Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Chicago, 7/26 - 7/28

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question - did the Chicago Amp tour drivers receive a second confirmation email after registering for the test drive? I have the Congrats confirmation from the site when I registered, but never received anything more about the event. Yes, I am paranoid.

i got an email which had the following text. I took that with me and that was it. When i got there they did not even look at it just asked my last name and they had me in their system.

Your Model S test drive is confirmed. Please bring this email with you, and forward to your passengers if you do not plan to arrive as a group. We recommend arriving 30 minutes early to begin the check-in process

MK;
"While the fit and finish inside was not as tight as my 7 series BMW, I did not except [expect] that to be anyway."
Very interesting comment. Many have excoriated TM for slackness in that area, and Elon calls those problems aggravating to his perfectionist tendencies.

I think he meant that it wasn't expected because the test drive cars were rushed and partially hand-assembled.

Ok guys! I just got back from Chicago to Greenville, SC after being AMPed up! I drove the black performance Model S since I am ordering the performance version. In short, it was awesome! Now this comes froma guy who has blessed with nice cars during his first fifty years. My V10 M6 BMW would go 0-60 in 3.6 and was the closest thing to a rocket I ever drove until today. On the frontage road, my guide asked me to stop and open it up on a 0-60 run. While unofficial, we timed it at 4,2 which makes me feel solid about the 4.4 claims by Tesla. The constant torque of the electric motor will bring a smile to the most die hard ICE guy! While the fit and finish inside was not as tight as my 7 series BMW, I did not except that to be anyway. After all BMW has been making top quality cars for a long time, but what I will tell you guys, I was so impressed with the quality of the Model S, handling, acceleration, braking, and overall performance, my wife and I are definitely buying the Model S and placing a Model X order for her and getting rid of all of our fancy ICE's!

Now colors are like food, a personal taste; however, all four of my favorites were there (grey, silver, black, and blue). While I liked them all, my wife was blown away by how good looking the grey color was. I have read a lot of flack about the grey in some of the forums, but it is really beautiful in person.

In short, Tesla has a winner on their hands, and I hope everyone in Chicago has as much fun as I did!

Getting AMPed down south,

Mark

C

My impression is that ALL of the colors have gotten flack.. and been loved. It really is a matter of personal taste :)

I also test drove the black performance model, and had the same reaction... its AWESOME! I can't believe how quiet it is, amazing. Nothing to add about the interior since I was only focused on the drive.

I wasn't sure about the grey color until I saw it in person. I think that's the winning color for us, with matching grey performance wheels.

Don't have them together in the same picture, but do have them in the same position and light. These pictures are color corrected using an 18% grey card, so if you have a calibrated monitor, they should be pretty close to actual colors.

Blue
photo 2.JPG

Grey
photo 1.JPG

I've enjoyed reading other folks test drive feedback, so I guess that it is only fair that I post my quick thoughts as well...

A Driver's Car
I drove the grey (performance and pano with grey performance wheels) on Saturday afternoon and can happily report that the Model S is as enjoyable to drive as everyone has reported. Instead of treating it as a test drive where I was looking for any problems/issues, I tried to treat it more like a normal, afternoon drive in my new car (albeit with fairly aggressive driving). Bottom line: it is a very fun car to drive. I must admit, given all the previous test drive comments on the strength of regen, turn signal lever location, and rear view visibility/back window distortion, I thought that these issues might strongly announce themselves during the normal course of the test drive; however, none of these items were forced to enter my mind or became a focus during the test drive.

Regen
Having never driven a car with regen, I was so surprised that this didn't seem to be a big adjustment for me. In fact, about 3/4 of the way through the drive when I finally thought of it, I made my co-plot prove to me that it was in standard regen mode (which it was). Needless to say, it's a non-issue for me.

Turn Signal Location
I have also never driven a Mercedes, so I am not accustomed to the MB location of the various stalk controls. Fortunately, I normally drive in the 3-9 or even 4-8 hand position, so this seemed like a somewhat easy transition. It felt no different than getting into a rental car; it just takes a little while to figure out the control arrangement, but muscle memory develops quickly.

The Value of Friends
I brought two friends of mine with me on the test drive. Over time, I have discussed the high-level benefits and possible downsides of the Model S with them, but I have never discussed the nitty-gritty details that we all discuss on TMC (as well as TM). This was very beneficial because I got to see what Telsa outsiders do or don't notice and comment on. Also, these friends are the type that speak their mind, so I knew there would be no sugar-coating.

