Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany will require all petrol stations to provide electric car charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where this news belongs, but "Energy, Environment and Policy" seems to be a reasonable place for it.

Reuters: Germany will require all petrol stations to provide electric car charging

I presume that Level 2 charging will suffice to meet the requirement, even though it is really slow, but it would get really interesting if DCFC was required. As most here know, Germany has the advantage of a single CCS2 charging standard that even Tesla has to support.

Not sure where this news belongs, but "Energy, Environment and Policy" seems to be a reasonable place for it.

Reuters: Germany will require all petrol stations to provide electric car charging

I presume that Level 2 charging will suffice to meet the requirement, even though it is really slow, but it would get really interesting if DCFC was required. As most here know, Germany has the advantage of a single CCS2 charging standard that even Tesla has to support.

I very much doubt they'd allow Level 2 to count. This is Germany we're talking about, not the USA.

Note that the plan isn't new. It's the money that's new.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Since gas stations make more money selling convenience items than selling gas I foresee service stations adding electric charging so they can sell stuff to owners of electric cars. In fact it has already started and will increase with the number of electric cars.

Since gas stations make more money selling convenience items than selling gas I foresee service stations adding electric charging so they can sell stuff to owners of electric cars. In fact it has already started and will increase with the number of electric cars.
In the USA and Canada the three different DCFC standards make it a more difficult problem for gas station owners.

I do wish that Tesla would release a CCS adapter, since it appears that will eventually become the dominant DCFC choice.

In the USA and Canada the three different DCFC standards make it a more difficult problem for gas station owners.

I do wish that Tesla would release a CCS adapter, since it appears that will eventually become the dominant DCFC choice.

It's really only a Tesla v CCS/CHAdeMO problem, and maybe not even that. Just as gas pumps can have multiple handles that get fuel from 2 or 3 different fuel tanks, there are plenty of chargers with 2 or 3 different plugs. There are many chargers in Europe with 22kW (or even 44kW) AC, CCS and CHAdeMO.

EVGo already has one or more chargers in San Francisco that can charge Teslas via building in the CHAdeMO adapter.

BEVs being too expensive is the problem, not the charging. Make BEVs cheap, they'll sell in large numbers, the market would support many more chargers and that would give the coverage and density that people need.

I'm not sure why the German Government thinks they need to legislate this. The market will drive it - if you have a bank of fast DC chargers in a spot where there are conveniences vs nothing, people will want to charge there and they are captive customers. There are exceptions, but this what is happening where I travel in the US. A bank of superchargers means steady business so let it roll naturally.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I'm not sure why the German Government thinks they need to legislate this. The market will drive it - if you have a bank of fast DC chargers in a spot where there are conveniences vs nothing, people will want to charge there and they are captive customers. There are exceptions, but this what is happening where I travel in the US. A bank of superchargers means steady business so let it roll naturally.
I presume that they are legislating this and subsidizing EVs to speed up the transition and to stimulate the economy.

While I hope that you are right about the installation of DCFC occurring by market forces, it is not happening where I live and travel. DCFC is so expensive to install and maintain that I think it will be a long time before even half of gas stations offer it. We shall see.

Kind of a "chicken and egg" question. Will the average car buyer choose an EV, with somewhat limited range and relatively slow refueling (compared to the familiar ICE car) without an extensive DCFC infrastructure? Will the DCFC infrastructure be built without an extensive fleet of EVs to use it? A complicating factor is that most EV charging will be at home, not at DCFC stations, which affects the business model.

In my case, I didn't buy my Tesla, and get rid of my ICE backup car, until the 1100 mile route to Portland OR was filled in with Supercharger Stations (Twin Falls ID was the last), a trip I make frequently. However, I am an early adopter and have been driving an EV since 2011, so I'm not an average car buyer.

Last edited:
  • Informative