Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: New York, 7/20- 7-/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - I don't keep a car in the city (my Karma is at my LA house). Looks like I'm ZipCar-ing it since there doesn't appear to be easy public transit to this location. I think Tesla should have arranged transport from their Manhattan/Westchester stores to the drives.
I will be traveling from Westchester. If you are interested in taking a bus, they leave port authority to Mahwah throughout the day. Travel time is about the same as if you were driving.

http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/

For all of that, perhaps take a cab direct -- or rent a zipcar

I may end up doing that. But I should tell you - I'm the world's cheapest guy. The thought of spending $130 to rent a car for the day (or $90 [$16/hr x 4.5 hours + $15-20 tolls]) to go to Random town, NJ (aka Mahwah, NJ) from Manhattan just doesn't seem right. Tesla has no stores there, while they have one in Manhattan and one in Westchester. You'd think they'd have the test drive events at one of those two stores or at least provide transporation to the test drive site (or at least from some public transit point in Mahwah).

I may end up doing that. But I should tell you - I'm the world's cheapest guy. The thought of spending $130 to rent a car for the day (or $90 [$16/hr x 4.5 hours + $15-20 tolls]) to go to Random town, NJ (aka Mahwah, NJ) from Manhattan just doesn't seem right. Tesla has no stores there, while they have one in Manhattan and one in Westchester. You'd think they'd have the test drive events at one of those two stores or at least provide transporation to the test drive site (or at least from some public transit point in Mahwah).

Says the guy with a karma on the left coast! I agree though, odd place, but driving in NY is a pain on the best of days.

If you happen to drive a car with the textile interior perhaps you could post whether the front seats have the little kangaroo pouch like the leather seats do. Thanks and have fun on your test drive!

According to an update on FB, Sunset Red (the only one with the textile interior thus far) is indeed going to be in New York...well...New Jersey :)

Tesla Motors | Facebook

Tesla Motors shared a link.
35 minutes ago

We're getting amped in three cities this weekend! Check out these colors at each location:
Portland, OR: Silver, Pearl White (in store), Signature Red and Black (driving)
Denver, CO: Gray, Silver, Blue
New York: Sunset Red, Green, Brown, Pearl White, Silver

I've got one of these you can borrow. Oh wait, I'm not going to the event. Let me know if you want me to overnight it to you and you could mail it back on Monday.

Why do you need it? Don't they still have the Roadster HPC in CT?

Thanks! That feels like cheating you though :smile: I'll let you know ASAP (I know you need to know by like tomorrow morning).
The HPC is still there, but I didn't want to do a full charge while I was there (so that I could make it to the event and back there again without charging) -- was hoping to get to the event and let the car charge for several hours while I hang out at the event.
Tesla's not even able to charge the cars on-site. They have to charge them 3 miles off-site with the J1772 (i'm presuming 30 amps, too!) -- that's where I'd have to charge, too.

I have to admit it kinda bugs me that they hold events at places with no charging available. Like last winter when the Model S came to Boston - at the car museum. I wanted to come down from VT... but no charging was available at the event. Or last summer when the Model S came to the Boston Waterfront. No charging. Maybe I don't know the whole story but almost any hotel can have temporary NEMA 14-50 outlets installed for an event. I wonder how hard Tesla tried.

I have to admit it kinda bugs me that they hold events at places with no charging available. Like last winter when the Model S came to Boston - at the car museum. I wanted to come down from VT... but no charging was available at the event. Or last summer when the Model S came to the Boston Waterfront. No charging. Maybe I don't know the whole story but almost any hotel can have temporary NEMA 14-50 outlets installed for an event. I wonder how hard Tesla tried.

I work in Mahwah and know what goes on so get ready for this. Any temporary items like that are most likely illegal. You would have to install them permanently with permits and the whole 9 yards. They are a pain.
Unrelated but they outlaw anything that is legal elsewhere.