Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany to subsidise EVs - but inherently exclude Tesla S & X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:

"The German plan is nearly tailor-made to stop Tesla. Besides the cap on the ticket price, the rushed timing and limited duration of the plan means it will be over before Tesla’s Model 3 is launched."

Oh well. I suspect that Tesla will do well in Germany without subsidies, especially so if they have expired for all automakers when the Model 3 is delivered.

GSP

The German plan is nearly tailor-made to stop Tesla.

Yes. Part of the explanation could be that the German auto manufacturers will cover half of the expenses for the subsidy. So one must assume they had some saying in the matter.

Still it is not obvious to me that this will be an advantage to protectionists. I mean if the program is scaled back before the Model 3 arrives in large numbers(*), then there also will be few German EVs to take advantage of the support. I believe the current eGolf has a 24 kWh battery. That will not get you far on the Autobahn, so is unlikely to attract many buyers.

But I still see it as a plus for Tesla. There is talk in Germany also of expanding the EV-charger infrastructure, which will all be good for the general EV-adoption. And per Elon Musk, this is good also for Tesla.

(*) As I have mentioned earlier, Tesla could maximize its benefit from the US tax rebate by exporting all but ca. 30k cars / year, until in 4 years they hit a production capacity of ca. 500k cars / year, and then selling everything in the US for one year. The German programme could provide additional reason for doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and PaulusdB
Doesn't seem to be anti-Tesla at all. It's just the usual Internet click-bait.

But the premium car makers will not benefit from the new sales incentives because cars with a net price tag of more than 60,000 euros are not eligible, Schaeuble said.

So Model 3 will be fine. (It's time limited to 2020)

I'm sure Tesla Germany will be promoting this.

Germany to launch 1 billion-euro discount scheme for electric car buyers

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Doesn't seem to be anti-Tesla at all. It's just the usual Internet click-bait.

But the premium car makers will not benefit from the new sales incentives because cars with a net price tag of more than 60,000 euros are not eligible, Schaeuble said.

So Model 3 will be fine. (It's time limited to 2020)

I'm sure Tesla Germany will be promoting this.

Germany to launch 1 billion-euro discount scheme for electric car buyers
This will also exclude most of the "Tesla killers" from Porsche and Audi and MB and ...

Let's see, the BMW i3 will qualify. The Opel Ampera-e (not sure if that will even be built in Germany?). Are there any other announced German BEVs that would qualify?

The accelerated production timetable for Model 3 will effect qualifying for this German credit as well as the US tax credit. The faster Tesla gets Model 3 into production, the larger it's share will be of these programs.