Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Is this controlling your home charger? Or are they somehow communication directly with the car to tell it to stop charging? I don't see anything about requiring a connected charger, so I'm assuming the latter? Do you have to give National Grid your Tesla account info? (don't like the sound of that) or do they do it directly through Tesla somehow?

Reactions: jlv1
No, as far as I can tell, there is no way right now for NG to control the Tesla charging, because I gave them no car-specific info. At home I use the mobile charger plugged into a 240V outlet. AFAIK it's free money. If they ask for that info I'll provide it, because I have no need to charge at peak hours.

I read the faq on the website and it says "Communication with your vehicle will be done through its onboard telematics system, which uses a cellular signal. So, you don’t need to connect to Wi-Fi."
So I guess it tells the car to stop charging. I wonder how they are gaining access if you didn't have to give them any car specific info.

Reactions: kayak1
I had to download and install the Charge Smart MA app and I did have to use a one-time sign in for them to gain access to my charging. When I open the app it shows current connectivity, history of charging (at home and away from home), and rebates earned.

No, as far as I can tell, there is no way right now for NG to control the Tesla charging, because I gave them no car-specific info. At home I use the mobile charger plugged into a 240V outlet. AFAIK it's free money. If they ask for that info I'll provide it, because I have no need to charge at peak hours.
The sign-up only asks for my address and email address. I suppose they could cross-reference the email address to my Tesla account. Once they do that, they *can* tell my car to stop charging if it is geolocated at home and charging. After all, my Powerwall has the same ability to do that - if I lose the grid connection and it switches to pulling electricity from the Powerwall batteries, it will let my car continue to charge until the Powerwall battery is drained to a level I set, and at that point it will tell my car to stop charging via the Tesla API - it talks to the car, not the EVSE.