TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

German Superchargers - will they impact TSLA price?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Chickenlittle, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

German super chargers on line. Look at map on teslamotors.com. Almost all of Germany now covered and part of France.

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Aren't you happy? I don't understand the title of this thread. :confused:

3. Chickenlittle

very happy. everybody gun shy here. impact can also be positive as raise the price. this is great.

4. LST

LST Senior Member

+1 Switzerland has 1 SC as well, others will follow. Great news.

5. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Germany needs a lot more SuperChargers to become covered, they have a very dense network of highways, like almost every part of West-Europe.

But yes, with enough SuperChargers more people will buy a Model S since they can drive it anywhere they want to!

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Ok now I understand. IMO it would be a mistake from Tesla to raise the price of the Model S because of the Supercharger network because people should be confidant that buying the Model S is convenient with respect to ICE cars. On the contrary I think that Tesla should raise the price for new options installed on the Model S like ACC, AWD and blind spot detection. Just my opinion.

7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

... Price of TSLA (not the car) :)

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Ok. Now I understand. :smile:

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Uhm, yeah. I renamed the thread. That was giving the opposite impression from what was intended.

10. Beckler

Beckler Member

Germans now officially live in automotive fantasy land: drive a Tesla, for free, as fast as you want. What's the easiest way to move to Germany? :)

11. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Wow, looks like I missed something! Where do I get the free Model S ;))?!

12. Chickenlittle

i sure hope all acted on this. would appreciate commision on winning options trades.

13. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

I know that you would like to believe that TSLA has gone up today because of a tweet (at 1:16 EST) about supercharger locations opening up in Germany, but this is not the reason why the stock is going up.

The stock started the rally a lot earlier in the day in-line with what the market (Nasdaq) has been doing. At the time of the tweet TSLA was already at $152.65, which is what it is trading at right now. So the superchargers had absolutely nothing to do with TSLA's price action today.

Opening up superchargers in Germany is not an event that will cause the stock to go up. You are misleading people with this thread that you created.

I repeat TSLA's stock chart is virtually identical to the Nasdaq today. The only reason why TSLA is up today has to do with the opening of the Chinese website today, which allows Chinese to order cars on-line now.

This thread is very misleading and quite dangerous. If you are going to place TSLA (options) bets based on supercharger openings then get ready to lose a lot of money.

14. Chickenlittle

actually i made a lot of money today by selling my calls bought on monday. so much for your predictions

i also saved a lot by not taking your advice (i hope nobody else did) by not buying stock at 184 about three weeks befoe the 3rd qtr report.

clean your crystal ball

15. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

A rude response from you, what a shocker...

I just wanted to point out to the TMC members that the German superchargers have nothing to do with TSLA's price movement today. We are here to help each other, so when I see people starting threads like this one and then following up with:

While completely ignoring that China is the reason for TSLA's rally today, I am going to point this out. No reason to be rude about it.

Congratulations on were winning options trades from yesterday, but just know that you got lucky with the China announcement and your gains had nothing to do with the German Superchargers.

I am not going to debate the accuracy of my predictions with you, but they have been pretty good lately. You can't get them all right, so please stop cherry picking one thing I said two months ago. Of course sentiment can change with the blink of an eye (based on news flow) and what I predicted yesterday might not hold true anymore today.

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm not smart enough to predict what other investors will find compelling news. You're being a little strong, though, saying that anyone was trying to mislead.

I'm not seeing that. At 11:30, both TSLA and the NASDAQ composite were down about 0.4%; NASDAQ is now flat to the open, while TSLA is up about 3.6%. I don't think TSLA has a beta of 10.

I'm always impressed when analysts know that one factor did move the market, while another didn't.

17. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

He pointed out twice (in this thread and in the short-term thread) that TSLA has picked up volume (and implied price) at the time that the German Supercharger announcement became official (via twitter at 1:16pm). This is not true, look at the chart! He completely omitted the China story in both instances. One false claim and two convenient omissions equals misleading in my book.

It followed the shape of Nasdaq, and 11:30 is about the time that more news outlets started posting their Tesla China story. This further supports that the China story could be the reason for the climb.

I already pointed to evidence that supports that the German Supercharger announcement is not the reason. The tweet came out at 1:16 EST and TSLA was at $152.65 at that time. The stock was still flat from that level about an hour later and is still flat right now. All of the price appreciation in TSLA came before the German Supercharger announcement. See I have done very simple research to come to a very straightforward conclussion. Impressed now?

2 convenient omissions + 1 false statement = misleading (in my book)!

I presented the evidence (twice already), so I am done with this topic.

18. Chickenlittle

so am i but the cnbc reported the chinese web site yesterday morning. i find it hard to believe it caused the rally today when the stock was barely positive yesterday hours after the announcement of the web site.

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

OK, now that we've all had our chance to be snippy at each other, why don't we put this one to bed.

20. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

#20 sleepyhead, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    The only reference to CNBC comes from an evening article:

Tesla's plan for China is set to take off

The media did not pick up on the China story until today, whereas you started this thread yesterday morning. Therefore one can argue that the exact opposite of what you are saying is true: market doesn't care about superchargers (it is pretty obvious that a few hundred thousand dollar investment isn't going to cause a $1 billion gain in market cap, especially since the German Superchargers were already announced last month and priced in). The market on the other hand does care about China, because a couple of months ago pundits were saying that Tesla will never be able to sell cars in China, because of patent troll, because they need JV with Chinese manufacturer, blah blah blah, etc. Now they "proved" that they can sell cars on-line.

The only reason I spend my time replying to these useless threads is to help other TMC'ers make wise investment/trading decisions in the future. This thread is misleading and not true at all. Opening a couple of superchargers is not an event that will materially impact TSLA the stock, especially since this was already announced last month and was a foregone conclusion. It was only a matter of time before the superchargers would actually open (no government opposition in Germany). The best evidence to this is that TSLA updated the map on the website (yesterday or the day before) and then issued a tweet about it today. If such events were material then Tesla would have to announce it in a different manner or risk getting sued and paying SEC fines.

Whereas China was speculated as a risk that Tesla would not be able to freely sell cars there for one reason or another. Today (yesterday evening via CNBC to be precise) Tesla proved that it will be able to sell cars on-line in China and that it is taking orders for Model X as well. This rightfully was a huge boost to TSLA.

I am sorry but when people are giving financial advice (such as OP with this thread) that is really bad, I am going to speak out and be blunt about it too. My only concern is that someone on TMC might believe what the OP has to say and possibly make bad investment decisions in the future. I am trying to set the record straight so that people here are able to spot catalysts in the future and make better investment decisions.

Anyone who thinks that today's TSLA positive stock move was due to a tweet (that came after TSLA already went up to $152.65) about German Superchargers, instead of the talk about China has no skill in reading financial markets and should not engage in speculative short-term event driven trading or give advice about short-term stock movements.

I am fairly confident that the chatter about China is what got investors excited today and sparked a rally in TSLA. But if it was not China, then the supercharger tweet (late in the afternoon) definitely had nothing to do with the rally, especially since the stock ended up lower than when it was when Tesla made the announcement.