Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Miami, FL (Dania Beach), 7/27 - 7/29

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I've been looking at all the options with Marriott, I'm a snob too, especially when it's on my own dime :). Nothing grabs me. Further south, the Turnberry Isle looks interesting (I'm not too bothered about being on top of Dania). If you want to be disappointed by a Renaissance, try the one at Heathrow, it's dreadful, and nearly always priced lower than the Marriotts nearby.

As a local, I can't give reviews on all of the hotels nearby. I actually stayed at Turnberry last year for a work meeting. The room are a little tired and could use updating, but the facilities are first rate. It has (in my opinion) easily the two nicest gold courses in the area accessible to the public. There's a beach club (via a 5 minute shuttle), lazy river ride, beautiful pools, nice spa, great steakhouse etc. , and you can walk across the street to Aventura Mall (a big mall with movie theaters, Nordstrom, Bloomie's etc). I think the W on Fort Lauderdale beach is probably the only other really upscale hotel that's not too far from the Dania store. There's a brand new St. Regis in Bal Harbour that's probably about 20 minutes or so from Dania, and that's really nice -- I had dinner there a few weeks ago and it was terrific. Otherwise, you're either looking at South Beach or downtown Miami for really nice hotels, or a typical chain hotel near Dania.

There's also a Renaissance in Plantation, which is only about 10 minutes from Dania. They just remodeled it and it looks pretty nice, but you'll be in the middle of nowhere for any other "vacation" things you'd want to do.

We ended up booking the Hotel Beaux Arts (a Marriott property, at the top of the Marquis), which kind of defeats the objective of a 'quiet place with a beach', but whatever, we're hopeless at making hotel decisions!

Of course, now we just have to cross fingers for a test drive, otherwise like losers we might be bumming a ride in the back from one of you guys, if there's a couple of spare seats :-/ I didn't get an invite for any of the events this coming weekend, so I'm a bit worried...

Last edited:
We ended up booking the Hotel Beaux Arts (a Marriott property, at the top of the Marquis), which kind of defeats the objective of a 'quiet place with a beach', but whatever, we're hopeless at making hotel decisions!

Of course, now we just have to cross fingers for a test drive, otherwise like losers we might be bumming a ride in the back from one of you guys, if there's a couple of spare seats :-/ I didn't get an invite for any of the events this coming weekend, so I'm a bit worried...

You should be fine -- so many people have already had drives, and there shouldn't be too many reservation holders in Florida that everyone witha reservation should get a chance if they want to come to Dania for a test drive.

I can't guarantee space in my car because I have lots of local friends who are interested in rising along with me, but I'm sure you'll be able to latch on with someone, even if you also get to drive.

I think it's a good hotel choice. It's a good location -- much easier to get to Dania from there than South Beach, and actually much quieter at night (especially at the top of the hotel!). You're only 5-10 minutes from South Beach, and have easy access to Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and other nice areas to visit. I highly recommend Zuma in the Epic hotel across the street from your hotel. Amazing Japanese fusion food -- the hard part will be getting a reservation. Il Gabbiano is also a two block walk, and is considered the best Italian restaurant around (and a magnet for celebrities, sports stars etc.). Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Interesting notes in the NY and DC test drive forums (fora?) regarding the cars there: "Regarding the Model S colors this weekend, I was told at the DC store a couple of days ago they would include Pearl White, Green, Silver, Sunset Red and Brown. They also told me two would be Performance."

So these cars will go from DC this weekend to NY the following weekend and then probably down to Florida after that. I'm already locked into my color (Sig Red), and am happy that 40% of the cars will be performance because I definitely want to drive a performance car. Curious to hear if anyone knows what the route of the test drive will be -- I expect it will be very similar to where they used to send people on test drives of the Roadster -- under 95 on Griffin Road to the service road for the airport. It's virtually deserted and provides good opportunity to maneuver the car without doing any real sharp turns.

Just booked my slot ... 10-11am on the 28th ... wahoo!

Congrats! I'm 12-1pm on the 28th.

For those wondering where their invites are, I had to reserve my test drive early because I don't get the mass e-mails from Tesla because of some glitch in their system. I've yet to get an invitation to any of the Get Amped Tour events. In fact, I haven't gotten a mass e-mail from Tesla since at least October, when I had to get special dispensation to go the test ride event in Fremont after not getting that invitation. Tesla has been very nice about it, but for whatever reason can't fix this problem with my e-mail (and it's not in my spam folder -- we've tried different e-mails and everything, and nothing works).

Thank goodness for these message boards -- otherwise I wouldn't have known to configure my car because I didn't get that e-mail either!

Also interesting to note on the latest blog update

Implying it's not at Dania?

Confirmation e-mail for my test drive says Tigertail Drive, which is the Dania store. I think George is using artistic license -- kind of like LeBron James taking his talents to "South Beach" even though the Heat actually play in downtown Miami.

Although it would probably be excellent publicity for Tesla to take an extra car or two and cruise around South Beach!

Confirmation e-mail for my test drive says Tigertail Drive, which is the Dania store. I think George is using artistic license -- kind of like LeBron James taking his talents to "South Beach" even though the Heat actually play in downtown Miami.

Although it would probably be excellent publicity for Tesla to take an extra car or two and cruise around South Beach!

Kinda like the Tesla Miami Store .... located in Dania, FL ... about 10 miles north of the Miami border (and I do mean BORDER).

Congrats! I'm 12-1pm on the 28th.

For those wondering where their invites are, I had to reserve my test drive early because I don't get the mass e-mails from Tesla because of some glitch in their system. I've yet to get an invitation to any of the Get Amped Tour events. In fact, I haven't gotten a mass e-mail from Tesla since at least October, when I had to get special dispensation to go the test ride event in Fremont after not getting that invitation. Tesla has been very nice about it, but for whatever reason can't fix this problem with my e-mail (and it's not in my spam folder -- we've tried different e-mails and everything, and nothing works).

Thank goodness for these message boards -- otherwise I wouldn't have known to configure my car because I didn't get that e-mail either!

didnt get my email either who do i call or email

Also interesting to note on the latest blog update

Implying it's not at Dania?

Hi Pete,

Here's the comment in context.

In Scottsdale we’ll also be opening our new Tesla Store at Fashion Square Mall, so stop by and say hi if you’re in the area. Next week we’ll open our third new store in four weeks at Washington Square Mall in Portland, Oregon. We’ll take a little break after that, then head to South Beach in Miami. I can’t wait to cruise Collins Ave and Ocean Drive in Model S!

We know that the Miami Beach store has been delayed. I think George abruptly switched from talking about the test drive tour, to discussing his travels to open new stores.

Larry