after correcting babelfish)

Main opening (bold-faced) paragraph:
Beautifully, fast, current-flowed through: In California the Tesla Roadster is already celebrated as the first future carrier of hope and salvation of a dying automobile industry. Anyone who is anybody in Hollywood can at least demonstrate their place on the long waiting list for the electric sports car. But what remains if one fades out the hype? Can the still recent technology really convince? Where does the driving fun remain with so much reason? For the European start we spent one morning with the Tesla Roadster in Hamburg -– and did not want to get out again.

And a few detailed comments from the reviewer:
And indeed: While the large companies timidly reveal study after study, the Tesla Roadster went a few months ago in the USA into series production.

The feeling, which appears with the first hard footstep on the pedal without delay, reminds one little of Porsche, Lamborghini and Co.

Regardless how cramped the cockpit and how toothless the feedback of the brake assembly for European conditions - more fun at driving I did not have for a long time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the translation. :smile:

img06.jpg

You're welcome ... and I just noticed and corrected the third quote in the above by removing the sloppy words from babelfish (the M$ gremlins had not yet been exorcised from that one when I copied it into the post).

Is it on?

They too had an "is it on?" moment.

...schieben den Schlüssel ins Schloss, drehen die Zündung – und nichts passiert. Nein, falsch, nur der gewohnte Signalreiz, das bollernde Erwachen des Benzinverbrennungstraktes, bleibt aus. Stattdessen kündet ein leises Piepen von der hochfahrenden Batterie. Ansonsten: Stille!

...put the key in the lock, turned it - and nothing happened. No, not true, only the ordinary signal of the gasoline engine starting is missing. After that only a quiet beep of the high driving (high powered?) battery. Afterward, quiet!

There I go again. I have to re-read The Butterfly that Stamped!.

Yep, that's another of those cool moments they reported on ... thanks for pointing it out ... "hochfahrenden" actually refers to "starting up" ... the reference is to the ESS "coming up to speed" (cooling system, etc). And (not meaning to be too picky here) "Ansonsten" means "otherwise"; a subtle difference, but the reviewer had no time-element implied (afterwards).

Last edited:
No! Not the comfy chair!

Note the perils of showing off! I keep expecting fb (don't want to set off a keyword monitor) to step on me.

After all these years I don't parse the compound words very well.

Otherwise, quiet. That's much better.