Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany demands Model S owners pay back subsidy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barklikeadog

Jul 13, 2016
PA
Terms of Service Violation

Ouch

Hundreds of German Tesla Inc. Model S drivers have been ordered to pay back a 4,000 euro ($4,650) electric-vehicle subsidy after a government agency deemed their luxury cars too expensive to qualify for the program.

Some 800 drivers who bought their cars before March 6 and have received the so-called “environmental bonus” will have to return it, Germany’s Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control said Tuesday in a statement. The program was designed to boost sales of plug-in and battery vehicles. Another 250 Tesla owners that bought the Model S won’t receive payment, the office said.

That's a very efficient way to destroy thrust in government and any environmental incentives.

That is; if any trust remain, because the wide open German borders have for years destroyed that country from within, and the people must pay for the cost of it.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Notice that people in Germany today (after March) will get the incentive, only people who purchased before March 6 have to return it. This has to do with the fact that customers have not been able to order and actually receive a sub 60,000 Euro versions of Tesla before March 6th and the base price was the requirement for the incentive.

EU (cough Germany in particular) fear US technology companies and are very worried that Tesla will destroy the Continent’s key industry, autos.

They are attacking in a myriad of ways including this tactic, using German owned Business Insider to plant positive Porsche E Car articles, etc.

Sorry to tell them: Tesla is going to eat their lunch with VW, Mercedes and BMW all shrinking.

Terms of Service Violation

Ouch

Hundreds of German Tesla Inc. Model S drivers have been ordered to pay back a 4,000 euro ($4,650) electric-vehicle subsidy after a government agency deemed their luxury cars too expensive to qualify for the program.

Some 800 drivers who bought their cars before March 6 and have received the so-called “environmental bonus” will have to return it, Germany’s Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control said Tuesday in a statement. The program was designed to boost sales of plug-in and battery vehicles. Another 250 Tesla owners that bought the Model S won’t receive payment, the office said.
It'll be interesting to see of Porsche's Taycan will qualify... LOL!

EU (cough Germany in particular) fear US technology companies and are very worried that Tesla will destroy the Continent’s key industry, autos.

They are attacking in a myriad of ways including this tactic, using German owned Business Insider to plant positive Porsche E Car articles, etc.

Sorry to tell them: Tesla is going to eat their lunch with VW, Mercedes and BMW all shrinking.

I can't say I'm against this, though. Getting a tax break for buying a 100k luxury auto is kinda ridiculous.

It'll be interesting to see of Porsche's Taycan will qualify... LOL!
no it wont. The whole point here is that the incentive was only for cars with a base price of <60k. Tesla circumvented that by offering a <60 base car with a "mandatory" 13k tech pack....
Basically Tesla cheated here, big time. As big a bunch of suckers as our officials are, but in this case they are actually right for once.
The incentive is there to make EVs a bit more affordable for joe shmoe, not to save wealthy people some bucks......

The Model 3 will be fully eligible for the 4k bonus if it arrives in europe before it runs out.

no it wont. The whole point here is that the incentive was only for cars with a base price of <60k. Tesla circumvented that by offering a <60 base car with a "mandatory" 13k tech pack....
Basically Tesla cheated here, big time. As big a bunch of suckers as our officials are, but in this case they are actually right for once.
The incentive is there to make EVs a bit more affordable for joe shmoe, not to save wealthy people some bucks......

The Model 3 will be fully eligible for the 4k bonus if it arrives in europe before it runs out.
I just checked the German configurator. Even without the "Tech Package", the base price shows as Euro 69,019. How is this supposed to meet the <60k Euro limit? Is the limit calculated before the Mehrwehrtsteuer (VAT)?

The reasoning that the incentives given by countries and states is to make EV more affordable to the masses doesn't hold much water for me. You can buy a Nissan leaf for $30,000. I'd say that's pretty average for an automobile. So, you make the incentive only available to Joe Shmoe. He buys a vehicle with an LG Chem battery with a life span of 5 to 8 years. I buy a Tesla with a battery life of 20 to 30 years. I I don't get the incentive but, who has just benefited the environment far more? I can afford a far sturdier vehicle with a far longer life and usability but, I'm punished for it. Wealthy people weren't gifted their money from the sky as the jealous crowd would have you believe.

The incentives were meant to transition to clean air quicker but, politics and slimy politicians got in the way.

The reasoning that the incentives given by countries and states is to make EV more affordable to the masses doesn't hold much water for me. You can buy a Nissan leaf for $30,000. I'd say that's pretty average for an automobile. So, you make the incentive only available to Joe Shmoe. He buys a vehicle with an LG Chem battery with a life span of 5 to 8 years. I buy a Tesla with a battery life of 20 to 30 years. I I don't get the incentive but, who has just benefited the environment far more? I can afford a far sturdier vehicle with a far longer life and usability but, I'm punished for it. Wealthy people weren't gifted their money from the sky as the jealous crowd would have you believe.

The incentives were meant to transition to clean air quicker but, politics and slimy politicians got in the way.
Not sure how you can deem this to be punishment. Next time bed bath and beyond sends you a 20% one item coupon with exceptions, you march in there, slam it on the counter and demand answers.

Did nobody notice that Tesla will reimburse each of those owners in Germany to make them whole?

Credit where credit is due.

I have no problem whatsoever accepting a tax credit or any other subsidy for purchasing an EV. People tend to forget how much in taxes must be paid to *have* the funds to buy these cars, along with the steep depreciation curve and, depending upon their locality, tens of thousands of more (insert your currency here) in assorted taxes and fees over the duration of ownership. Any up front assistance is a token, a drop in the bucket. And Tesla owners are due every drop due to the disproportionate burden that they shoulder during the experience. These ain’t $32K-36K* cars (yet). Don’t like the subsidy? Fine - buy an ICE *twitch* and leave the rest of us alone.

* the average cost of a new car these days in the States.