Rear Seat Headroom (Pano Roof)
First off, one of my friends is 6' 3", and I wanted to see if he mentioned anything about the rear seat headroom with the pano roof. I would guess that he has a pretty normal torso-to-leg ratio, and he didn't mention a thing. I finally asked him how the headroom was, and he said fine... nothing out of the ordinary. He said that he didn't need to slouch at all. I looked back, and his short hair was definitely touching the roof (but his head was not touching). The one thing he did comment on was that the floor seemed a bit higher than usual, so his knees were higher as well, but he didn't think it was a problem (just different).

Sound System
The other focus of both friends was the sound system. Again, I never said anything to either one about the sound system discussions on the forums, and I wouldn't consider either one an audiophile, but they both thought that the sound system was lacking. We did make the co-pilot switch to radio (which was in and out of HD), and we also adjusted the bass/mid/treble sliders, but their impression was that it still sounded weak and I somewhat agree. I didn't ask and have no idea if we had the premium sound system.

My Conclusion
If you are buying this car for driving enjoyment, this is a phenomenal car, and you will not be disappointed (in fact you will be giddy). If you are buying this car from an environmental perspective, it is the only large EV sedan you should consider, and you will not be disappointed. If you are buying this car as a mid-level "luxury" car, check it out and see, you may or may not like it (a BMW, Audi, or MB may be more to your liking, or you can always wait and see what Model S v2 offers). As far as colors, I have seen most (except green and brown) and I think they are all well done and look sharp (I'm not sure you could make this car look bad), but it is definitely a personal choice, so please don't pay attention to the color discussions on the forums, you really need to see for yourself.

Great review. Thanks. I must have missed the car with the performance wheels on Thursday. I was there for hours and didn't see it. How did they look in person?
Awesome you brought the grey card as well by the way.

Great review. Thanks. I must have missed the car with the performance wheels on Thursday. I was there for hours and didn't see it. How did they look in person?
Awesome you brought the grey card as well by the way.

I don't have any pictures but me and my girlfriend remember the gray having the non perf wheels while we were there. I'm guessing they put them after we were there.

dsm363: With a quick disclaimer that the performance wheels wouldn't be my preference if I was getting a performance Model S, I actually thought they looked pretty sharp with the grey paint.

Someone mentioned it before, but I think all the chrome accents on the car somehow make the grey wheels look slightly out of place (the car somewhat screams for chrome wheels to match). However, as with my ending paint color sentence above, this is completely a personal preference, and I would think you would want to see the grey wheels for yourself on a car before deciding (if possible).

dsm363: With a quick disclaimer that the performance wheels wouldn't be my preference if I was getting a performance Model S, I actually thought they looked pretty sharp with the grey paint.

Someone mentioned it before, but I think all the chrome accents on the car somehow make the grey wheels look slightly out of place (the car somewhat screams for chrome wheels to match). However, as with my ending paint color sentence above, this is completely a personal preference, and I would think you would want to see the grey wheels for yourself on a car before deciding (if possible).

Yeah, I went back and forth on this for the exact same reasoning. I thought for sure they'd be there at the Chicago event for me to see them but I had to lock my order down even before Chicago so went from Performance to silver and back to performance wheels before I locked the order down. Oh well. I think they'll look ok on the Signature Red and I may try and hide some of the chrome either with carbon fiber or there is some kind of carbon fiber wrap which I'm told looks ok.

I don't have any pictures but me and my girlfriend remember the gray having the non perf wheels while we were there. I'm guessing they put them after we were there.

I drove one of the performance models and none of the other cars I saw had them so that must have happened.

Yeah, I went back and forth on this for the exact same reasoning. I thought for sure they'd be there at the Chicago event for me to see them but I had to lock my order down even before Chicago so went from Performance to silver and back to performance wheels before I locked the order down. Oh well. I think they'll look ok on the Signature Red and I may try and hide some of the chrome either with carbon fiber or there is some kind of carbon fiber wrap which I'm told looks ok.
Request for someone with mock-up skillz ...

I'd like to see how the hood and trunk "T" would look in CF.

Edit: Also the trunk "crossbar".